Question about Profiles

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question about Profiles
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #0
Why is it that the Spidweb never added other Messenger services to their profile system? In other words, why is it that the only screen name you can give is for AOL Messenger? Why not add ones for Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. I haven't the faintest idea what ICQ is. Could someone explain these things to me?

Does everyone in California use AOL? Because we certainly would never be able to afford it. I use PA.net and have Internet Explorer on my computer. Even though I never use it. I use Netscape instead. It's almost sad to see that some people have never even heard of Internet Explorer or Netscape.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I don't know what California has to do with anything, but no, not everyone uses AOL. AOL Instant Messenger, however, is a free and very popular chat program. Many Spiderweb members have it and use it.

—Alorael, who knows very little about ICQ other than the fact that it's another chat program and that it involves lots of numbers instead of meaningful (sort of) screen names.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #2
AIM ID: sherlock1940s

I WTF you: WTF.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
Alorael is right.

Incidentally, on a Mac, Adium and Fire, and for a PC, Trillian, are better, IMO, than the official program, and are free.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I prefer AOL's client to Adium, partly because I prefer having multiple windows open to the tabbed interface Adium makes you use. Also, Adium's sound effects grate on my nerves, but I miss IMs from people if I have sound off.

Haven't tried Fire yet; I might give it a look.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
But icq has two big advantages over AIM:

- Getting a number ID for your profile instead of a screenname means that you can choose your displayed chat name without having to try 10 times before you get one that's unused. Displayed names can be the same, because icq defines your profile by the number instead of the screenname. Also, of course, it means you can change your screenname.

- While you're off, you can still receive messages. I sometimes left AIM on, and got some messages, but when I returned to the comp, the senders had all left already, so I couldn't reply. So instead of having that frustrating experience again, I leave AIM off all the time now, except when someone tells me to go on.

I have a Yahoo ID (it comes with your yahoo profile like the email account and the 15M webspace at geocities), but I don't have any messenger program for it, other than Trillian, which I don't use much nowadays.

And MSN doesn't work on my system.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
Adium can be made to use separate windows. It's in the Interface->Window mode section of the preferences. (It is indeed much better that way)

As for sounds, I don't find them too annoying (I only play a sound for the first message from someone and use dock bouncing to let me know about other messages), but you can change them, if you have some aiff files you want to use instead and if you are willing to dig (although it's probably more of a hassle than I'd be willing to go to)

I use Adium for AIM and Fire at the same time for ICQ.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #7
Unfortunately, I have a PC, so I don't know about any of the programs used on a Mac. And I don't like Mac computers very much.

Yahoo Messenger does the same thing as ICQ apparently. I know for a fact that you can send and receive messages while offline and the other person will get them. Yahoo Messenger is very easy to use and has what I think are the best of the smiley faces of any messenger on the Internet. I have MSN Messenger, but don't really use it because I have only one contact on it that I also have on Yahoo Messenger and AOL Messenger. So, we don't usually talk on it.

Is there anyone here who uses MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger? For some reason, people on AOL can't use Yahoo Messenger unless they download Internet Explorer first. I find Netscape to be faster than Internet Explorer. It all depends on the computer really.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
I tried MSN again, and I got a little further this time: I can run the program and create an account. But I can't log in. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Question about Profiles_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Murder, She Wrote:

Unfortunately, I have a PC, so I don't know about any of the programs used on a Mac. And I don't like Mac computers very much.

Yahoo Messenger does the same thing as ICQ apparently. I know for a fact that you can send and receive messages while offline and the other person will get them. Yahoo Messenger is very easy to use and has what I think are the best of the smiley faces of any messenger on the Internet. I have MSN Messenger, but don't really use it because I have only one contact on it that I also have on Yahoo Messenger and AOL Messenger. So, we don't usually talk on it.

Is there anyone here who uses MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger? For some reason, people on AOL can't use Yahoo Messenger unless they download Internet Explorer first. I find Netscape to be faster than Internet Explorer. It all depends on the computer really.

First: You make no damn sense.
Second: Who uses graphical smileys? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Question about Profiles_files/tongue.gif)

Also, http://www.mozilla.org/

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #10
I use graphical smilies. Sometimes too much. Ask BoEing, he'll tell you.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #11
He's the evil abuser of IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Question about Profiles_files/tongue.gif) .

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #12
What I meant by great smiley faces can be found at these sites. These you have to download onto your computer and use them to replace the originals for Yahoo. You can even mix smilies from different sources.

Yahoo Themes: Smiley Update File

Naughty Smilies

These are just a few of the sites I was able to find. But you can take any picture you want, and edit it so you can use it in Yahoo. I don't know if you can do that with many other Messenger services. Here is a smiley page I found where I am considering getting some smiley graphics for Yahoo. But in order for a friend to see them, they have to download the same graphics or edit them in the same way that you did.

Smiley's Smilies

That site has days when it won't come online or you can't get through to it. This might be one of those days.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Murder, She Wrote:

But in order for a friend to see them, they have to download the same graphics or edit them in the same way that you did.
Well, what's the point of suing custom smilies then? A lot of work for all the users, while you could do fine with the default set.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT