The Challenge to End All Challenges

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Challenge to End All Challenges
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
This is probably one of the rare games where it's worth using supply tokens to get the guardian cloak. The infiltrator's cloak can always be swapped since you have to change so many other items. It will be until Quessa-Uss until there is another cloak worth using for armor protection unless you use the dead-eye cloak for just it's missle ability.
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #26
How'd ya get past upper southforge without casting war blessing?

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Warrior
Member # 1668
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Tarrasque:

Tarrasuqe, for someone who (at least according to his or her signature) places value in the karma rating, simply repeating a joke that was cute the first time [but tiring the second] is probably not the way to get a fourth star...

--------------------
"Mongo only pawn in game of life" -- Mongo
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Man. Wingbolts make the Fens easy, even without magic. I've got three of them now, and am levelling up off the endlessly-respawning rogues in Central Fens. Unlike practically every other source of endless opponents, the rogues in the Fens actually give XP, so I intend to kill them until they stop doing so.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

In hindsight, that fight would have been a lot easier if I'd had a Charged Vlish.
:D

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I'm now level 33 and have cleared out most of Monarch's lair, including killing Khyryk and chatting with the Warped Creator. Wait, strike that, reverse it.

I beat Monarch with nothing but cryoas and vlish in my last Lifecrafter game, so, well, I don't see him being much of a problem this time. Even without magic.

Update: Monarch was disappointingly easy. For some reason his AI broke and he just sit around and let me beat on him for the first 3 rounds or so of the fight.

Hey, am I the only one who thinks the lies you tell to the leader you don't give Monarch's papers to are really, really weak? I have 10 Leadership, I ought to be able to come up with something better than "the papers were destroyed in the fight"!

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 00:08: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
Whew. Helping Shaper Horis was another interesting challenge. Without any effective healing ability to keep her alive, I had to absorb one of my Wingbolts, make three Glaahks, bless them with a rod of battle, haste them with speed spores and have them attack the kyshakk while my shock trooper shot at it with a submission baton. In between shots I had to use healing spores, because every 3 or 4 rounds I wouldn't stun it heavily enough and it'd attack someone, usually Horis. Total item usage count: 2 Rod of Battle charges, 2 Shielding Spores, 3 Speed Spores, about 3 packs of Submission Thorns and 10 Healing Spores.

Made a beeline for Poryphra and bought two levels of Create Rotghroth. Verdict: huge disappointment. They have slightly more HP than my wingbolts and hit slightly harder in melee. I absorbed them and made 2 more wingbolts instead.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 03:34: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #32
I am pleased to see that Glaahks are continuing to be useful in this challenge, despite being more vulnerable than Wingbolts.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
Helped all five Infiltrators, then went back to kill them. The Blasted Greaves and Stasis Shield should both serve me well. It's so easy when you're evil.

And because I am not entirely sane, I decided to take on Matala. Naturally I took the precaution of destroying his restoration pylons before waking him up -- no point making a long fight even longer. He's quite vulnerable to magical damage (well, more vulnerable than he is to any *other* sort of damage), so my squad of five Wingbolts was taking down his HP at a reasonable pace. My shocktrooper was relegated to spore-tossing duty, because she sure wasn't going to be inflicting any significant damage.

The only real problem was the last stretch, where I had to deal with a pumped-up Drakon hitting me for heavy damage *and* a hasted Matala hitting my entire group with fire twice a round. Sending in one Wingbolt to melee range with him seemed to increase the chance that he'd waste some of his AP moving around and only use his fire attack once, sometimes not even catching everyone within its radius. Even so, by the end of the fight half my squad was running around terrified from the damage they'd taken. In the end, I managed to kill him without losing any Wingbolts, but only barely -- I used up most of my healing and major healing spores.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 06:14: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
Thuryl, this challenge is proving far too easy for you.

So it's obvious what the next one has to be. The Trakovite Royale. No canisters, no spells, *and* no creations.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
Also, don't use your skill points, and no equipment. :P

As I recall, I beat GF1 and GF2 (the first time) without using any magic, because I didn't really understand the game mechanics. It was just me and my pair of fyorae, who never died and never got re-absorbed.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #36
I presume that means no using dbugkill either?

quote:
Originally written by wary wanderer:

quote:

Tarrasuqe, for someone who (at least according to his or her signature) places value in the karma rating, simply repeating a joke that was cute the first time [but tiring the second] is probably not the way to get a fourth star...

Actually I couldn't care less about those lousy stars!

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 08:25: Message edited by: Tarrasque ]

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #37
Charged Vlish...

The Black and Decker Vlishy Squisher. Plugs in to any pylon for easy recharging.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Facepalming Hecatonchire:

Thuryl, this challenge is proving far too easy for you.
Honestly? You're right. There are some parts that have actually been easier than both my Servile and my Lifecrafter, since being able to neglect magic skills and use my entire essence reserve on creations means a bigger and better creation army, and I can make up for the lack of buffs with items when I need to. (Also, my Lifecrafter game was my first game, so I wasn't as good at optimising.) The only thing that really hurts me is the lack of healing.

quote:
So it's obvious what the next one has to be. The Trakovite Royale. No canisters, no spells, *and* no creations.
I went entirely without canisters and creations (except for joinable NPCs) in my Servile game, and didn't particularly miss the loss.

I think going without all three would actually be feasible with extensive use of pods, crystals and wands. I predict that Matala and the Sandros Mine bosses would both pose significant problems. Matala would probably be beatable if I had enough pods to burn, while the shades and even the Forgotten One could be dealt with using a baton to evade their slowing touch. The Old Golem... I might try to stick a bunch of Steel Spines on my equipment and let the backlash damage kill him while I desperately attempt to heal.

I don't see how I could possibly help Shaper Horis, except maybe with massive use of Null Wands and Ensnaring Fibers. I'm not convinced that would be enough.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 14:45: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #39
quote:

I presume that means no using dbugkill either?

quote:
Originally written by wary wanderer:

quote:

Actually I couldn't care less about those lousy stars!

And now you have one :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #40
Victory!

I made my way through Chapter 5 without too much difficulty. Killing Drosstro so as to get her ring was the only really tricky part; I had to have everybody sit in the far corner and wait for the cryodrayks to come to me so I wouldn't be overwhelmed while trying to make my escape.

Of course, after getting to Northforge Citadel I had to do the Sealed Catacombs, just to see if I could. By this point my shocktrooper was level 42, and had 6 wingbolts. 10 Endurance (including item bonuses from the Forbidden Band and Blasted Greaves) meant she had 400ish HP and could take a hit or two if necessary.

The Tralls and the Clawbug Queen went down pretty easily; the Electrified Trall had to be taken down with a combination of Wingbolt melee and reaper baton fire, but didn't hit hard enough to pose a real threat.

Eye Mindtaker Fhonge was more of an annoyance. Since my Wingbolts couldn't do much to him, my shocktrooper had to provide supporting fire with her reaper baton. Even with 10 points in Dexterity and Missile Weapons and a couple of Ivory Skulls on my armour, my shocktrtooper was only hitting 75% of the time, but that was enough to wear him down. Meanwhile, I kept one Wingbolt at melee range; its melee attacks only had a 39% hit rate, but it encouraged the eyebeast to use its own weak melee attack instead of Aura of Flames. Only one of my Wingbolts was charmed during the battle, and he spent the next few rounds ineffectually attacking another Wingbolt.

On to the Titan. I couldn't very well sneak past him with 6 creations in tow, so I just had to face him with his machinery still active. The magical damage was insignificant to my Wingbolts anyway, so I just had to make sure my shocktrooper didn't die from it.

Naturally, the group shielding, blessing and speed items all came out for this fight. First form wasn't so bad -- he got one hit in with Aura of Flames, and I promptly healed the damage with spores.

Second form was a problem. I had taken the precaution of using not one but three charges from my Rod of Alacrity before the fight, so his group-slowing ability wouldn't shut me down. Even without that to worry about, he hit hard enough to be a serious threat. My wingbolts attacked him while my shocktrooper spammed Torrent Gems to take out his kyshakks and used healing spores when necessary. I lost one Wingbolt to this form, but I'd only recently shaped it and it hadn't gained any levels yet, so it was no great loss.

The third form wasn't much of a threat in itself, but made some nasty creations. My wingbolts took out the rotdhizons as quickly as possible, with my shocktrooper again providing support with torrent gems (I'd collected about 17 throughout the course of the game, and had 9 left by the end of this fight). All in all, I spent about 2 rounds killing each form, but it sure felt like longer.

With the Titan out of the way, I went in to clear out the Sentinels. The Southern Sentinel put up a fight, but was hardly any worse than the Titan; the other two were laughable.

Finally, I went back to Northforge Warrens for the Shaper endgame. Just so I could show off a little more, I cleared out the Inner Shaping Halls entirely without the assistance of Alwan's troops. The patrols weren't hard, and the rebel bigwigs around the control panel could be lured out one at a time.

When I get time, I just might try that no-magic, no-canister, no-shaping challenge.

Endgame screenshots for your edification:

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/crystal1.jpg)

Complete lack of investment in magic pays off.

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/crystal2.jpg)

My inventory was about this full for most of chapters 4 and 5, by the way. The empty space in the upper right corner is where my speed spores used to be before I used them all up.

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 01:28: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Unlike practically every other source of endless opponents, the rogues in the Fens actually give XP, so I intend to kill them until they stop doing so.
During the beta, the spawning fen rogues gave no XP. I'm not sure if anyone else did, but shortly after I complained about this, they began to give surprisingly generous XP.

You're welcome.

-S-

P.S. Casting speed or using a Rod of Alacrity three times before a fight will negate the slowing effects of drakon fire? If so, this is news to me. Perhaps someone can elaborate on how casting cumulative same spells of this or any other kind is worthwhile.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by 7Synergy7:

P.S. Casting speed or using a Rod of Alacrity three times before a fight will negate the slowing effects of drakon fire? If so, this is news to me. Perhaps someone can elaborate on how casting cumulative same spells of this or any other kind is worthwhile.
Hasting repeatedly is generally not powerful enough to negate the slowing from a direct attack, but the Titan's second form also has the ability to mildly slow the entire party. If you only use the Rod of Alacrity once, you end up slowed, and shortly afterwards, killed. Three times is enough that you stay hasted after it tries to slow you -- it'll still slow whoever it actually hits, but not everyone else.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #43
I saw the same thing that multiple hastes reduces slowing effects, but I only used 2 and got reduced to normal speed.

Getting by the Titan with a swarm of creations requires going into fight mode and wall hugging past him in a line so he doesn't attack. I do it all the time to take out the 3 sentinels first and shut off the pylons. I'm surprised you didn't use madness gems to slow the Titan and convert his summoned creations to your side. It works exceptional well with the Southern sentinel.

Congratulations on the challenge.
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #44
Wow good job on getting through with no spells!

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #45
Applause.

--------------------

Pages