can you say @$$ on these boards?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: can you say @$$ on these boards?
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #25
'Wankers' (meaning those engaged in auto-erotic activity) is also apparently not in the US censors lexicon - can we have that one too?

Seriously - people on SW manage to belittle and abuse each other very effectively without using arbitrarily tabooed words. I think more attention needs to be paid to the tone of posts and less to particular words used.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #26
Indeed. The recognition of "sir" as an insult is nice, and of course everyone knows better than to throw around terms like "aggregation of lumber" without really meaning it. Yes, we have seen a new phrase from its founding event to recognized use. Linguists should now swoon.

—Alorael, who thinks that angry posting is inevitable. However, when profanity is used heavily rationality and coherence go out the window. And those profanities seem to offend people more than non-profane insults do. So certain words are forbidden while anger is expressed in more interesting and creative ways.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
A little like how lawyers use "my learned friend", I guess.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #28
Over here, politicians call each other "honourable member" (of Parliament, not that other sort of member). This is usually taken ironically, especially by non-MPs.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
And what, precisely, does 'aggregation of lumber' mean? IMAGE(can you say @$$ on these boards (2)_files/confused.gif)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #30
It's a large grouping of wood, preferably in the more readily usable form of sticks; for ease of carrying, these sticks may come in a bundle.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #31
Damn, I feel insulted already! IMAGE(can you say @$$ on these boards (2)_files/tongue.gif)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
In the good ol' US, congress members call each other fruitcakes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #33
That wiould be considered 'unParliamentary langauge' here, with the offending MP being sent into a corner wearing a big pointy hat with a 'D' on it until the Speaker says s/he can come back. It'd probably be equally accurate though.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #34
i meant ass the animal type ass, well known for it's stuborness and rugged durability. ass got the same meaning as rear (derriere) because it sounds an awful lot like german arse. (I heard this somewhere.)

what about dew neh loh moh, or matyeryebyets, or other words that you know are cuss words (foul language is a better tag) but don't know exactly what they mean?

normaly I agree completely with Alorael and member 431 and all the other puritan members, but now I am being an ass. (it is interesting that comedians often use foul language to make people laugh, and that cursing and singing are completely seperate from normal speech.)

)This message brought to you by the Ad Council: Foul Language is for people with small minds.

edit: spelling. of a name. just guess whose.

[ Monday, October 06, 2003 13:19: Message edited by: @$$ ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Apprentice
Member # 2933
Profile Homepage #35
it's hard to emotionally be upset to _type_ a swearword. it's a deliberate act. when i curse for real it's usually a highly emotional experience with a flared temper and a red complexion. i think it'd be good to refrain from swearing to prevent the odd kid or two who'd go overboard. that scene from the movie old school seems to come to mind.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #36
You're a freaking gimmick, PF.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #37
I don't know, demon, I swear all the time and it's obligatory at my workplace. I constantly have to restrain myself from casually swearing for emphasis or even as description on these boards. I feel my spontaneity of expression is being impeded - esp. as said kids know all those words anyway, as I did aged 9 or whatever. What fun we had writing them on bus stops, people's gates, etc! I was going to suggest they each post the most taboo word they know and then we pitch the level of free expression as one below that, but somehow it wouldn't work (both because they'd then automatically know the others, worse words and because who'd quantify these things anyway?).

Still, 'rules are rules' and I abide by them, however silly, because community is about people sticking to things we mutually consent to even if we find such social conventions personally inhibiting.
Apprentice
Member # 2933
Profile Homepage #38
don't get me wrong, i've been guilty of cursing at my monitor or even flipping it the bird on more than one occasion.

Pages