Time Magazine: Shaper of the Year

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Time Magazine: Shaper of the Year
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #0
Who do you think has contributed the most to the art of shaping within the span of the Geneforge games? Please be prepared to support your decision, and be aware that the game can be full of propaganga, we are looking for actual achievements here.

I did not include Danette because she is the undisputed master of her own field (self-shaping). No one has ever really improved on Danettes works since, so that puts her in her own catagory.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 34 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ifEABXEEWUQM"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ifEABXEEWUQM"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
Tuldaric's should read "Magical Capacity for Serviles and Humans." Or didn't you augment yourself in G2, ET? (Edit: And it's spelled Tuldaric.)

I'm a little confused at your continued use of the term "self-shaping". Isn't the distinction really between

(1) creating new life forms (traditional shaping)
(2) modifying existing creations
(3) modifying humans

Also, did Litalia actually invent the Warped Creators?

[ Saturday, March 17, 2007 16:08: Message edited by: 227 Chitrachballons ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
I was actually modified by the Barzites.

What I meant by self-shaping was modifying humans. This pretty much only removes Danette from the picture, anyone else is fair game. I did this because it is difficult to decide which is more significant: modifying people or making better creations. I want this poll to be limited to new and/or improved creations.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not certain Litalia invented the creator, but she is the only person in the game to make them, so I thought it was a fair assumption. It was either her, Akhari-Blaze, or Ghaldring, so feel free to replace her name with whomever you think may have invented them when you vote.

[ Saturday, March 17, 2007 16:25: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #3
Shaper Monarch. The Titan was way too powerful.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8165
Profile #4
The drakons...in the end of the game the unbound destroy everything! hahahah!
Thank you Eass!
but what is a clockwork drakon?

i agree the titan was very powerful...but the unbound are so...hmm,hard to explain it.

--------------------
R.R
Apprentice
Member # 8335
Profile #5
The drakons are not really very creative. They seem to think that the solution to everything is better drakons. Personally my vote would go to "whoever invented wingbolts", but since we don't know who that was, I'll go with Tuldaric. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #6
The Drakon who managed to modify serviles in such a way so that they could cast powerful magic spells (I think it was Easss...)

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #7
Actually that wasn't a drakon, it was Tuldaric:

text1 = "MAGIC AND THE SERVILES, by Learned Jaffee";

text2 = "When the Shapers created us serviles, they were faced with
a great quandary. How were they to simultaneously give us
intelligence and autonomy and take from us the powers that come to
human students of the arts of power?";

text3 = "Keeping serviles from learning magic was of great
importance to them, so they attempted to shape us to make us unable
to work spells. They were partially successful. Learning magic was
possible for serviles, but generally drove the caster mad.";

text4 = "But that is in the past. Thanks to the Shaping techniques
learned on Sucia Island, the blocks placed on the serviles by the
Shapers have largely been removed. And that is only one of the
marvelous modifications Tuldaric has performed.";

text5 = "We Awakened see ourselves as free beings, equal to humans.
Thanks to our work here, that claim has much more justification.";
Edit: Tully, well done for finally coming up with a poll that Barzahl will win...

[ Saturday, March 17, 2007 23:01: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #8
Mica,

I know that Tulduric discovered how to alter serviles. But I also thought that the Drakons made a similiar discovery independent of Tulduric and the Awakened (eg. Eass has the ability to Shape you without any required machinery).

Or was that only after you stole the Awakaned Research for the Takers? I'm not sure.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #9
Also, the poll neglects to mention the Shaper who created Drayks. Drayks are by far the 'best' creation in the game, when considering strength vs. cost.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
This is the best poll idea I've seen in a long time. I had to go with Barzahl, somewhat to my surprise. Actually generating new types of intelligent and mobile creations seems like the biggest step to me, more or less on grounds of coolness, and Barzahl gave us several powerful creations, apparently single-handedly.

I sort of wish, now, that G2 could have had more scripting and plotting, like G4. Maybe then Barzahl himself wouldn't be stuck in my memory as this idiot who just stood there glowing while you gradually destroyed his empire, and finally him. Thinking back now, it seems he deserved better.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #11
Isn't Jeff an option?He DID make the game after all!

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

Mica,

I know that Tulduric discovered how to alter serviles. But I also thought that the Drakons made a similiar discovery independent of Tulduric and the Awakened (eg. Eass has the ability to Shape you without any required machinery).

Or was that only after you stole the Awakaned Research for the Takers? I'm not sure.

This point is unclear. However, everyone in the valley beyond Freegate -- the Takers, Barzites and Awakened -- originally worked together. It was only when Barzahl became megalomanaical that the Takers and Awakened left. We know that the designs for Drakons/Gazers/Rots all came from that collaborative period, with Barzahl's mind behind them. The simplest explanation for Tuldaric's augmentation would seem to be the parallel one.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #13
Barzahl, honorable mention to that mad shaper Monarch, the Titan is an impressive thing.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #14
The Shaper of the Year is: You!

Sorry, it had to be said.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I sort of wish, now, that G2 could have had more scripting and plotting, like G4. Maybe then Barzahl himself wouldn't be stuck in my memory as this idiot who just stood there glowing while you gradually destroyed his empire, and finally him. Thinking back now, it seems he deserved better.
If I can convince more people of this, all the time I've wasted here will have been worth it.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
I still can't get over how much "Barzahl" sounds like "Garzahd".

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #17
Emp:
quote:

If I can convince more people of this, all the time I've wasted here will have been worth it.

You don't need to convince me. I always thought that Barzhal was a pretty impressive character, and that he should have been fleshed out more. It would have been awesome to see him go one-on-one with one of the Taker Triad.

Although in a sense, it isn't wise for the leader of a faction to run headlong into danger. As they say, if the head of the snake is sliced off, the snake will die... Better to stay safe in your hall softly glowing, while your minions do the dirty work.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!