SAVE FILE TRANSFER-POSSIBLE???

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: SAVE FILE TRANSFER-POSSIBLE???
Apprentice
Member # 7151
Profile Homepage #0
:mad:

I am befuddled again, noble Spiderweb fans, and I know you all know the answer I seek. Alas, I do not yet, so please tell...

can I transfer my save file to another machine? If so, I am ever so happy. If nay, then ye old **** my ass. I thought it would be ever so simple... sigh...Maybe I'll try a Service who loves the Shapers this time around...

Truly hoping he doesn't have to start over again,

the Eternal Adventurer

--------------------
"...through caves and glades with blades in hand, dispensing pain across Avernum land..." from the Epic of the Eternal Adventurers
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
If it's from Mac to Mac (from older to Intel Mac may not work) and PC to PC and the OS is not too different, it should be possible. Going from Mac to PC does not work much at all.

If you provide more details, we may be able to tell you more.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #2
In all of Jeff's previous games I know it was possible to do so. I have a Windows, so I do not know exactly what the file setup is like for Geneforge 4, but I can tell you to try to look for anything that might look like a save file or folder inside the main Geneforge 4 program folder.

Failing that, you can just copy the program to your new computer. I'm positive that should allow you to pick up from where you left off.

EDIT: *i, are you sure that the save files are not interchangeable between the two platforms? I always thought that since the game interprets those files with its own format, it did not depend on the operating system.

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 20:26: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 7151
Profile Homepage #3
:D

Multiple THANKS to this fine, brave sould who answers my call for assistance!

My attempted transfer is from intel mac to intel mac. No PC nonsense here.

--------------------
"...through caves and glades with blades in hand, dispensing pain across Avernum land..." from the Epic of the Eternal Adventurers
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

EDIT: *i, are you sure that the save files are not interchangeable between the two platforms? I always thought that since the game interprets those files with its own format, it did not depend on the operating system.
We're sure. We speak from painful experience.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
Older Mac to Intel Mac works.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #6
well on modern computers paricy law is abdated so you can't by the program's design transfer a file with memorie of a game to another : I meant that computers where disgned by exelence to not copy files from another computer exept some files like music and images.
I know that transfering files from a computer to another caused me problems .

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

well on modern computers paricy law is abdated so you can't by the program's design transfer a file with memorie of a game to another : I meant that computers where disgned by exelence to not copy files from another computer exept some files like music and images.
I know that transfering files from a computer to another caused me problems .

This is completely untrue and nonsensical.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
For Mac files just look inside the Geneforge Files folder for Save0 to Save19 folders and copy as many of them as you want or need to a new game on another computer to replace the ones generated when you install the game. They will then appear when you start a game on the new computer as saved games that you can load.

I did this a lot during beta testing to transfer the last saved game in one beta to the next one.

upon mars - file transferring between computers depends upon whether the file has a restriction against copying. Saved game files have no such restriction.

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 22:43: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #9
All right you have convinced me but i can't transfer game save files.

[ Friday, January 05, 2007 22:55: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
If course, the fact that you can't doesn't mean that other people also can't.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 7151
Profile Homepage #11
Wow. This has definitely become a lively knightly.

It seems, Randomizer, that yours must be the answer. But like my possibly-out-of-reality friend "Mars," I cannot get the transfer to work. I must still be doing something wrong.

But if you really want to help...

What this is all about is my refusal to sacrifice "Demonicus," my cryoa/roamer/vlish-loving rebel crafter. (Oh Demonicus! Tis for you I type this!) He really needs to transmigrate from my registered copy on my family's g5 mac pro dual intel to my intel imac running my CD copy of G4. Plus it's like 200 miles, but we might not need that variable...yet.

I see that there are multiple files in each Save file, and I tried copying Demonicus' multiple files from his old Save0 over into his new Save0, but for some reason I can't seem to get it to work...alpha cuss word!

Now I'm down at the radiostation, broadcasting all over kcsb.org
sigh
We cwould have RULED Terrestia, Demonicus!...

--End transmission--

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #12
(This on a Mac) I've transferred a whole lot of save files (beta-testing has that effect), and never once had it not work. Just copy over the entire folder.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
Copying the entire file (folder) Save0 will inculde the 4 folders within it. It's easier to use the copy command on the Save0 rather than do it for each separate file.

Since the computers are so far apart you could archive Save0 and email it, then unarchive and copy to replace Save0 on the second computer (or copy to a flash drive). Even the archived version of the folder can reach 350 kB. You know that you are copying the old Save0 to the right place when you get a dialog box from the computer asking are you sure you want to replace an existing file. Otherwise you might have placed the file in the wrong spot. I did that once with another file.

[ Saturday, January 06, 2007 02:58: Message edited by: Randomizer ]