Content ratings

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Content ratings
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #0
I am creating some BoE scenarios. Although I am only beginning to create my scenarios, I would like to know what I should set the content rating to. Could someone please tell me how to work out a scenario's content rating. :confused: A content rating is like G, PG, M, MA and R in Australia. In Spiderweb Software it is G, PG and R.

WARNING: IRRELLAVENT NOTE! In Australia, G means general public (everyone) PG means parental guidance recommended for people under 15, M means reccomended for mature audiences (Reccomended for people 15 & over) MA means mature accompanied (This is restricted and means that if you are under 15 you must be accompanied by an adult to see it) R means Restricted and you MUST be 18 (the age of consent in Australia) or over

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 13:51: Message edited by: Aussieavernum ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
G=G
PG=PG
R=M

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #2
G, PG, and R are the American content ratings. (There's also PG-13, but Jeff left it out of BOE).

G means General Audiences (Completely clean, everyone admitted) PG means Parental Guidance (Almost harmless, maybe a couple of fart jokes or something) and R is Restricted (Adult material, no one under 17 admitted without accompanying parent or guardian).

See MPAA
Note that this is pretty outdated; PG is basically the new G, and 8-year olds are allowed to see PG-13 movies with no protest.

In general, your basic BOE scenario is PG. If there's no combat at all and a happy-fun-bunnies plot, it's probably G. If you've got several gruesome murders, it's probably R.

However, scenario designers tend to overrestimate gore; Spears or Falling Stars are PG in my opinion, but they're rated R.

EDIT: Ash Lael has beaten me. Well, I have more words. Ha!

[ Monday, May 08, 2006 14:09: Message edited by: Little Billy Sue ]

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

However, scenario designers tend to overrestimate gore; Spears or Falling Stars are PG in my opinion, but they're rated R.
I beg to differ. Falling Stars definitely earns its R rating. Most of it isn't too objectionable, sure, but one or two parts don't belong in a PG scenario. (Of course, with Falling Stars being what it is, many players will miss those parts, but they're still there.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #4
There are some ratings out there I have trouble understanding, though. I mean, why would tehGRICH2 be rated NC-17? Is it a joke? Or did I miss something?
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #5
I wouldn't worry about tehGRICH or tehGRICH2 if I were you…

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
TG2 is a joke.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
IMAGE(http://moviejpegs1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Frieza.jpg)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Little Billy Sue:

G, PG, and R are the American content ratings. (There's also PG-13, but Jeff left it out of BOE).

G means General Audiences (Completely clean, everyone admitted) PG means Parental Guidance (Almost harmless, maybe a couple of fart jokes or something) and R is Restricted (Adult material, no one under 17 admitted without accompanying parent or guardian).

See MPAA
Note that this is pretty outdated; PG is basically the new G, and 8-year olds are allowed to see PG-13 movies with no protest.
That is not what I am talking about. :(

quote:
In general, your basic BOE scenario is PG. If there's no combat at all and a happy-fun-bunnies plot, it's probably G. If you've got several gruesome murders, it's probably R.

That what I am talking about :) but VoDT (Valley of Dying Things is not a "happy-fun-bunnies" plot but it is G. But you are probably right about R.
And I don't play Falling Stars or Spears and I won't for a while because I don't want my Mother looking at my computer just because I am playing one of those scenarios.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Um, those two halves of the post are very closely related. The point is that the BoE ratings are supposed to work like movie ratings.

I'm fairly certain that people basically note "R" or "not R." If your scenario has blood and guts (so to speak), it's R. Otherwise, it's not R.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Given that there's a general perception that there's been some degree of rating inflation in recent scenarios, it may also be worthwhile to put a little note in your readme explaining why you're giving your scenario an R rating.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #11
I didn't say that I was going to make my scenario R. I said that I thought that Little Billy Sue was right about R and gruesome murders. I want to play my own scenario without my mother looking at my computer all the time.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
My take on the R is the level of detail. If there's normal kill the bandits stuff, no harm done. However, if you go into exacting details about how the victim was dismembered, you may want to consider an R rating.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
However, I think some scenarios are just rated R so the player can't say it "shouldn't have been PG", though it's not really R. Analogous to setting beginning scenarios on Very High party level to prevent enemy HP doubling.

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
Pretty much. Maybe half of R scenarios deserve that rating.

And then there are the occasional PG scenarios that deserve an R rating, but there's not many of those.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

And then there are the occasional PG scenarios that deserve an R rating, but there's not many of those.
Hi!!!!

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00