G4 Beta testing stories (SPOILERS)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: G4 Beta testing stories (SPOILERS)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
For the Windswept Farm the first time I killed all but the rotgroths in stasis. Jeff made it harder after I told him that. For a lifecrafter I just plugged the door with high health creations and spine shielded them. It was easy to fire over my wall of bodies and sometimes the Eyebeast never got to flee.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #26
Unless I'm mistaken, the creations in stasis fully regenerate every turn. You can't kill them in stasis now.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #27
I remember early on in the beta I walked in to those Vlish infested woods.

Good grief.

In moments, I do mean moments, once the first few Vlish called for help, it was over. All my creations, toasted. Warrior, toasted. Went down hard and fast.

I am really glad that Jeff made changes to enemy Vlish. Still nasty, but not instantly fantastically lethal.

My servile got hosed to.

And the Doppleganger Vlish in Thornton. Oh cripes. I am glad that Jeff toned him down.

And the Hive Mind Vlish in the area with Trajkovite Dryak... Criminy!

All these new Vlish, still no Tasty Vlish. Jeff had better get it right by G5.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #28
Mystithus was the worst until Jeff toned him down - basically unkillable, *and* four copies would follow me around the town making it virtually impossible to escape.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #29
At first I thought the Doppleganger Vlish was a punishment meant especially for me and all my talk about Vlish being the ultimate creation.

I was faced with my worst fear. Uber Vlish. I mean the real deal hardcore Godlike Vlish that shapers have nightmares about.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
I actually killed Mystithus before the nerf. It was no fun at all. I remember absorbing my entire lineup and trying a number of combinations. I no longer remember which one worked, but I think it was a combination of cryoas and roamers, most of which ended up as cannon fodder.

—Alorael, who wasn't quite sure what that fight was about other than showing an up and coming lifecrafter that throwing lizards around can't solve every problem. He enjoyed the tactical challenge, though, although his temporarily denuded scalp disagreed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #31
I did Mystithus after the change as a Servile and I died the first time. The images scatter after the first time I did spray crystal to determine the real one. I used crystals to track down the image each round.

As a lifecrafter with 4 hasted creations it wasn't too bad in the changed form. I misses it the first time through as a pure Rebel since I couldn't keep fighting the other creations after one calls for help.

Did anyone else go all the way to the end of the Forsaken Lands Shaper Camp? I did after starting Chapter 5 with an army of creations. Finding out about the endless source of summoned and therefore no experience creations made me not even try to get out alive after I searched the whole area.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #32
EDIT: I'm using this accidental double-post to ask a separate question:

Can anyone make some comments on whether they think the Guardian Claymore which Shaftoe drops:

11-55 damage/+2 strength/+2 quick action/+2 strength of creations

is more worthwhile to use in the long run than the Oozing Sword which I had enhanced with Fire Damage (can you stack elemental damages on a weapon like this? I'm not sure it's working):

12-60 damage/+5% to hit chance/10% acid resistance/drips acid.

-S-

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 21:18: Message edited by: Servile Synergy ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #33
I've been as far as the field projectors in the south. How much more and what is in beyond there? I was going to go check it out and clean it out later in this game myself, since I never remembered to do it before. I'm also tempted to see how far I can go clearing out the shaper camp in the west swamp in Burwood Province.

Meanwhile, as a Servile who travels mostly solo, but who can now summon one Kyshakk or some Drayks to his aid, I just figured out a right balance of playing both sides to get into the Gamma Shaper camp in the Fens. I gave the Heart of the Kiln to Mouawad in Rivergate Keep to get the coveted Skein of Wisdom (+1 Intelligence) but killed Moseh to appease the Rebels, since I was already doing more for the Shapers, having turned in the rebel caravan.

This gave me access to both camps and both magic trainers...the Shapers are slightly expensive to me and the Rebels are expensive at this point...not bad. It gives me both Drayks and Kyshakks early in Chapter 3. I was able to take out the pesky slowing Soulreaper Twins in the Sandros Mine with my Servile and one Kyshakk. When I can bump up Intelligence to get a Drayk and Kyshakk, I'll take on the golem in the mine. The golem always seems harder than the Forgotten One to me. My Servile just got Strong Daze and Dominate. Nice, except Dominate isn't working on summoned foes too well (not on Ur-Glaaks or the guardian golems that Shaftoe summons...well, the very first time I charmed it, but never again after that first time.

I'm at level 30 here 3/5 through the game. I need more Intelligence and Mental Magic at this point. I have insane strength and infiltrator capabilities due to all my bonus gear.

What are others playing as right now and how is it going?

-S-

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #34
argh, triple post...having problems with UBB presently. my apologies.

-S-

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 21:17: Message edited by: Servile Synergy ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #35
Keep crossing with you Synergy

The Forsaken Lands Shaper Camp has a hut just past the electrified field on the north side with the spore box controls. Then there are four more huts with a few items like healing spores and other things that are of much value by the time you can get to them. Next is a minefield with a trigger that I couldn't disarm but I did survive buffed with augmentation, essence armor, steel skin, and protection. There are more troops with some agents, guardians, and shapers in a larger compound. There are 4 shaping platforms that provide an endless stream of kyshakks, war tralls, rodhizons (?), and I think it was wingbolt. There are 4 essence pods back here. You only get experience for the troops.

The best thing is to buff and attack the troops as they pass the electrified field. Then run when their numbers increase. Pop out to Southforge Citadel and back to loot and fight over again.

The Western Morass is a hit and run operation in Burwood. As a lifecrafter I had enough creations to kill everyone after a few trips. The west end has two shaping platforms that create vlish, but you can station creations to kill them while you explore after you kill the Shaper forces. Every time you return there will be some new guards that appear at the entrance.

You need to clear it to be able to find the entrance to Matala's Workshop along the north side following a path along the northeast corner. There is the recipe for the Girdle of Succor and the blademaster charm locked away so you need to fight the Golem.

Running a 35th level servile after Chapter 3 and killing Shaftoe. I went back and found that if you repair Moseh you still get the quests for Shaftoe and Eliza and the agate stone for the Eastern Rise. Then you can do the Rebel quest in Chapter 3 and still get the Shaper missions for Chapter 4. I tried to do the Soul twins by myself and kept getting slowed too much. The golem I found will key on the nearest creation so if you spine shield it with the usual buffs then keep healing with major heal and essence shackle the golem it should be doable.

When I did the Breeding Pit against the Unbound I sent my highest health creation to fight it and hung back healing.

Doing Jared's Wrecked Labs quest cuts his prices so I only bought the strong daze and other spells that he doesn't sell. The creations are better in the Shaper Camp for this point in the game except you can't get the barred drayk.

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 21:35: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #36
This is fun. I've been waiting to talk about this game for months. And it is so much more fun to replay than A4 was.

I was wondering about what to attempt with Moseh, because the word was that killing Moseh after repairing him seems impossible. Has anyone succeeded in doing so? I'd love to do the bunkers all pro-Shaper initially, and then go back and kill them all for the rebels, heh.

I had forgotten about the Guardian Stone reward from the Shapers. I am constructing a list of rewards for tasks. Maybe I'll get it going so others can contribute to it. I also have lists of all canister locations, and most significant item locations. They are written now, rather than typed though. Also got a list of charms going too. I was able to wind up with three Mental Focus Charms in one game by making two on the forge and finding one other.

-S-

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #37
I did Chapter 3 as a Servile without recruiting anything but the 3 Servile Techs when I went into Northern Grosch to kill Monarch. The mines are worth almost a full level. The downside was that I got almost no experience killing the remaining creations in the Fens afterwards.

I went through the Bunkers helping out the Shapers. Once you kill Moseh or any of the others the remainder turn hostile. I tried repairing Moseh as a lifecrafter, collected the reward in Rivergate Keep, and went back to kill him. I got him surrounded by his hostile summoned fyoras and roamers in hasted bless mode. Over 400 points of damage a round for about 10 rounds and he wouldn't die. I know that Eliza is harder to kill after Moseh is repaired but she and Shaftoe are killable.

You get one mental health charm from Greta for killing Monarch and getting the papers. I don't like forging them because the madness gem is useful and hard to make.
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #38
Well - I figured out one other aspect of 'the change' that killed my first character. Experience. I seem to remember a lot of tweaks to that.

Playing through as a lifecrafter from the beginning I'm already up to level 23 and I've just hit the Fens. My original 'agent' was at Quess-Uss and level 25. No wonder it was treating me so badly. Looks like the experience tweaks really accelerated advancement (especially since my lifecrafter typically has three creations and the 'agent' was always solo.)

So, what sort of levels were people when they hit Chapter 4 or Quess-Uss or thereabouts?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #39
I think my servile doing almost all the quests is 34 when he finishes Chapter 3. My lifecrafter with 4 creations was about 32 at the same point.

By the time my lifecrafter reaches Quessa-Uss he is 38. The experience tweaks add about 10-15% more experience.

*grumble* 37th level in Burwood and I get no experience for most of my kills. I'm going to have to slaughter Western Morass just to make another level.

[ Friday, November 24, 2006 05:48: Message edited by: Randomizer ]

Pages