Help, people

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Help, people
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #0
I've got to direct a play in a drama competition that lasts ~10-15 minutes. Preferrably comedy, and easy to act (This is an in-school competition, so the acting quality varies massively).

The problem is, I'm an uncultured heathen, and I don't know of a single play that fits the bill. If anyone has any ideas, please please post them.

(The rehearsing starts as soon as we get back in September. Yes, that leaves me a month and a half. I'll need it.)

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #1
Oh, but what could be better than Shakerspeare then? IMAGE(Help, people_files/tongue.gif)

Ahem.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Look for something by Menander. Ancient Greek comedy is different from modern, but it's still very good.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #3
I suppose you could cut a Shakespeare play down a bit....take Othello for instance...

Act 1, Scene 1

[Enter Othello and Desdemona]
Othello:Let us away to Cyprus where we may kill all the cruel Turks!
Desdemona: I will away with thee, my liege!
Othello: Away we go then!
Desdemona: Othello, I love thee!
[Exit]

Act 2, Scene 1

[Enter Othello and his army]
Othello: Oh dear, the Turks seem to have taken their leave. Well, shall we all go and get pissed?
[Soldiers cheer]
[Exit]

Act 2, Scene 2
[Enter Othello and Iago]
Iago: Beware the green-eyed monster with nasty big pointy teeth, my lord, for it will consume you. By the way, I am completely trustworthy.
[Iago winks at audience]
Othello:I have never doubted you, loyal Iago. Kiss me!
Iago: Er....
[Exit]

Act 3, Scene 1
[Enter Othello and Iago]
Iago: I must tell you, my lord, that Desdemona has become a bit of a whore lately.
Othello: Oh damnation! Well, that's all the proof I need my loyal Iago! Away to the lodging-house to murder the deceitful cur!
[Exit Othello]
Iago: Hee hee hee.
[Exit Iago]

Act 3, Scene 2
[Desdemona is lying reading a book]
[Enter Othello]
Othello: Aha!
Desdemona: How do you, my -
[Othello pulls out a dagger and stabs her]
Desdemona: Oh dear, oh dear, the pain of it all!
[Desdemona dies]
[Enter Iago]
Iago: Whoops, oh well, by the way I was only kidding.
Othello: Oh mercy!
[Othello stabs himself]
Iago: Oh.
[Iago shrugs and exits]

END

......or you could not IMAGE(Help, people_files/smile.gif)

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #4
There's that thing by Sam Beckett where they all walk around in circles in near-darkness for 15 minutes, moaning occassionally. Not a lot of lines to learn and the right length....
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
Does it have to be one that's already written? If not you could write one yourself... I don't know how many good comedies you're going to find that last 15 minutes, at most... and I guess if you can't write your own you could shorten a play, but I think one written specifically for 15 minutes would be better. Excluding that circle thing, of course...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #6
Oscar Wilde. I know he's got some one-acters, and you can't go wrong with good old flamboyant Oscar.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #7
RentBoy is right - Oscar Wilde is great.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
The first act of Waiting for Godot!
Or both acts, but you could just do it really quickly.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
For a real suggestion, I'd advise David Ive's one-act play Sure Thing. It has a lot of lines and only two actors, though, so if you're short on time or skilled memorizers then I'd skip it.

—Alorael, who is a fan of Psychoanalysis and The Bible as well. Both of them are a bit politically incorrect, though, and he can't remember the playwright(s) name(s). With titles like those, you can't really Google them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #10
Can't help with that, Alorael, but would like to suggest John Osborne and Harold Pinter. Also, because I like him, Dario Fo.

--------------------
Polaris