The next spidweb game.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The next spidweb game.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #0
Trying to keep it simple.

Poll Information
This poll contains 5 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=UyhnbZyCJIsv"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=UyhnbZyCJIsv"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_windowIMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/votenow.gif)[/url]     IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/voteresults.gif)[/url]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Apprentice
Member # 3135
Profile #1
Perhaps Jeff should colaborate with others using the the internet. Maybe they can make some of the grapics/programming for free, appear in the credits, and use this as work experience when looking for a job for a bigger software company. who knows...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
What I'd especially like to see is another game set in Ermarian (that's the world of Exile/Avernum FYI); doesn't necessarily need to be set after A3/E3, but should explain a lot more about the background of the world.

But that's just my opinion, and I bet the people here who'd agree with me on this can be counted on one hand. Besides Jeff has said he'll never do it anyway. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/frown.gif)

Another Geneforge could be cool, but I'm in no position to say that since I only ever played half the demo of G1, and that was a year ago. My current PC can't run Geneforge, nor Avernum 3... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/mad.gif)

Jeff might hire some additional programmer, that would perhaps cut down on development time. And the next one to suggest he should get a job at a large company will be executed slowly. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/tongue.gif) You'll see, the best game makers are the independant ones; especially concerning RPGs. Large companies focus too much on the graphics, and have too little time to work on a decent plot.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Lifecrafter
Member # 585
Profile Homepage #3
If I remember correctly, he took graphic submissions for Avernum, but the fact is, collaboration between two independent developers can be disasterous. Best to let Jeff do his own thing.

--------------------
The many faces of Logalot
--------------------
Polaris Roleplaying and Debating Board- 'Nuf said
--------------------
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #4
I think the poll could have benefited from multiple choice answers for the question about which is most important to you (perhaps rewording the question to 'which of these elements is important to you').

I answered lots of story, but could just easily have gone for lots of NPCs with personalities (probably one reason why A3 isn't my favourite Spiderweb game - all those boring generic NPCs) or for puzzles, challenge, and new interesting twists. All three of these elements are part of what makes Spiderweb games enjoyable for me.

In a way graphics are important too - primarily because they are NOT game-slowing, resource-hungry, state of the art graphics that require the latest gee-whiz computer to run at a reasonable speed. If Spiderweb had graphics like that, I wouldn't have purchased the games as they'd be unplayable on my system.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #5
So...conclusions:

1. A new fantasy RPG.
2. Make sure it has an outstanding story, NPC personality.
3. Puzzles, challenges - no shiite.
4. Jeff should try to get help but stay in control.
5. A really really smart white male between the ages of 9 and 22 1/2 puts a small piece of putty in an undead jelly filled dragon-scaled statuette animated by the powers of craziness inhabiting these boards and concludes that this poll stinks.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Those of you that haven't had a chance to play GF2 don't know that GF3 is set up perfectly in the ending.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
So GF3 will definitely come, then?

Hope I get a new comp in the meantime... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/rolleyes.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #8
My conclusions:

1. A new RPG, preferably Fantasy, but Sci-Fi or Historical would be ok as well.
2. Atmosphere! Ominous and creepy, keeping you on the edge of your seat through long, caffeine-drenched nights. A good story is vital, and so is a good challenge, but Atmosphere is everything. (This is why Nethegate and E2 are the best of Spiderweb's games)
3. I haven't registered GF or BoE, and I'm on a PC so as the Macnazi would say: No GF2 for you!
4. I think Jeff can do it more or less alone, how much help he wants to employ is totally up to him.
5. Pretty darn handsome.

I think we'll have to wait a looong time for a really new game. We'll have BoA, GF3 and probably a "Blades (or something) of Geneforge" as well.

Dou you know what I'd like to see after BoG? Geneforge on the Exile 3 engine. Or on something like the Arcanum game engine. If you have to try your hand at this isometric thingie, then either make it real pretty, or totally retro (I'm thinking Ultima 6 Stylee).

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
A GF based on the Exile engine would be like a StarWars movie reenacted in B/W, without sound, IMHO. Not that the Exile engine sucks, it's just that the Geneforge one is more highly developed. I know that too much graphic quality distracts from the game plot, but I found the GF engine much easier to handle than Exile, and in some places Avernum (Do you know how much time I sometimes spend trying to get on the space exactly in front of a door, because the interface always makes my party take two steps at once?).

I'd much more like to see the contrary: A remake of Exile/Avernum based on the GF engine. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #10
Anything with Jar Jar Binks in it would be better without sound so IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

It's not that the Geneforge engine sucks, it's just horribly unattractive. I don't think too much graphics quality detracts from plot, I just think some people don't realize the importance of a good story (or can't come up with one) so they try (and fail) to compensate with flashy graphics.

We've already had the graphics of Exile downgraded twice. Enough already. (One thing I do like about the Avernums though is the new stat/skill system.)

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Logalot Beyond:

....but the fact is, collaboration between two independent developers can be disasterous. Best to let Jeff do his own thing.
That's not a fact at all. Unless one of them is a pig-headed primadonna with an extremely inflated self concept, two skilled developers can create much better work than either alone.

Oh, wait. Never mind.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #12
Two things about the geneforge engine i didn't like:
Moving the middle screen around (I don't know what to call it.) to see where you are going was difficult, ie you had to switch hands on the keyboard or move the mouse over to the minimap and move it back every time.

and:

I couldn't see items well enough to suit me. On the whole, though, it is a great engine. And it may be fixed by now.

The collaboration question was not serious, I know it won't really happen, I just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

ps. I would never describe myself as: this poll stinks. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------

That's treason.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #13
Of course, BoA is going to be next now Jeff has GF2 out the way. Will GF3 be next after that? Almost certainly, given the 'last door' hook Jeff left at the end of GF2.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
And bog after that! IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 55
Profile Homepage #15
In my opinion, the Geneforge engine sucked goats and the Geneforge series as a whole couldn't hold a candle to Avernum's cool factor. But since Avernum's cool factor would be significantly lowered by an Avernum 4, new fantasy series gets my vote. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/tongue.gif)
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #16
For the first question, the question was the 'next type' of Spiderweb game ... so I assumed that you meant a new type (given that GF2 & BOA are the current types, either recently released or in the works).

As for the last question, I'm neither male nor under 22 and a 1/2. And while I may be reasonably intelligent, I don't consider myself really really smart. Ignoring the other silly options, I was left with 'this poll stinks'.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3390
Profile #17
i would like to see a game about the first expedition. this game has only one objective. get the hell out of exile/avernum, alive. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards The next spidweb game_files/biggrin.gif)

--------------------
Call 1-800-NOT-1337
--------------------
Disturbing the dead since 1986.
--------------------
All your ass are belong to ME!
--------------------
NEVER underestimate your enemies
Never OVERestimate your friends
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #18
I think it would be quite cool to see a game with a slightly different or more interesting stats or magic system. The current 'get experience points and spend them on stats' and 'buy/find spells and spend MP on using them' is fine, but it would be interesting to see it work a bit differently. I like the way, for example, in the Final Fantasy series, theres always a different system for each game.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #19
M6mmi: that would by a good idea for a BoE scenario. They don't ALL have to come after E3.

My deepest apologies, Kyna.

And as to the collaboration question, the real reason I included it was to see how many spidweb members would be interested in helping. I probably should have worded it: I would like to help or would be interested in having other spidwebbers help.

X: so we have plenty of time to come up with an idea for the next series!

--------------------

That's treason.