Geneforge Beta Testing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge Beta Testing
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I'm beta-testing G4 and would like to be able to chat or email with some other testers about the game, especially since I never played G1-3...though I must say, I am progressing nicely enough so far. Drop me an email at the address in my profile if you don't mind.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
I'm not going to try to speak for Jeff, but in the past he has preferred testers stay somewhat isolated so that their reactions can be unique without "corruption" of what other testers can say.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Well, now that that's out in the open ... :rolleyes:

If you really want to talk, you know how to find me.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
I'm not looking to chit chat idly, mostly discuss a little basic strategy, like whether or not to use those skill points on creations which suck up my lead character's essence. This is all pretty new to me. I suppose I could read hints and tips from previous GF's, but I also kind of wanted the novelty of something entirely new, and also be able to provide feedback from that perspective.

All the better to chase me down on AOL or Yahoo IM (Synergy7167 on each.)

-S-

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #4
Lucky beta testers...

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
I didn't think that Jeff was far enough along for beta testing.

Welcome back Synergy.

There are a lot of discussion threads that Slarty did a few months ago that will help. If you are using creations then you want to put points into intelligence to increase essence and spell points. Also concentrate on one shaping skill instead of being a generalist at the beginning so your creations start out being more powerful.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #6
I call BS. There's no announcement of a beta opening on the news page.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
There may not be an opening yet. Jeff started beta-ing A4 long before he asked for beta testers for it; he just used testers who had a bunch of experience testing for him before.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #8
Yes, it's true, G4 is in beta testing. From Jeff's latest update thread on this board, though, it is clear that the game isn't all that close to being finished. He's testing the parts that are done. For final release his tentative target of year's end is still the best guess we have. Whether he may yet enlist more testers as the game approaches completion, I have no idea.

Jeff's rationale for keeping beta testers independent makes sense. He figures that if just one person out of a bunch thinks that monster X is too tough, or whatever, well, you can't please everyone; but if he hears the same complaint or argument from several independent people, he really has to address it. But if the testers start talking to each other, that one tester might cajole others into repeating what is really just one complaint. And then Jeff ends up with a game partly tailored to just one person, who probably doesn't represent the whole potential market for the game.

Even for discussing strategy and so on, I think it would be better for the testing process if nobody talked to each other. It'll be important for Jeff that the game is still playable, and winnable, by people who haven't been coached on tactics by veterans. And it might well be that a neophyte tries something new, something that the GF veteran testers would never try, and this reveals some important problem with the game.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 21:10: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #9
I strongly discourage testers discussing the game with each other during testing because I find the independence of their opinions to be very valuable. If several people some up witht he same view independently, I will give it a lot more weight. If every report is an echo chamber of everyone else's opinion, less useful.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #10
Judging by the screenshots, this game will be ENORMOUS! Wow, I personally am getting more and more thrilled by day. :-D
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #11
EDIT: I retract the request as Jeff has made it clear he' d prefer testers not contact or discuss.

-S-

Oh hey, look, a brand new G4 group.

[ Friday, August 11, 2006 15:01: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------