Honeycomb...wow

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Honeycomb...wow
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
It's much more effective than previously with this continuous thing, and it also works well with the multiple-level-continuity thing. It's pretty awe-inspiring.

But mostly I'm posting to complain about the fact that Mertis doesn't heal you itself. I mean, sure you can use the altar, but that's so much more work! ;)

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I agree. The Honeycomb is the one area where the lack of secret passages doesn't trivialize exploration.

—Alorael, who got lost on the way back to Mertis from Sleater's little hideaway. He ended up somewhere else entirely fighting desperately with no energy left. Sure, he had energy potions, but potions are never to be used!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Actually, I found most of the game's expansive, convoluted underground cave systems (and there's no shortage of them) to be pretty non-trivial to explore. The Honeycomb is just the expansivest and convolutedest of 'em all.

[ Thursday, December 22, 2005 13:32: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #3
By underground, do you mean underunderground? :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
I suppose "ground" is a relative term. :P

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
I agree with Thuryl- my biggest challenge with wiping out the chitraches was figuring out where the queen actually *was*.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Akai Hoshi:

I agree with Thuryl- my biggest challenge with wiping out the chitraches was figuring out where the queen actually *was*.
Yeah, but with those you just had to take your time in moving through each section. The honeycomb has routes on top of each other that don't connect unless you move through half of the neighboring map.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

quote:
Originally written by Akai Hoshi:

Yeah, but with those you just had to take your time in moving through each section. The honeycomb has routes on top of each other that don't connect unless you move through half of the neighboring map.

When I first decided to tackle the Honeycomb, I spent probably about 10 hours of gameplay just trying to map the whole area.

It was awful.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
The chitrach caves under the Eastern Gallery and the sub-Great Cave cave that once attached to the basement of Patrick's Tower are definitely fun, but it's hard to get completely lost in them. All you have to do is retrace your steps or, at worst, find stairs.

—Alorael, who got very sick of popping up out of stairs to end up in combat with a large number of chitrachs. It was clever maybe once. It was just another chore the rest of the time.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

When I first decided to tackle the Honeycomb, I spent probably about 10 hours of gameplay just trying to map the whole area.

It was awful.

I remember running in, down some path to the north, getting one of my casters killed, and running back out as quick as possible. It was depressing, and it didn't make it any easier to get through the whole thing. It seemed that I only got people killed when I was as far as humanly possible from Mertis.

I'm just glad the wolves left me alone. Not that it would've been difficult, but it would've been annoying.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #10
question
is there still that party of sliths in the honeycomb?
and what do chitrachs look like?
:confused: ;)

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Just register the game and you won't have to ask inane questions anymore!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
Chitraches look like friggin' clawbugs.
And everyone who has played and enjoyed the Exile games had damned well better want to kill Jeff to death for this mistake. >8E

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #13
Yes... I miss the mantis looking bugs.

And where did the null bugs go?

Extinct?

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
I think there was something called a null bug that didn't radiate an anti-magic field. It was anti-climactic.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #15
Oh yeah. But it still wouldn't beat my disappointment in discovering the "clawbug chitraches". I was so looking forward to kill waves of those bugs I spent my entire gaming life hating... really, I was. I could imagine my adventurers' desperation when they were surrounded by creepy mantises with poisoned blades for claws.

Clawbugs are dull. :(

RAmpaGE.

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:07: Message edited by: RAmpaGE ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
I still wince in pain every time a clawbug/chitrach jabs my PC with its stinger though. It's a horrible noise with an equally disturbing visual image to accompany it, especially when you have owned a scorpion before. Not a happy picture.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #17
Never had the "pleasure", but I can imagine your pain. Still, nothing beats the image of my adventurers fighting for their lifes, surrounded by the mantises and covered in their gooey blood. One of the advantages of more power for melee in previous games.

Come to think about it, how the hell could a clawbug chitrach riposte a melee or pole attack, or even parry them, while we're at it? Those pincers are too small and clumsy to be able to do all that. -__-

RAmpaGE.

Edit: claws/pincers in the last paragraph.

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:25: Message edited by: RAmpaGE ]
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
I assumed it is the hard carapace shell of the critters which makes it hard to drive a sword inside those Plated Chitrachs. If it had been even more cleverly constructed, only a PC with a certain strength level (maybe 8?) should be able to puncture one, otherwise it would riposte or parry 100% and magic would be required to dispatch them.

Either way, they do toast nicely over an open fire...ho ho ho.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Let's not forget their total excess of legs. That would probably account for some of their insane parry/riposte abilities. And their incredibly speed (let's not forget how many times your party gets "ambushed" by a horde of chitrachs in what was moment before an empty corridor) would also help.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
In addition to the mysterious change in body that suggests that chitrachs evolve even faster than goblins (peach to pink), all the larvae disappeared. It wouldn't even have required a new graphic, because the cave worms and artilas (wyrmkin) were close enough! Why did those egg sacs give birth to fully grown chitrachs?

—Alorael, who was also very disappointed by the clawbugs. He held out hope that they were just placeholder graphics all the way up to the final release.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Novo Ordo RWum:

He held out hope that they were just placeholder graphics all the way up to the final release.
You know, I assumed the same thing about all the GF graphics until the final release. It seemed weak to me to recycle graphics from one entirely different world into another. I guess there were a few Nethergate graphics that got recycled into Avernum, and there was that eyesore boat in Geneforge, but A4 seemed worse to me than normal.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #22
Yeah... I was baffled when I first saw the "Hellhound". Here I was, waiting to see the face of the beast that I couldn't be trusted to fight until I was quite a few hours into the game, expecting to see what this new monster looked like. "Maybe something like an alien beast?" And what do I get?

THE RIDICULOUS ROAMER MONKEY!!!

I mean, c'mon, Jeff... why would you create a new monster NAME to give him and OLD creature's model? And one I could never respect in the first place. Obviously, now I can't take hellhounds as a whole seriously, even if they are strong.

RAmpaGE.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #23
Honestly, I thought the hellhounds looked like frogs. Evil, flaming, demonic frogs.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Also, why do Crystal Souls suddenly look like a writhing mass of blue tentacles atop a pedestal? That doesn't exactly say "big, immobile rock" to me.

[ Saturday, December 24, 2005 14:01: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------

Pages