An question from a humble fan

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: An question from a humble fan
Apprentice
Member # 4892
Profile #0
Hi all, first of all I would like to thank the great makers of these games.
I'm a 16 year old fan from sweden, who have been playing spiderweb games for a quite some time now. Remember I used to play Exile escape from the pit on my older brothers old mac when I was just a wee lad of 8, naturally I wasn't verry succesfull with the quests especially seeing that I couldn't even read englsih...
but still I enjoyed it verry much ;)

Now, many years have passed and the old mac is no more. visited the page on and off and tested out outher great games like geneforge and Avernum. And so, a few years ago, after learning atleast somewhat the english language, I've been wanting to try and play the old game once more.

So I went to this site and downloaded the game and was overjoiced in nostalgia when seeing the game i had tried so hard to play when a kid.

But then ofcource came the, shareware chasm and thus the merry times was over.

See, as you might already guessed, I'm still somewhat of a kid and along with that, no creditcards, no pay checks or american dollars for that matter either... :/

and parents are a no go either seeing as how my parents refuse paying 25$ for a game almost 10 years old, especially not over the internet (they kinda misstrust the whole giving buying stuff over internet and stuff like that *sigh*)

So here is my question, I realize that you are not a huge corporation and that you need the money. And I am the first one inline to say that you've earned it.

I simply wonder if it is possible that seeing how the game now is almost 10 years old, is there any chance in making these, the older of your games free for downloads. Since I must admit, it is rather strange to have them cost almost as much as new comp games coming out today...

I recon that could also give some good publicity and perhaps make more people hooked on your games?

or perhaps simply lower the prices acording to their age? but perhaps that wouldn't make you gain any profit anyway...

I hope that I haven't offended you my this humble suggestion, and seeing as how a post this at a forum filled with long time fans I doubt it will get verry good response...
but I just thought it might be worth aleast asking?

well then
thank you for your time and keep up the good work and good luck on your future games

Thanks
/Duckie
Apprentice
Member # 4889
Profile Homepage #1
Your suggestion/question is actualy a good idea, in my opinion... Your best bet for now is to email the developers, and continue on from there ;)

--------------------
Its just my opinion,i could be wrong.

Lothgar Gaming!
Apprentice
Member # 4892
Profile #2
*sigh of relief*

was sure that I was going to get the flaming of a lifetime ^_^

well yeah, I'll try that :)

thanks ;)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
The chance of free Spidweb games is nil, but Jeff is very good about giving out new registration codes to people who are unregistered for a variety of reasons. As long as you have the name that was on the credit card you registered with and the address you used, you can get another code. Again, email is the way to do it.

—Alorael, who doesn't think he's missing any information required, but it's been a while since he had to request it. If Jeff needs to know more, he'll let you know. Spidweb beats most larger companies for being helpful hands down.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
Bah, we all wish it was cheap. But its a good game and I think E3 was worth every penny.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #5
Well, the problem was ordering over the net. Which indeed is scary and problematic, even for people with credit cards and open-minded parents.

Giving away Exile for free would probably kill the selling of Avernum. Otherwise, I don't see why Jeff couldn't do it.

--------------------
Mow down the sexy people.
Apprentice
Member # 4919
Profile Homepage #6
I would be more then happy if the games were free, though it doesn't matter to me seeing as I already own them.
But, Jeff does need a profit. I don't know how much money he gets from the Exile Trilogy... I imagine he doesn't get too much anymore, with Avernum out and all...
I think he should just keep all three of the games plus Blades of Exile and lower the price to 30 or so bucks, which is a lot more reasonable then the ~75 it costs for the 4 games now.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
There's always the Exile Trilogy CD, and BoE is $15 with any other game. If anything deserves a price cut, it isn't BoE. It could have the price raised and it would still be more than worth the money.

—Alorael, who doesn't think that Jeff makes so much that he'd turn away even a little bit of money from people registering Exile because they're hard core retro fans and completely opposed to isometric perspective or something.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #8
Just out of curiosity, does anyone make games for BoE anymore?

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #9
This Is A Link. Please, Click It, Gently.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #10
That was the most informative gentle click I have encountered yet.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
I'll have a BoE scenario ready for beta soon, probably within 2 weeks.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!