Issues that Geneforge raises

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Issues that Geneforge raises
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #0
I was just chatting with a friend, and trying to 'sell' Geneforge to them. They asked me for a rough outline, and while elaborating, I realize that the game helps to initiate exploration into some key issues. Off the top of my head, some of the things which have been discussed on these forums include:

- Does a creator have complete authority over its creations? This could apply to either a parent-child relationship, or a god-worshipper relationship.

- The level of control a government should have over its subjects and their access to knowledge. Or, in the words of V for Vendetta: Should a people fear its government, or a government fear its people?

- Whether scientific disciplines should be self regulated.

- At what point does the research practiced become cruel and unnecessary?

- Is genocide ever a viable policy in order to maintain peace and stability?

- Does might make right? Ergo. Social Darwinism.

- If your race is targeted for extermination, what methods are acceptable in a fight for survival? What methods are acceptable in the fight for autonomy? Is the ensuing chaos worth it?

- Is corruption an inevitable result of obtaining power? What safeguards should be put in place to prevent corruption?

In many ways, Geneforge is similar to Bioshock. Granted, I don't always think Jeff approaches the issues listed above in the best way (the Drakons and Rebels are rarely seen justifying their behaviour), and the dialogue can be a little weak, but at least his games encourage thought and stimulate discussion about such topics.

I don't think the Ultima series ever achieved such a thing, except perhaps Ultima 8 (where the Avatar acted quite unvirtuous!)

Hopefully Jeff reads the debates we've had on these forums, and incorporates some of the arguments we've used into the dialogue for GF5.

--------------------
"When I was a child, my people talked while others prepared for war. They used reason while others used tanks, and they were destroyed for their trouble! I won't stand by and watch it happen again, I won't!"
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Jeff does place some subtle remarks in the dialog. For instance in Rivergate Keep when you first meet the Shaper, the living tool objects to its being misused. In Poryphra Ruins, Shaper Grim finds a way to rationalize working with independent creations during the war by how they will have to serve afterwards or be destroyed as rogue.

How much of the long debates will show up in Geneforge 5 will depend on the characters that appear for the different viewpoints.