Simulacrum, and Charm too powerful!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Simulacrum, and Charm too powerful!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #0
I really think both simulacrum and charm are overpowered. It's nice e that they work on nearly all monsters. But should I really be able to duplicate Skylak or worse charm him. That seems ridiculous. I don't remember running into any monster the whole game that was immune to charm or simulacrum.

IMAGE(http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/guttttts/Picture2-1.png?t=1181017642)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I sometimes failed to charm things like dark wrym in the Hall of the Lamp and a few other powerful monsters.

Jeff said that he left simulacrum powerful to help out players, but I never used it.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #2
This is hilarious. I assumed Simulacrum wouldn't work on the most powerful beings. I used it on the Gryphon Defenders and Fomorian Crushers. I never thought to try it on anything nastier.

Let's see...a Roman could just get Simulacrum by training one level of Beast Circle in Hagfen, using the +3 Beast Circle Hagfen reward, then killing Raven for another +3. It's rare most players would even have it as a Roman, and therefore have any reason to either Charm or Simulacratize Sylak. How about Titus and the Ifrit?

-S-

[ Monday, June 04, 2007 19:47: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Actually it's buy one level of beast circle in Hagfen, get the beastmaster bracelet, and pick the beast circle scroll for the Hagfen quest reward.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
Duh. Like we were just discussing yesterday. OK, my brain needs nutrients. I'll get right on that.

-S-

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
It just hit me this morning, without druid mastery I have to take off my encumbering armor (armor, shield, and helm) every time I cast simulacrum and then leave fight mode to put it back.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
It hits me that this game is a bit messy in that Romans can cast magic at all. I'd have made it so that Romans have no magic and the Celts have less and lesser magic. I liked Bezerk and how Woad was used in the original NG. Those have been all but lost in the revision, alas. I'm finding the game less versatile and gratifying than G4.

-S-

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
I really miss Berserk and Woad as well. The noise when going berserk was priceless.

[ Tuesday, June 05, 2007 13:47: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
You still get that little whoopy yell when you use Woad, but there's not much point in using Woad. Magic is so much more powerful and doesn't leave you easier to hit. I do miss the Beserk character trait that made you randomly go Berserk when fighting. That was fun and felt more Celty than tons of magic and chain mail and the ability to train in some rather unuseful Tool Use. Methinks the rewriting of history hath blurred the species.

-S-

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
In a late beta I simulacrummed the Ifrit. It was pretty cool, seeing those two big sprites square off. I complained to Jeff that this seemed too much, and I assumed he tightened up the high end on Simulacrum. Guess he didn't get everyone. Sylak simulacra are crazy!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
Reptrakos is immune to simulacrum at least for intelligence 2, druidism and beast circle at 7. So much for watching him fight himself.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #11
Try uping stats with the editor and see what happens.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #12
Try uping stats with the editor and see what happens.

I had Inteligence at 13 Druidism at 13 and Beast circle at 8 when I duplicated Skylak.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
I'll try it later, I'm running a straight singleton Roman so my stats are lower than a regular party.

Didn't work on a wind walker either.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
Was possible.

IMAGE(http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/guttttts/Picture5.png?t=1181850906)

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #15
In 1.0.1, Simulacrum shouldn't affect major named like Reptrakos. And yet, I already regret it. If you have to give yourself crazy skills with the editor to do it, well, if you can't do funny things with the editor, what is it for?

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #16
But they aren't really that crazy. Intelligence at 13 and druidism at 13 is easily attainable. One character in my Roman party had that long before the end game. So i would imagine that with Celts it's even easier. It just doesn't feel right duplicating the most powerful enemies.

Perhaps a better alternative to nerfing simulacrum would be limiting the number of rounds a copy will last. The more powerful the enemy the fewer rounds the copy lasts. Or perhaps the number of copies could be limited. Skylak or the Dragon maybe only allow one copy.

[ Thursday, June 14, 2007 14:59: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------