Wingbolt or Kyshakk

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Wingbolt or Kyshakk
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
I'm a late 20s warrior and I'm in the fens. Earlier I'd kept an Artila from the beginning with high stats but now I want to absorb it for either a Wingbolt or Kyshakk. The problem is I don't know which one to choose. Any help?

PS. I'm not using canisters so I can't get a drayk

[ Saturday, December 02, 2006 11:36: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
I'd take the Wingbolt. That's what I did, and it was a blast. The Wingbolt does enormous damage against the relatively poorly resistant creatures of the Fens. It takes down most things in one shot, as I recall. But you'll have to pace yourself, because it runs out of energy quickly until it gets some experience.

I found Kyshakks rather disappointing in comparison. They're fine, but just not as much firepower.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #2
Ok, thank you.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #3
They both do magic damage. The wingbolt does a huge blast of damage all at once, while the other does damage over time.

I have found the wingbolt to be seemingly more resistant to hostile magic, and its energy reserves seem to hold out longer.

Plus, they look cool.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #4
quote:
Plus, they look cool.
Very true.

When I was testing them, while waiting for a respone, I found the Kyshakk's only advantages it's massive health and it's lighting cloud that does the same thing as poison. Though, I have the Oozing Blade so I already have a recurring damage type.

[ Saturday, December 02, 2006 12:34: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
They are extremely similar. Wingbolts start a few levels higher and have slightly more energy, though not by much. They are down about 300 HP, though as mentioned they have better resistance to energy attacks (80% vs 50% for the kyshakk). Their breath attack will always be a little bit stronger, but lacks the lightning aura effect.

I'd vote wingbolt for the simple fact that in a duel, the wingbolt would beat the kyshakk every time.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #6
quote:
They are extremely similar. Wingbolts start a few levels higher and have slightly more energy, though not by much. They are down about 300 HP, though as mentioned they have better resistance to energy attacks (80% vs 50% for the kyshakk). Their breath attack will always be a little bit stronger, but lacks the lightning aura effect.
So far the Wingbolt has done up to 250 damage, while the Kyshakk has only reached around 150 damage. Also, the Wingolt seems to do better damage in melee.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #7
Not just magic damage.

Wingbolts seem to also resist ice damage better, fire damage, acid, and poison. My wingbolts always take less damage than anything else I have. Kyshakks or however it is spelled, well, you don't need two different creations doing the same damage type. So I tend to go with cryodryaks and dryaks.

Out of all my usual creations though, wingbolts are the most magically resistant. Everything sort of bounces off.

But I have to watch when something melees them though. They are fragile. Well, relatively speaking that is. Physical damage rips them up pretty bad.

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
Their melee attacks should be almost exactly the same, except for the poison inflicted by the wingbolt. That is another bonus, it's true.

The damage gap also sounds huger than expected. Do you have more training in Magic Shaping than Fire Shaping?

EDIT: Vlish, I'm confused. Wingbolts actually have slightly more physical resistance ("armor") than kyshakks, 40% vs 30%. But neither creation has any resistance whatsoever to ice, fire, acid, or poison. None. Have you actually tested this or is it just an impression?

[ Saturday, December 02, 2006 12:53: Message edited by: --Slarty ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #9
I've had high level wingbolts under powerful blessing magic hit over 300 in damage on some foes.

--------------------

His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by --Slarty:

Their melee attacks should be almost exactly the same, except for the poison inflicted by the wingbolt. That is another bonus, it's true.

The damage gap also sounds huger than expected. Do you have more training in Magic Shaping than Fire Shaping?

EDIT: Vlish, I'm confused. Wingbolts actually have slightly more physical resistance ("armor") than kyshakks, 40% vs 30%. But neither creation has any resistance whatsoever to ice, fire, acid, or poison. None. Have you actually tested this or is it just an impression?

Just random observation through the beta. I think it is because the Kyshakk has more life and lasts longer in melee.

As for the magic attacks, I can't explain it, the wingbolt just feels like it takes less damage, but I can't explain why. But with powerful magic user types, my wingbolts lasted longer than my lightning spitters did. But I can't say why.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #11
quote:
As for the magic attacks, I can't explain it, the wingbolt just feels like it takes less damage, but I can't explain why. But with powerful magic user types, my wingbolts lasted longer than my lightning spitters did. But I can't say why.
It felt like this for me too. My Wingbolt seems to take less damage than my Kyshakk did. They last the same amount of time, when disposible, but the Kyshakk has twice as much health.

quote:
Yes I have one more level of magic shaping, but even they were both level 3, the Wingbolt would be miles ahead of the Kyshakk damage wise.

[ Saturday, December 02, 2006 14:45: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
I've used both and for damage a wingbolt is better for missle and the poison bonus in melee. A kyshakk is better for defense since it has higher health. If you are using it a shield against heavy damaging opponents then a kyshakk can just stand there and suck it up. Spine shield a kyshakk and then stand back and heal it from a distance.

I always like the wingbolt graphics better and thought that was the coolest new one that Jeff added.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #13
Also, my hasted Wingbolt can terrorize a Rotghroth in two turns.

I was fighting the maddened Rot that you find under the Golem's Fen and I used speed spores while attacking. I couldn't do very much damage since my weapon was an Oozing Blade which gives poison damage, which is what Rots resist. When my Wingbolts turn came, it did about 450 damage with two attacks. Next turn the Rot doesn't move. Then it leaves the Rot with about 100 health. Terror toke affect and it ran away. My Wingbolt easily finished it.

So far, the only thing I have found that the Wingbolt doesn't seem to resist is acid.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Yes, -X- once managed to take a Wingbolt down with a cryoa. It was enchanced, though, and he won due to luck more than anything.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #15
Kyshakks are for enormous melees as for wingbolts are to kill a single powerfull foe. The wingbolt because of it's strenght is to better keep.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .