I wonder...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I wonder...
Apprentice
Member # 3155
Profile Homepage #0
Exile, Geneforge, and Avernum are all great games... it seems like alot of people have registered... how come spiderweb software hasn't looked in to making any of their games on a console like ps2?

--------------------
hey...
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
Too expensive. Spidweb is a mom and pop company. Also, the ps2 market is dominated by the likes of the Final Fantasy games. Nothing Spidweb has could compete with that in terms of graphics, which is really all people play consoles in particular for.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #2
If I was Jeff I would take a chance and beef up the graphics, then I would go public. Like one day I plan on publishing my books and take a chance and advertise them, then make them into movies if the books sale. But I would have something to fall back on, Jeff might only have this company, so if he isn't lucky he could loose everything. But if I was him I would still take a chance.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #3
"Beefing up graphics" isn't so easy. You have to buy powerful equipment, hire a team of graphic designers, etc. Final Fantasy 10 took about 4 years to make, I believe, and that's with a group of more than fifty people. Even for graphics of half the quality (which would still be very good), Jeff would probably need to hire at least five people if he didn't want to work on a single game for fifteen years.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Even if Jeff could get an existing company to help him out, I don't think he'd want to. He's made it very clear that he likes being able to keep his own schedule, make his games exactly the way he wants, and generally be his own boss in all things. He's lose that freedom if he joined a company, or even if he expanded Spiderweb.

—Alorael, who isn't sure he'd want to play "beefed up" Spiderweb games. They'd be more expensive, of course, and there would probably be important elements lost to making the games more pretty.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
I don't think the games would be the same with beefed up graphics, on a PS2. He could make completely new games for PS2, but why would he? I think if he has a completely new idea (completely new ≠ Geneforge) he would use it for a computer game, not console.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #6
Sorry that was a bad Idea. I guess the SpiderWeb games are fine just as they are.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #7
Yea i like them just like they are now.

--------------------
Don't expect the expected
expect the unexpected
if you expect the expected
I expect you will remain unexpected.
Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #8
And most of our games ARE better than the PS2 ones anyway (No offense to Square, but IF you want to do another good FF...) :P

--------------------
You go in, You go out, Repeat if necessary. - The Official Moron Guide For Sex

Be disgusted! (Not really)
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
"Our" games? And who, exactly, are you?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #10
Our=Spidweb. I thought you would have guessed... :rolleyes:

--------------------
You go in, You go out, Repeat if necessary. - The Official Moron Guide For Sex

Be disgusted! (Not really)
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #11
You kind of made it sound like you are a Co-owner of the company.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!