Huh, where to start ?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Huh, where to start ?
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by ben2:

quote:
Originally written by PDF:
My "Paladin" and "pure mage" surely aren't optimal, but I created them for RP reasons - after all isn't that the whole point of the game ?
Not really if you're intent on winning. An "optimal" party will be better at the beginner stage than a "seems most traditional" party.

Sorry, but having to do that kills the whole RPG concept... If I want to do that I play a tactical combat game, not a RPG.
:rolleyes:

--------------------
PDF
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #26
Using a somewhat inferior party, I was able to have the three magi haste themselves first round. (This requires living the first archer's volleys, but that's feasible.)

Then each mage will have 8AP, letting them each cast Conflagration twice. Dump 6 castings on the bandits (and anyone else who you can manage), wiping them all out. The archer and evil acolyte alone are manageable.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #27
I agree with your 'RPG' concept, in terms of party structure. ;) . . I also use those with no obvious real benefit just for fun, and went through most of the scenarios. I think none of those above meant to force you to change than just to give their 'strong' opions.

If it comes to initial survival strategy you might want to read the thread below, in case you have not done so yet: Getting my butt kicked

quote:

Originally written by PDF
I didn't find any "functioning" shops, the blacksmith *tells* he's ok to sell stuff but nothing appears !
I wonder whether you have sorted the problem out yet. I went back to play it and found that the shop keeper 'Petty' offers to sell 'weapons, shields, and armour' and that a good range up to the iron class. I wonder whether you have neglected telling him what you want to buy.

I managed to get out of the first encounter of the Bandits alive, with the default party of BoE by hasting my mages as solomon stroke suggested above, but progress afterwards proved a bit too tedious for me. . . well having to come back to town after every single battle to rest (by pressing long-wait)and so on.

If you find it too difficult, one thing you can do without resorting to Editor or Trainer, would be to eqiup your party with nice custom made weapons and armour using the Scenario Editor. Say. . . if you make 99 arrows with 0 weight, 40 damage and flaming, then a bow that hastes you occasionally with hefty bonus, and name it whatever nasty one you wish. That will give you every reason to make everyone archers. . . but well yes, that sounds even worse cheating.

[ Thursday, March 03, 2005 22:34: Message edited by: whitenightever ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #28
(This is TM, by the way.)

For the rest of Bandits, the spell Sleep Cloud is VERY effective. In fact, it works on the Rakshasa, and does WONDERS on the "ambush". You can also wait inside of dungeons.

Against the trophies, charm the nearest ones with hasted magi. They're quasi-vulnerable to this, making it a decent strategy.

The "final" boss is easy enough.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #29
Finally sombody deciphers a mystery. . . sorry TM ;)

Edit: That sombody also deciphered, belatedly, that TM is the maker of the scenario under discussion! Thank You. - personally.

[ Friday, March 04, 2005 13:15: Message edited by: banned member ]
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #30
Well, with some more experience (I mean as a player !) I did find some neat combos like Force Wall+ Conflagration+ Sleep Cloud :cool: to dispose of foes!
But still in the first Bandit fight I can't beat the bandit group without having at least 1 PC killed ... :(
Oh and for buying stuff I was against misled by BoA experience, I didn't think of asking about weapons/armor, I just clicked "Buy" :rolleyes: :D !
What's fun is that BoE combat and party management is much more tactically rich and challenging than in BoA... Why did the designers "tone down" features/spells in BoA ??
:confused:

--------------------
PDF
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
As regards features lost from BoE to BoA, apparently dual-wielding was taken out mainly because it would require an extra graphics slot, and area-of-effect spells were taken out because BoA's targeting system doesn't support them very well (it requires a creature as a target, as you'll have noticed when trying to cast Cloud of Blades in BoA).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages