encumbrance and negative effects (exile 1)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: encumbrance and negative effects (exile 1)
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #0
I was wondering how much is known of the formulas are known of weather you will suffer ap loss or mage spell failure due to encumbrance. I have been trying to figure it out, but I have only been able to figure out things to a limited extent.

For instance, defense skill of 7 is needed to fully prevent spell failure from 2 encumbrance, yet 3 encumbrance will always cause failure unless a mitigating item is worn. I've found that skill rings and fang necklaces both mitigate the effect (and a bronze skill ring does stack with a fang necklace), but due to my limited amount of such items in possession at this point and time contraints are making it difficult.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 16:14: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
I don't know if random numbers can be implemented in a formula, but they can in a game algorithm, the precise workings of which only Jeff knows.

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #2
Well I am less interested in what percent chances there are of that occuring, than knowing what is needed for there to be no chance of such things happening, which should be much simpler and discoverable with thourough testing.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
The answer really is pretty simple: limit the encumberance and up the defense skill. For example, in E3 (and I don't know if any of these items are available in E1) I give all my mages low or zero-encumberance armor, such as the Runeshield, Steel-Toed Boots, and Mitril Armor.

I really don't know exactly how much defense you need to consistently overcome each unit of encumberance, and it's probably different between the games and depends on things like level too, so I'm really to lazy to find out for you right now. You could do it yourself though, and the Spiderweb community would be happy to hear of your results. :)

--------------------
-ben4808
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #4
Well as I said, defense skill will never allow mage spells with over 2 encumbrance, and either rings of skill or a fang necklace are required for more.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #5
Is there a stat that when raised will lower encumberance? (Dex? Str?)

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 16:33: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Soya-Kaas cheeses have dairy in them!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
As has already been stated in this thread, Defense.

—Alorael, who frowns only lightly upon topic necromancy with a point. To forestall complaints, it's really no more productive for a new thread to be created with the same post.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Be warned that Defence doesn't actually help very much. Even if you have a lot of it, it usually only reduces your effective encumbrance by a point or two, and you can't always count on it to do even that.

You don't need armour to protect yourself anyway. Just cast a lot of Bless spells when you get into combat. A character blessed four or five times is unhittable to most things.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!