html coding question about fonts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: html coding question about fonts
Shock Trooper
Member # 360
Profile #0
I'm building a site but i wanna use a custom font.
How can I make sure the users see this font, cause if they dont have the font it will display as arial or something like that.

[ Sunday, October 19, 2003 11:27: Message edited by: Vaevictis Asmadi ]

--------------------
I'm back with less posting than ever.

We Was Tim

Alta vendetta
D'alto silenzio e figlia.
- Vittorio Alfieri,

You purchase pain with all that joy can give,
And die of nothing but a rage to live.
- Alexander Pope, Moral Essays (ep. II, l. 99)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
On my site, I said at the title page that "You need this font to properly view this page. Download it here."

I presume that there are more elegant and convenient ways to do this, maybe with stylesheets or something, but that kind of stuff is beyond me. The method I used works, even though it involves the visitors having to manually download a file.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 43
Profile #2
The only way I know of to be *sure* your site is viewed w/ the unique font is to turn your text into .gif files (or some other graphic form, but I recall hearing that gifs were the best for text-like graphics). Otherwise, you are dependent upon the page-visitor having the font in question installed (or be willing to install it), and unless you're using one of the fairly standard (arial, helvetica, verdana, comic sans, times new roman), odds start going against you.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
If you make your text into GIFs, it'll be annoying for people on slow connections and inaccessible to blind people who use text readers. Let the damn font display as Arial if people want it to display as Arial.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
gifs are extremely inconvenient, though, once you get something longer than titles or subtitles. Also, many people prefer to copy textual content onto a word processor, and that is impossible with a gif, unless you use OCR, which is a royal pain to have to do.

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #5
There is no portable, reliable way to ensure that a custom font will be downloaded and used by the client, and neither should there be.

If you're legally allowed to offer the font for download (remember, fonts are copyrighted!), go ahead and offer it for download, but that's the farthest you should go.

And don't use images for text. In addition to what Thuryl said, they look miniscule on high-resolution screens.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Apprentice
Member # 1947
Profile #6
If you specify a special font via CSS, you can use a certain, server-stored font. However, you have to use two types of font file, "eot" and "pfr", as some browser interpret one format, others the other one. To get infos on how to make such font files out of existing fonts, you have to consult http://www.truedoc.com/ - they provide some free fonts, but their website is badly programmed so that even browsers supporting their technology don't show it properly - and Microsoft's WEFT-page.
The syntax in CSS is:
code:<style type="text/css">
@font-face { font-family:Whatsitsname; src:url (folder/whatsitsname.eot), url(folder/whatsitsname.pfr); }
</style> [/code]Then, you can use this font via CSS-formatting normally. However, you should give people an alternative because some browsers do not support supplied fonts, and others even have problems mit CSS 2.0 .
Example for CSS-formatting in the header or a separate style sheet:
code:p { font-family:Whatsitsname,Times,serif; }[/code]This gives all <p>-Tags the font Whatsitsname; if it isn't available, it uses Times and, as a last resort, the font the browser uses for any "serif"-font (e.g. Times, Garamond, Baskerville, ...)
For more details, consult any help on CSS 2.0.

--------------------
Plus ultra - Carolus Quintus
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #7
What kind of font are you so desperate on using, cos if it's just a normal font I'd just suggest letting people use Arial and Times and Courier etc. If it's like a fantasy, Tolkien-like font, then first of all I'm surprised and second you might just want to use gifs. Why Tolkien springs to mind I'll never know.

btw, just while I'm talking about that, is anyone else literate in the Tengwar or am I just strange?

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
I can read and write Tengwar fluently (well, not quite as quick as normal Latin letters). But then I'm strange too. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards html coding question about fonts_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 360
Profile #9
thx ppl for the help, especialy you dolin for the codes, will try them in a jiffy : p

[ Wednesday, October 22, 2003 07:34: Message edited by: Vaevictis Asmadi ]

--------------------
I'm back with less posting than ever.

We Was Tim

Alta vendetta
D'alto silenzio e figlia.
- Vittorio Alfieri,

You purchase pain with all that joy can give,
And die of nothing but a rage to live.
- Alexander Pope, Moral Essays (ep. II, l. 99)