Exile 2 value

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile 2 value
Apprentice
Member # 4677
Profile #0
Are the old versions of Exile 2 of any value? I've got a shareware disk that has an old version with original graphics.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
The original graphics are already posted on the web, so I don't believe anyone will be willing to pay you for them.

See this thread:
Previous discussion of E2 original graphics.

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:46: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 4677
Profile #2
I wasn't looking to sell them I just wanted to know if the disk itself is worth anything.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by sith1990:

I wasn't looking to sell them I just wanted to know if the disk itself is worth anything.
If it's that old that it has the original graphics, chances are barely anyone will have a system so low-powered it can play the games. I can't play Exile 1: Escape from the pit (the version off a shareware disk) at home anymore cause it's too old. So in answer to your question:
I SINCERELY DOUBT IT!

Sorry!

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
quote:

Something's value = what people are willing to pay for it. In this case, probably nothing.

[ Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:24: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
There is also sentimental value, historical value, and aesthetic value. But the question has been answered. The graphics have been archived on the web, so there is nothing on that disk which is unique, rare, or precious to the people frequenting this topic.

*this message sponsored by Eight is Enough and Three's Company*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5847
Profile #6
Not to mention the fact that, even if it were valuable, you couldn't legally sell it.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
AFAIK it's legal to sell secondhand computer software, provided you genuinely reassign ownership, i.e. you don't reserve a copy for your own use.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5847
Profile #8
In general, that's true. But shareware distributions tend to be a special case, as I understand it. Essentially, with a shareware distribution, you don't own any software. The publisher (or whoever holds the rights) is simply permitting you to use it. And since you don't actually own any rights to it, you can't sell it without permission from the publisher.

Or to put it another way, the files and the registration code are totally seperate. If you had some way to irrevocably transfer the code, presumably you could do that. But the files themselves are another matter - if the publisher distributes them for free, you can't generally sell them.

I'm probably not explaining it very well, and I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong. But that's how I understand it.

Edit: Anyway, I just checked my E2 software license. It expressly prohibits distributing the software for profit in any form. Which definitely answers that question.

[ Friday, July 01, 2005 13:26: Message edited by: Beamup ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
You could probably find some legal loophole to give the software and sell the registration code, but that still requires a customer.

—Alorael, who suspects that Jeff would sell "classic" versions of the Exile games if there were a market. And at increased price, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4677
Profile #10
The legal stuff in this is old and for all of the other shareware games it says that you can sell them as long as they get full credit no game modifications and none of them are registered yet. You can always remove the Exile game if you know what you are doing with the disk.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

The legal stuff in this is old and for all of the other shareware games it says that you can sell them as long as they get full credit no game modifications and none of them are registered yet.
Er, I don't know what shareware licences you've been reading. Most of the ones I've seen don't even permit including the software in a for-profit shareware compilation without prior written permission, let alone selling it on its own. They've been ruled legally binding in court, too; there's a famous test case on the issue.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5847
Profile #12
quote:

The legal stuff in this is old and for all of the other shareware games it says that you can sell them as long as they get full credit no game modifications and none of them are registered yet.
Sounds a little confused. Generally they say that you can give them away for free as long as there are no modifications. And it should go without saying that that's totally different from selling it. Check the licenses carefully, I'm pretty sure that's what you'll find.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
Hmmm. All that mumbo jumbo bothers me. So I looked at the Avernum license. Part 1 says
quote:
You may also transfer all your license rights in the Software, the backup copy of the software, the related documentation and a copy of this License to another party, provided the other party reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License.

And in part 2, it says
quote:

2. Restrictions. ...You may not distribute the
Software for profit in any form
That means if you really, truely are sick of the game, you can sell it for up to what it cost you in the first place (including s&h). Just make sure that you erase all registered copies off all your computers.

*this message sponsored by loopholes and regulations, a solid marriage*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Selling it for what you paid for it generates no revenue (net profit), but it does generate profit. I believe that would be illegal.

—Alorael, who still doesn't think your registration code is covered. It's not software.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #15
Part 1 just seems to indicate that you can give it completely to someone else as if you bought it for them. You can recieve no compensation for this.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris