Help me plan my character

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Help me plan my character
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #25
Good heavens, so you do. My mistake.

Edit: How sneaky to change this - it is explained in the PDF instructions, but nowhere in the game itself.

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 14:57: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
The non-advanced creations are all very easy to get enough shaping skill for; some of the higher-tier advanced forms require quite high skill by comparison. You can still get most or all of what you need from item bonuses, though.

quote:
I saw an option to let the evil chapter 3 shaper go. I couldn't find anything on the boards about it and I didn't want to replay the battle. Did I miss anything?
Nope. Letting him live makes Greta somewhat annoyed at you but doesn't actually affect your reputation, and you're smart enough to not mention it to the Shapers if you're working with them. It doesn't affect the ending either.

quote:
What should I spend my tokens on?
A guardian cloak is a decent choice. So is a bunch of Steel Spines. None of the other items are all that impressive.

quote:
What artifacts should I make? I have one golden crystal.
Gloves of Savagery are a no-brainer for any class; they do mean you can't make the Legs of the Tyrant until much later, but they're superior to the LotT and other, better greaves are available anyway.

Most of the other good artifacts (Cloak of Shadows, Shapemaster Boots) are ones you don't have access to the ingredients for yet.

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 15:16: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #27
I make all Shaping skills at least 4, to be safe.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #28
If you have a lot of creations then rod of succor is also useful. You can always use the tokens to buy things and then sell them to raise money.
Apprentice
Member # 7064
Profile #29
Okay, I'm in chapter five and I decided to start over with a new character.

I felt like a god with my reaper batons and four drayks but I was still lacking.

Submission thorns were incredibly good as well.

For several reasons:

I overrated spine shield, the thing was worthless during most of the game. I used 3 of the 12 canisters on it and I got no payback.

Agent's Shelter is greater than Stasis Shield. Dexterity, Intelligence, Missile Weapons, and Mental Magic are the most important stats. Stasis Shield raises irrelevant stats.

Ring of Eye's Purity is worthless. It only raises the useless battle magic skill.

Mechanics is useless. Because of the no 1xp minimum anymore, I'd rather use unlock and save living tools.

It's only important to min max experience in chapters four and five. In the earlier chapters you'll just get no experience sooner whereas in those last chapters those are your final opportunities.

The only time where you really have to help the shapers is to return the Heart of Klin.

Leadership is still really important because of the quest options it opens up.

Okay, so I've decided round two:

Ally with rebels because by not spending money on useless spells, I won't need the shaper income. Exceptions will be abound of course.

The goal is to get the following items and spells as soon as possible:

Reaper Baton
Items that boost mental magic
Items that boost dexterity and missile weapons
Items that boost fire shaping and drayks
The guardian claymore, the talisman of might, and the legs of the tyrant.
Mass Madness

Since early experience doesn't really matter I can just run through zones and come back later.

The question is do I put skill points on mechanics and skimp on endurance or do I skimp
on mechanics and run through electrical fields and over lava pits with my high endurance. Perferably I can skimp on both for my skill points in dexterity/missileweapons, intelligence, and mental magic.

So any suggestions?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by KnowledgeBrew:

I overrated spine shield, the thing was worthless during most of the game. I used 3 of the 12 canisters on it and I got no payback.
Never use more than one canister of the same spell. The bonus is so small that you won't notice it.

Spine Shield is a pretty effective spell against melee opponents, though. I'm surprised you didn't get much use out of it.

quote:
Mechanics is useless. Because of the no 1xp minimum anymore, I'd rather use unlock and save living tools.
You'll still want some Mechanics for disabling mines (and, in a couple of places, power spirals).

quote:
The only time where you really have to help the shapers is to return the Heart of Klin.
Helping the infiltrators in Chapter 4 isn't a bad idea either; the Blasted Greaves are a very, very good item.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by KnowledgeBrew:

Agent's Shelter is greater than Stasis Shield. Dexterity, Intelligence, Missile Weapons, and Mental Magic are the most important stats. Stasis Shield raises irrelevant stats.
The Stasis Shield can be incredibly useful in one scenario: you are using lots of Drayks (or other 1st-3rd tier creations). This is a plausible scenario, since Drayks are one of the best values in the game. Unlike 4th and 5th tier creations, Drayks don't have a built in mental effect resistance at all, which can lead to a number of annoying scenarios, particularly if they are charmed. In that case, the Stasis Shield is by far the most useful shield for a lifecrafter with many creations.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #32
If you want to build up experience quickly in the beginning then mechanics of 8 will get you through the Boiling Mudpits before you do Crenshaw Dell for a level of experience.

The game is made so you can get through with mechanics of 5. Still there are plenty of places like the Warded Sea Caves and Monarch' s Realm where higher mechanics will pay off with easy experience.

It goes more to playing style. Drayks are great creations because they never run out of energy for their missle attack. If they get charmed you can always charm them back, so watch the messages at the bottom and replay them.

Pages