Geneforge 5 - Possible Sects

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge 5 - Possible Sects
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Jeff has said that there will be five game-winning sects in Geneforge 5. What do you think they will be? Cast your votes and discuss in the thread.

This is a pre-emptive poll for the sake of legibility. :cool:

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=yHLzgVRCrlRQ"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=yHLzgVRCrlRQ"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 11797
Profile #1
I say the shapers, the sholia, the traviokes, the awakened/Human rebals( I say theyll be the same thing) and the Drakons
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I think the Shapers will fracture into two groups, the hardliners that will make new creations capable of independent thought have a fail safe that will make them kill themselves upon commands from the Shapers and the moderates that will allow some creation rights. The Rebellion will be split between the human/servile faction and the drakon factions with some cooperation between them, but they will each seek to rid themselves of the other's leaders. The Trakovites will still work to overthrow shaping so they will be the odd ones out and hunted at every chance. Plenty of XP for betraying them.
Apprentice
Member # 12702
Profile #3
My vote:

1. Shapers (kind of a no-brainer)
2. Trakovites (again, I'd be more surprised if they WEREN'T in GF5)
3. Radical group of Shapers
4. Drakon rebels
5. Human rebels

--------------------
I have had ENOUGH of these (deleted) drayks on this (deleted) plain!
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #4
But why would a human or servile play in favor of the Drakons? After all: only the Drakons like the Drakons, who want the whole world and all the power for themselves and -- let's be honest -- would prefer to enslave all species to serve them. . . and the human and servile rebels in G4 admitted that the Drakons were a "problem" that they would need to deal with after their more pressing problem -- the Shapers -- was taken care of.

I voted Shaper, Radical Shaper, Human Rebel, Awakened, and Trakovite. It seems inevitable that the Rebellion will break apart, and the Shapers as well . . . and the Trakovites seem to hold a good portion of the answer to ending all the strife.

(EDIT : The first paragraph was for Dragonlord..)
(EDIT : ...and Raji)

[ Wednesday, May 07, 2008 15:18: Message edited by: Clavicle ]
Apprentice
Member # 11797
Profile #5
It's not impossible the Drakons wouldn't execpt help from nondrakons. They would probloby demand you worship them as Gods or something to that effect.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
I don't see the powerful Drakons as particularly devoted to Drakonkind. It is just that they respect only power, and rightly consider that non-Drakons generally don't make the cut. But I can definitely see a sect in which a few heavily canistered humans or serviles co-exist with Drakons.

The question is whether ET's beloved Barzite faction will appear somewhere here. Will the canister-mad humans ally with the Drakons against all orthodox Shapers and lesser beings, or with lesser humans against all creations and orthodox Shapers? Obviously the only real goal for any true Barzite-type is to put themselves alone above everything else in the universe. But which way will they do it?

Perhaps the point is really that Barzites simply are not, in fact, a faction. They are individuals out for themselves alone, and their only use for others is as tools. In Drypeak, Barzahl was really the only Barzite, and within the small pond of the Drypeak mountains, his tools counted as a faction. At this stage of the war there may be many Barzites, but there are many more and greater other powers playing than there were in Drypeak. A lone Barzite's army will not at this stage constitute a faction to compare with Ghaldring's entire race of Drakons, or the Shaper Council's empire.

So in G5 I would guess that lone Barzites will only appear, if at all, as sub-factional NPCs somewhere in the range between Phariton and Monarch. But both Rebel factions, and perhaps even a more radical Shaper faction, will probably include Barzite-minded individuals looking to use the faction for their own ends.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
I anticipate the five factions will be:

1. Shapers, the usual.
2. Rebellion, with drakon leaders and human followers still.
3. Neo-Awakened, basically rebels minus the crazy people.
4. Trakovites, Jeff totally set them up in the last game.
5. See below.
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Will the canister-mad humans ally with the Drakons against all orthodox Shapers and lesser beings, or with lesser humans against all creations and orthodox Shapers?
If they are true Barzites, they would never ally with creations. That would just make them more rebels, wouldn't it? What makes the Barzites different from any other faction is that they are canister users who still hate creations, an ideology sorely underrepresented in the past two games.

And they do not have to work alone, either. They are basically orthodox shapers who want to take that extra step to put creations back in their place, which totally constitutes a faction. With the Shapers needing to bend their rules more and more all the time, it would likely be a popular faction as well.

They don't necessarily work only for their own benefit, either, unless they happen to be Tullegolites as well. Give them a new name, and you actually have a fairly logical faction: the people who hate creations because of the war and who intend to use all the power lying around to bring it to an end. Yes, they will probably end up crazy like the Barzites were, but that's the fun part.

I can't understand why Jeff has left this ideology out of the games for so long. If he leaves this option out again, I will be disappointed.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
I think that Barzites in this sense, ultra-Shapers, are a sure bet for G5. It's the obvious counterpart faction to the Drakon wing of the Rebellion. It made sense for this faction to be absent from G4 and G3. Since the Shapers were either winning or not yet alerted to danger, there was no pressure on them to resort to non-traditional means of resistance. But the ending texts to G4 already indicate that, when pushed hard by the Unbound, the Shapers do relax their rules and resort to extreme measures. So I'm pretty sure the Shaper ultras will be a G5 faction.

They may not be openly all-out for canisters, at least not at first. There are many Shaper taboos, and the ones against self-shaping will probably not be the first to be abandoned. But I doubt anyone will have to push too far into the back rooms to find the canister stashes.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 12702
Profile #9
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking:

Majorly juiced-up-on-Shaping Drakons who are willing to offer incredible powers (better canisters, maybe even a more powerful Geneforge *hint hint*) to worthy humans and/or serviles who basically pledge their undying loyalty to them.

--------------------
I have had ENOUGH of these (deleted) drayks on this (deleted) plain!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #10
I have an idle suspicion that the Awakened might show up again, in some form. Jeff has indicated that he wants the option of satisfying, happy endings. In earlier games, the Awakened provided this option for many people; they were probably the most popular sect in G1. Khyryk, similarly, was very popular in G3, at which point he had not yet adopted a Trakovite viewpoint.

I'm not actually sure that I expect the Shapers to split. Although there were some internal ideological differences in G4, there was nothing to the degree of the drakon-human tension among the rebels. Additionally, it seems unlikely that the Shapers would not put aside their differences in the face of Unbound-style aggression. If anything, I would expect the really purist Shapers to join the Trakovites. (And surely, after the destruction of G4's ending, the Trakovites will have greater numbers, even if they are still small and weak overall.)

A rebel split seems more likely -- particularly because such a split facilitates creating a situation where FIVE different sects all have a chance of coming out on top. The fewer huge powerful sects there are, the more plausible this seems.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #11
If there is an Awakened faction, there will be little room for a non-drakon type Rebellion faction. Unless those that break away from the Rebellion become the new Awakened.

I think a Shaper split is more likely because as the Rebels continue to grow more and more powerful and the Shapers continue to run out of trained shapers, some will turn to canisters. Those some will technically be Barzites.

I figure both splits will happen, still leaving room for the Trakovites. There's your five sects.

I'm still hoping for that extra yourself faction, however. Jeff's included non-faction endings before, so who knows.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
You already saw in GF4 some shapers gathering cannisters in preparation to give themselves a little extra to help remove the rebels. It won't take much to push that faction over the edge into cannister usage to counteract a new drakon creation similar to the unbound.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

They may not be openly all-out for canisters, at least not at first. There are many Shaper taboos, and the ones against self-shaping will probably not be the first to be abandoned. But I doubt anyone will have to push too far into the back rooms to find the canister stashes.
I really hope there wouldn't be a theme of reluctance in a Barzite faction. I would prefer a more "we told you so, now let's embrace our birthright" attitude.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
Oh, I doubt they'll really be reluctant. Even if they were at first, after six canisters the clarity will come. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of their dimmer subordinates were kept in the dark about this. So the player's first contact with what I think of as the ultra faction may well be with strict canister-free purists.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
It will be hard to make the five faction really distinct given a war between two sides; especially as Sholai involvement has been ruled out. I can see the likelihood of extreme rebel, mild rebel, mild loyalist and extreme loyalist factions, a spectrum quite similar to GF2. But I wonder what the viewpoint of the fifth faction will be? Perhaps trakovite qualifies as off-the-charts rebel...

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #16
I think there will bee some sort of Neo-Awakened, probably from an the rebellion splitting. the Drakons and canister mad rebels will be another faction. Moderate GF3 style shapers would be one faction and barzite-ish extremist shapers. the fifth would be the trajkovites. Either the awakened or the trajkovites would yield a happy ending.

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #17
The Vlish uprising shall be glorious.

--------------------
Tasty Vlish. They're tragically delicious.
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #18
Damnation, Delicious: There will be no Vlish uprising!

(And as for eating them: they're a little too rubbery for my taste.)

(Also, their intelligence tastes a little funny.)

[ Friday, May 09, 2008 19:28: Message edited by: Clavicle ]