Registration...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Registration...
Apprentice
Member # 7927
Profile #0
I was wondering if we registered Avernum 2, could we get a free registration key for Exile 2? They are the same game right, just updated graphics?

My point being, I absolutely LOVE the wall spells, yet Avernum doesn't have'em, why? Anyway, reply ASAP please.

Thank you.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
You should check the ordering form for any information on discounts. The answer to your question is, no you cannot get Exile II for free even though you have purchased Avernum 2.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7927
Profile #2
Ok,thank you.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
You can get Exile pretty dirt cheap at this point, though ($25 for the whole trilogy).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
You get a discount when you register Avernums after having registerered Exiles, but it doesn't work vice versa. Go figure.

—Alorael, who can't really see how Jeff could discount three games any more. It's six dollars and change per game!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by CKB:

They are the same game right, just updated graphics?
Actually, they're a lot more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jeff said somewhere that A1-A3 are ground-up rewrites of E1-E3.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:
Originally written by CKB:

They are the same game right, just updated graphics?
Actually, they're a lot more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Jeff said somewhere that A1-A3 are ground-up rewrites of E1-E3.

The code might be fully rewritten, but the story is the same. As are the maps, most items, basic function of skills, etc.

The main differences are in the engine: different graphics and conversation system, more advanced skill system, more basic spell system, etc.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 7927
Profile #7
Did he HAVE to take the wall spells away from players? :(
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Yes. Yes, he did.

No, he just felt like it. BoA scenarios can easily re-implement wall spells.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
There is one complication, in that the new targeting system means that the area of effect of a spell has to be centred on a monster.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
Until A4 there weren't any great area effect spells in Avernum. I still think the cloud of blades spell isn't that great and you have to target it on something. Exile allowed for area effect spells to go after invisible creatures by just targeting a spot.

There are some extra places in Avernum games that aren't in the Exile series.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #11
I find Cloud of Blades to be rather useful against rakshasi, which are resistant to a lot of damage types. And I agree, I like the fact that the Exile games allowed you to target empty spaces and not just monsters. Maybe the next Avernum game will bring this back.

I also noticed a few things here and there in the Avernum games that aren't in the Exile games. They add some more fun to the game, not to mention a few more things you can potentially kill.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
And of course there's Spidweb's official word on the differences between A1 and E1, A2 and E2, and A3 and E3.

--------------------