Huh, where to start ?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Huh, where to start ?
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #0
Hi again,
After trying BoA I bought it, and after seeing the crapload of BoE scenarios available I just got it too :cool:
I've been quite surprised at discovering that BoE looks rather much rich, in terms of skills, tactics, spells etc ... than BoA, which I thought was "better", and think I will enjoy BoE even more :)
So now the question is : where to start, I mean which scenarios ?
I don't want to start with VoDT, as I just completed it in BoA it would be too much redundant. Still there are scores of highly rated and appetizing scenarios don't know where to start ! (I've found all the stuff at Spiderweb's, Lycaeum and Alexandria, and don't need "technical" advice)
Could someone guide me through the (spider)web of scenarios and propose a "tour" for a beginning party (that is a relatively consistent series of scenarios leading the party from level 1 to god like status if possible :D ) ?
Thanks

--------------------
PDF
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
For a beginner, Spears is a high-quality and relatively easy scenario that will take a party from level 1 to a medium/high level (20-ish, depending on how many advantages your party has). From there, you could try out a good, small scenario for high-level parties, like Truffle Days or Requelle's Nightmare. Above that... well, the problem with Very High level scenarios is that the good ones aren't easy, and the easy ones aren't good.

Any scenario made by Alcritas will be very good, but the combat tends toward the difficult side so I wouldn't recommend his works until you're a more experienced player.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
A list of ranked scenarios: http://p080.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm27.showMessage?topicID=310.topic

Some suggestions:

An Apology (low-med level party)
Spears (lvl 1/low level party)
Quintessence (provides a party)
Nephil's Gambit (low level party)
Tatterdemalion (lvl 1 party)
Of Good And Evil (low level party, I think)
Emulations (provides a party)
Chains (provides a party)
Requelle's Nightmare (med lvl party)
On a Ship to Algiers (lvl 1 party)

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 03:37: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #3
Hard to say, not knowing how you like to play. There are so many really good scenarios out there, now.
I can say that if you're new to the style of play, look at the size of the zipped file and try one that's small. It shouldn't take too long to complete.
However, I'm really predjudiced to Tatterdemalion.
It's a three part scenario where, after an introduction, you select which of the three Party characteristics you want to play: Bodyguards, (Fighters), Holy Ones, (Priests), or Sorcerers, (Mages).
All three scenarios are linked to an overall story line, but play differently to three separate endings.
By playing all three scenarios, you'll be able to better understand the three Player attributes, giving you a better understanding for future scenarios.
Also, if you do play this "game", play it in that order; Bodyguards, Holy Ones, then Sorcerers. Others have played only one of the scenarios and made comment that it wasn't all they had hoped for, but I think they missed the overall "theme" of the story.
Then, there's a site run by "Gizmo" that posts walk throughs for scenarios. Although this "spoils" the experience of playing them, you can see the actual stories themselves and understand what's involved playing them.
And......... different authors write differently, so you may find you favor one style over another.
Lastly, read the reviews on scenarios on the "boards". This is probably the best way to decide what ones you might want to start with.
Posts: 257 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #4
Thanks for the useful info :)
I've already read some reviews/rankings, and indeed noticed Tatterdemalion (note : what can this mean ?). But I feared it was somewhat too big for a starter.
Noticed "An Apology" too (and the general feeling that its designer as a very good one AND makes hard fights), but it is designed for a "low level" party, not a beginner one.
I think I'll go with "Spears" :)

As for my style of play, well, I tend to go on the "gamer" side, I can't refrain from enjoying tactical fights and gizmo hunting, but still largely prefers well done scenarios to bashing contest :rolleyes: .
Does not some "series" exist, where you can play (more or less) related scenarios one after another ? I've still fond souvenirs of the famous AD&D dungeon series like A1-A2-A3-A4, G1-G2-G3-D1-D2-D3 - which were quite poor adventures indeed but I didn't bother when I played them a loooong time ago... ;)

--------------------
PDF
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
The best series is the Arc, which is all of Alcritas' scenarios.

Tatterdemalion means 'The Raggedy Man' in the scenario and in English, which you will soon learn if you play it.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 04:44: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #6
* The Adventurer's Club 1, 2 and 3 are a series (surprise...)

* All Alcritas' scenarios related (more or less) except for Kalloskagathos

There must be more but I don't remember them right now.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #7
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Adventurer's Club! Now I'm pretty new to all the BoE scenarios myself, but if you want a game that will take you from lvl 1 to God and be enjoyable too then Adventurer's Club is great.
*note to self - Play AC2 and AC3 already!

EDIT: ACK! I wasted too much time changing chanels for the kids. Looks like milu beat me but the sentiment remains.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 04:56: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Some of TM's scenarios constitute a series (Echoes and Bandits). I'm not a big fan of them or the Adventurer's Clubs myself.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #9
I think Adventurer's Club, 1-2-3, are great, but they may be too involved if you're just starting out. Heck of a set of "seek & find" scenarios, though.
So is Spears. Not only an involved scenario, but some really well hidden "sides".
If you're up to higher level scenarios, you made a good choice!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Brett wrote a trilogy of scenarios, titled "Riddle of the Spheres", "Quest of the Spheres" and "Destiny of the Spheres" (hope I didn't jumble this). I don't know if there is a collective name for this series.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
There's a lot of serieses (sp?) out there. This is a comprehensive guide.

Drizzt's Trilogy (The Foresaken, Brotherhood of the Hand, and Shadow of the Stranger) - Excellent series, only trouble is you can't play with the same party right through. Aside from the difference in combat difficulty, you play different characters in different games - in fact, in Shadow, you meet the character you played in Brotherhood.

Zankozzie's Big Mistake/Chains - These two are a mini-series, though they probably should be stand-alones. No combat, puzzle-based scenarios. If you like them, check out Dirty Gold by the same author - a lesser scenario and not connected by storyline to the others, but in the same style.

Stareye's scenarios - The series begins with At the Gallows, continues with Foreshadows and then Spears (which was made before Foreshadows...), and then Emulations. Stareye's first scenario Spy's Quest is not a part of his series, and I'm not sure if his BoA scenario A Perfect Forest is or not - if so, the connection is slight. Good points, the scenarios are good, and they work well as individual scenarios, so you can enjoy one without having played any others in the series. However, if you do decide to play through the whole series, be warned - they are very big. At the Gallows takes place on an entire continent, and was the largest scenario ever when it came out. Spears is slightly smaller, but still massive. Foreshadows is a movie scenario and thus very quick, but exists mainly as set-up for Spears. Emulations is a good medium-length scenario.

The Arc - While we can argue about the relative quality of individual scenarios, there is no question that this is the best overall series. While there's the occasional let-down in the mix, so many of Alcritas' scenarios are so good, and there's so many of them, that this series is pretty much unbeatable. Unfortuantely, Al has pretty much stopped designing, and the series will almost certainly never be finished. The order they should be played in: On a Ship To Algiers (beginner, small, fairly difficult), Of Good and Evil (large, multi-path, high levels, difficult), Redemption (large, high levels, very difficult), An Apology (beginner, medium length, very difficult), Lamentations (high levels, fairly difficult, not up to Alcritas' usual standard but needs to be played for the overall storyline, fairly small), Falling Stars (large, use the same party from Lamentations, expect to replay it a lot so keep a save file right at the start, mostly not too difficult but has a very mean end sequence), Signs and Portents (movie scenario), and Tomorrow (continue with the same party from Falling Stars and Lamentations, short/medium size, average difficulty). He has a couple of others, but they can be omitted without hurting the story and aren't that great. You can also skip Algiers and Of Good and Evil without many troubles if you like, but you'd be missing out on a couple of class scenarios.

The Echoes Series - Terrors Martyr (going by Solomon Strokes on these boards at the moment) has made a frightening number of scenarios, and a fair few of them are a part of the Echoes series. However, you could probably play them in any order without it making a difference, as the plots are extremely difficult to understand anyway. I'd recommend playing Nebulous Times Hence, which is his best scenario and a stand-alone, to see if you like his style.

TM also made Bandits and Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star. However, I don't count these as a series. While some of the same characters are featured, Bandits II is much more a continuation of the Echoes series than of the Bandits storyline. Heck, it doesn't even have any bandits in it.

The Spheres Trilogy - From way back in the early days. Riddle of the Spheres was the first decent scenario released for BoE. This trilogy is meant to be played with the same party straight through, using a brand new one for Riddle. Quests of the Spheres is the second in the series and the best by a fair margin, Destiny is the last and while not actually bad, should probably be a lot smaller than it is. The Spheres Trilogy is pretty dated now, so you probably enjoy it more if you played it early on, before moving onto the more difficult and more flashy modern-style scenarios.

The Adventurer's Club Trilogy is comprised of a massive scenario (AC1), a huge scenario (AC2), and the largest scenario ever made (AC3). They are fairly old school style games (AC1 and AC3 in particular), and are good ones to start on if you enjoyed the Exiles and Avernums. Just be warned that it'll take a while for you to finish them.

The lost_king Trilogy - If you value your sanity, never ever play these scenarios.

Demon Island I and II - If you ever choose to play these, use a God party. Mainly it's just kill demons, kill demons, kill demons, but there's some cool technical trickery (especially in Demon Island II) that may make them worth playing. Or may not.

Doom Moon I and II - Start with a medium level party in the first one, and take it into the sequel. These scenarios have really tough enemies, but they also load you up with really powerful weapons. Any party that goes through these scenarios will be too powerful to use again, except for stuff like the Demon Island scenarios. The Doom Moons have a shaky storyline and really bad spelling (English was a second language for the designer), but they also have good puzzles and some really cool technical tricks. Doom Moon II in particular has influenced a lot of designers.

Teh Grich 1 and 2 - TM, designer of the Echoes series, made these. They are very short and are designed as a parody of one of the most hated scenarios ever - The Grinch. Basically, they are intentionally really terrible. May be worth playing, one day.

The Chicken Plague Trilogy - Made by Brave Sir Robin. Haven't played them myself. I gather that essentially you just kill chickens for three scenarios. Was intended as a comedy series, but not appreciated by many.

Our Man Vlad and Our Man Vlad: Redemption - Also by Brave Sir Robin, and also scenarios that I have not played. No one seems to like them much.

The Lost Tunnels Part 1 and 2 - Okay, nothing special, put off these until you're done with the really good ones (which will take a good year or so).

The Kurnis/Uganta series - Four scenarios, designed by myself and my brother under the name of "The Creator". The first, Isle of Boredom, has some bugs and stuff and is the weakest. However, I do think it's worth playing if you like puzzles, combat you have to think about to win, and nifty technical stuff. Ugantan Nightmare was the first movie scenario, and was made in a week to demonstrate this really cool animation trick we'd developed (and has since been used in a lot of other scenarios). To Live in Fear is another movie scenario. They should be played/watched after Isle of Boredom but before Revenge, the last in the series. Revenge is our best scenario, is medium in length, and really difficult. It's also designed so that you don't need to play any of the scenarios before it - however it doesn't work in reverse. Playing Revenge first is fine if you just want to get to the good bit, but will spoil parts of the earlier scenarios. Generally, all of our scenarios are hard and are designed for people who've played a lot of BoE and know what they're doing, so you probably want to hold off on playing them for a while. We also have a couple of small stand-alone efforts called Areni and Deadly Goblins. Our scenarios tend to feature character-driven stories, really nasty combat, and really, really flashy tech stuff.

If I've missed any, I'll add them in later.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 15:14: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #12
I am sure you will find much fun in downloading and playing however you would. I just add a few tips, hope these are not included in the 'technical' advice you mentioned. If yes, ummm. . . sorry :)

/make multiple save files at different level/

As some other members already said in different threads. This will save your time, when you get bored of creating new parties all the time. It's like taking picture of your party at a certain level. In my case I have two different parties all of whom have lv1, lv20, lv30 save files. Various different scenarios required different level and you are not likely to play all of them in one sequence according to your party's development.

/make multiple scenario folder/

I am using PC and it took sometime for me to realise that if you have more than a certain number (20?) of scenarios in your scenario folder BoE would not recognise the excesses. At first I thought there were problems with downloading. I ended up making scenario folders 1, 2, 3, 4 and changing the name to 'scenario folder' according to the particular scenario I want to play. - does it make sense?

Regarding which scenario to play, I enjoyed most of the scenarios that appear as solid adventure - well, I think many of them were better than those three provided by Jeff. And whatever you start with, I think you'll end up playing most of them.

I wish to play some of your scenarios someday.
Appy adventuring!

Edit: almost forgotten. . . after playing, you can show your appreciation and

/place your review/

at the Spidweb review page.

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 18:04: Message edited by: whitenightever ]
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #13
Thanks Whitenightever for the "technical" info, I didn't include what you say in the "unnecessary" stuff ;)
Ash Lael, many thanks for you complete "series guide", this should be stickied somewhere ! :)

I decided finally to start with Bandits... Got my *ss kicked as soon as I left the town, my 1st level noob party is no match for the (seemingly) 5+ level bandits ! :rolleyes:
Well, maybe I should have bought some more equipment (not much with the starting gold...) but I didn't find any "functioning" shops, the blacksmith *tells* he's ok to sell stuff but nothing appears ! :confused:

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 23:56: Message edited by: PDF ]

--------------------
PDF
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
As designers have become better and better players, they've made their scenarios harder and harder to keep their work interesting and challenging to themselves and their core audience. The negative effect of this is that it becomes very, very difficult for a new player. I remember the old days when I found VoDT tough. :)

My suggestion is to either play the earlier and easier scenarios first (like, say, the Spheres Trilogy or Nightfall), or to get a bit of advice on tactics and designing a good party. Be warned, take the latter option and you'll get a whole lot of conflicting advice and will then have to decide which suggestions to use anyway!

That said, I'll throw in my two cents:

- There are a number of skills that are practically useless. Investing in these is a waste of time and money. Poison, Lockpicking, Alchemy, Thrown Missles and Archery are all skills that have pretty much no value.

- Similarily, there are 8 or 9 spells 80% or 90% of players use 80% or 90% of the time. Haste and Bless are the most important. Juicing up a fighter with multiple hastes and blesses is one of the most used tactics in BoE. Generally speaking I find that parties work best if you use your spellcasters to enhance your fighters rather than trying to get them to win the battle themselves.

- While you'd think you're better off with more people on your team, a lot of players use less than 6PC parties. This means that the XP gets split between less PCs, so they get more each, so they go up levels quicker. More guys vs. better guys. the 1PC party is quite popular. I prefer a 2PC myself.

- Strength is one of the best skills in the game. Aside from determining how good you are in combat, it decides how much your HP increases every time you level up. Since enough blessings will mean that your fighters hit most all the time anyway, I'll usually pour tons of points into strength early on and neglect other combat skills till later.

- It's more efficient to have a couple of mage/priests than specialist characters.

Just some pointers to help you get started. Have fun!

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #15
Ash Lael, thanks for the help.
Still I think I made a strong party, following advice from the BoE FAQ. I have :

1 big Saurian Fighter (polearm)- 20 hp
1 "Paladin" - Fighter/priest (2 levels)-18 hp
1 Feline Thief with Bow skill -16 hp
1 Saurian "Shaman" Mage 3/Priest 3 - 12 hp
1 specialist mage lvl 5 -10 hp

First combat is against 5 bandits w/sword, 2 archers and a mage, each having 40-some HP (excpet the mage)
I did use some "buffs", succeeded in charming 1 archer (his former friends killed him fast), and cast fireballs unless I had no SP left.

But the bad guys mostly survived, and in melee they kill my chars in 2 blows, while my chars only dent them when they hit ! Huh, and I forgot the bandits use poisoned weapons ...

It doesn't look like a fair fight..
But well, I'll try again !

--------------------
PDF
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Something good to use are the Wall of Force and Forcefield spells too.

Your nephil thief/archer is basically useless - you'd be better off with another fighter, IMO.

EDIT: Kill the mage first.

[ Wednesday, March 02, 2005 02:29: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
====
====
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
Like Drake said, you aren't going to get a lot of milage out of your thief/archer. As mentioned before, Archery and Lockpicking are a complete waste of time (archery never does enough damage, and you can pick locks even without lockpicking skill), and Disarm Traps is only slightly better.

I don't like combining magic with fighting skills, personally. It tends to make your frontliners too weak and easy to kill in combat.

I like the idea of, say, two fighters with 4 mage/priests. This gives the fighters sufficient magical enhancement to become real killing machines. If you really want to take it to the extreme, get one fighter with 5 support crew. I've done this, and while it's probably less efficient, it does mean you have plenty of slack up your sleeve in case you're in trouble. One guy can heal him, one guy can cure his poison, one can bless him again, another can give him magical resistance and the last can cast Sanctuary so he won't get hurt much next round, all in the one turn. You can do even more if you haste them. Very effective, and easy to use. Only trouble is when your enemies start targetting your vulnerable backliners.

Anyway, for your present situation, Sanctuary is a nice and cheap spell that's very effective and you'd do well to keep it handy. Cast it on your frontliners at the end of each turn and the bandits and archers won't be able to touch them. The mage will, and they tend to be resistant to magical attacks, so get your fighters up there with him and kill him as quickly as you can.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 2626
Profile #18
This kind of topic can become an epic in itself, because everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
If nothing else, try two of each, Fighters, Priests and Mages. Use the Forcefield, Wall of Force, to protect the sides, or to "funnel" the enemy to your Fighters. Then, Haste and Bless them.
Most would agree to have your Fighters do the fighting through the beginning stages. By the time you've reached higher levels, you'll have plenty of work for the Spell Casters.
Again, don't waste Skill Points on "nuisiance" items like Archery, Chemistry, Missles, etc. Any scenario that utilizes special skills will, invariably, give you the talents and items you'll need.
Think "bare bones", play "bare bones". Everything else will unfold as the scenario plays out.
Most of us are in too much of a hurry to get to the ending and don't take the time to enjoy the story, (smell the flowers.
There are more scenarios here than most of us will play in our lifetime. And that includes all you young critters. ;^}
me
Apprentice
Member # 5557
Profile #19
Thanks for the tips again.
Well, as for my Archer/Thief I was surely misled by BoA play, in which an archer is much more powerful (at low level) than a melee fighter. And I supposed I need a thief anyway, and to use consistent strengths Archery seemed the way to go.

And more importantly I don't like the idea of making only "power parties", with 3 fighters, 3 mages/priests and everyone saurian...
My "Paladin" and "pure mage" surely aren't optimal, but I created them for RP reasons - after all isn't that the whole point of the game ?

I don't feel it's good to oblige players to only play "power parties", but maybe I did begin with a too hard scenario, I'll try something easier (but want to start with a short scen, to get a good grasp of the game before playing a big epic).

--------------------
PDF
Shock Trooper
Member # 156
Profile #20
"Thieves"/"archers" are, overall, not anywhere near as useful as they should be but they are also not as useLESS as some macke them out to be. It depends on playing style and scenarios.

For example, when in a dungeon that respawns enemies wherein you cannot rest to recuperate spell points, a lockpicking thief is handy when you come upon 5 or 6 locked chests behind a locked door. In this case you don't want to waste 15 -25 spell points casting 'Unlock'. Still, you are probably better off investing your points in 'Disarm Traps' and 'mage/priest spells'.

Archery and thrown missiles CAN come in handy but do so rarely. For the most part you are better off with melee and repeated castings of 'Wall(of force) and 'fireball' type spells. I myself tend not to go with the most efficient party composition so I always have an archer/thief/caster(jack-of-all-trades) in my parties. Makes for more of a challenge and is less boring.

(Note: Avoid "The Wreck of the Slug" scenario even though it kind of sounds inviting in an old-school AD&D campaign sort-of-way. The designer did not include a single shop that sold arrows in the whole scenario so your archer will be nothing but baggage)

Also, throw continuity to the wind and just pick the most appealing "beginner" scenario(s) and follow that with the most appealing "low-level" one(s), then the best "mid-level" etc.
A lot of the scenarios mentioned above are exactly NOT what you are looking for because they are designed for pregenerated parties(which does you no good if you are wanting to take YOUR characters from 1st level to level 40).

Nephil's Gambit is good but probably too difficult for new BoE players. Farmhands Save the Day is also good but it's comical nature probably won't appeal to serious RPGer looking for serious adventure.

--------------------
"I am in a very peculiar business. I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James Randi
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
Lockpicking and Disarm Traps are basically useless - I can bash down most doors and take the punishment of most traps, and for the ones I can't I can cast Unlock.

I'd suggest saving different copies of your parties at different levels so that you'll be able to play any level of scenario at any time. Also, you should try out scenarios with pre-made parties to see if that's your thing. The best ones are Emulations, Quintessence, and Chains, and they're all extremely good.

If you're looking for a challenge, go for a singleton - a 1PC party.

--------------------
====
====
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by PDF:
My "Paladin" and "pure mage" surely aren't optimal, but I created them for RP reasons - after all isn't that the whole point of the game ?
Not really if you're intent on winning. An "optimal" party will be better at the beginner stage than a "seems most traditional" party.

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
^Disagree. While it doesn't bother me in the slightest what my party is made of, if having certain PCs makes it more fun for you, go for it.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Yeah. Most BoE scenarios aren't tremendously hard; if you really have a tough time of it, just invest skill points in about 5 ranks of Luck as soon as possible and notice how your characters just became a lot harder to kill.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages