Regulation - Common Descent

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Regulation - Common Descent
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
Per Student of Trinity's request a separate topic to discuss common descent is now here.

For those of you that missed it, the Science abstract about finding Tyranosaurus Rex proteins and a related article that the protein is closest to chicken.

While this doesn't show that chickens are descended from T rexs, it is the first genetic proof that they have a common ancestor.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
I'm not sure it's exactly proof that they have a common ancestor, but it would seem to be a proof, given evolution by common descent, that the modern species whose common ancestor with tyrannosaurs was most recent is the chicken.

There is additional support for common descent here, although I wouldn't say it goes as far as proof. Tyrannosaur and chicken proteins are apparently more similar to each other, than chicken proteins are to the proteins of many other modern species. This is the sort of thing one would predict readily from common descent evolution, but it is otherwise a highly improbable coincidence. So, more Bayesian empirical support.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #2
No, this only proves just one thing.

T Rexes taste just like chicken.

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 06:25: Message edited by: Delicious Vlish ]

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I'm just really, really impressed that they managed to pull out enough collagen in a sufficiently intact state to sequence it. I mean, I know it's a particularly stable protein, but still.

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 23:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #4
Just as long as they don't leave any of it lying around near any parthenogenetic frog DNA.

EDIT: Woops, I'm supposed to be all serious here. I hereby apologize to myself. I'll do penance by writing a long, pedantic, point-by-point rebuttal of something, and not posting it.

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 00:32: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #5
I'd just like to add that I approve Chicken's being linked to T-Rexes.
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #6
I dunno... That's a lot of down-sizing.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #7
The two creatures may have had a middle-sized common ancestor. Nobody is saying that Tyrannosaurs evolved into chickens.

--------------------