deamons

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: deamons
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #0
Okay where the hell come demons? in avernum cause the demons in A4 freak me out (in a wierd way).

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 08:51: Message edited by: opon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Oddly enough, they come from hell.

—Alorael, who doesn't think anyone actually calls the other world/plane/universe that Grah-Hoth and company come from hell. That's what it is, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #2
So what is hell a firing pit were souls are eaten?
NAH in advernum they cannot be a catholic hell or am i wrong?
OKAY so it would look like hell, fell like hell ,smell like hell, taste like hell , listen like hell but would there be an accurate description of hell by avernites ? And if there is hell and demons there must be heven and angels or god would have just turned around and look at it like a relly big show? (the mubbling hypocrit)

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 09:20: Message edited by: opon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Well, there is a portal to hell in The Za-Khazi Run (although as Alorael said, the game never calls it that). Jumping through it gives you a description of lava and fire, but no souls.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
I don't think that the place where demons come from is ever refered to 'Hell' in the Vogel Canon (Easter Eggs aside). The most you get is an allusion to the 'nether planes'. Check out the Encyclopaedia: Demons and Aimee.

EDIT: Ah, seems I'm repeating what Diki and Alo have said. Oh well, my links are prettier.

--------------------
Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California.
- Edsger Dijkstra

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 12:38: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #5
I think it is understood that wherever the demons come from is on a different plane of existence from the Avernite's. It is just another one of those plain old nether dimensions. Nothing to worry about.

It is awfully similar to hell because of the lava and brimstone, but I doubt Jeff intended it to be a Catholic hell. That would be too terrifying.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #6
Probably because Jeff didn't want a religious war, he left it vague. TSR (now a subdivision of Hasbro) got rake over the coals about Dungeons and Dragons. They revised the demons and devils in second edition to placate the parents.

You can reach where they come from by various portals and in Avernum 4 there is some mention that they live on more than one plane since the Tower Colony one was trapped here after the Grah-Hoth incident in Avernum 3.

They did rule Avernum before the humans were exiled from the surface so they must like the place.

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 19:16: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
It's hell because it's an apparently fiery and unpleasant place filled with demons, who are really just fiery and unpleasant people. Catholics have a similar fiery and unpleasant place called hell (or Hell) as well, but the two shouldn't be confused.

—Alorael, who can't see Beelzebub as a haakai. It just doesn't work.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #8
So they come form an other reality.... alright it make sense .
So in avernum three types of creatures exist magical monsters like demons that inhabited avernum and the land above recently , semi magical type like humans and dragons as well non magical beasts like unicorns and lizards. I am wrong?

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 02:19: Message edited by: opon mars ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Sort of, but I think your terms aren't quite right. Demons and hell hounds and such are apparently not native to the world of Avernum, but they can be summoned. They may use magic (or not), but they're not magical. Dragons, humans, sliths, vahnatai, giants, and nephils (and arguably troglodytes) are all magic-using intelligent species, but they're not inherently magical. Okay, maybe dragons and drakes are inherently magical, but they also might just be inherently magic-using.

—Alorael, who doesn't really know what the difference would be between a creature and a magical or semi-magical creature.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
Magical creatures are simply those that evidently have a prodigious amount of magic in them, even from their incipiency or birth. Alien beasts, for example, are not magical creatures because even though the species was created by magic, each individual beast does not have the essence of magic coursing through its veins. Unicorns, upper level demons, and pixies are magical.

My belief is that the demons originated in their (uncapitalized) hell dimension and some migrated to the Avernites' for an extended vacation to get away from the agonizingly boring ennui of nothing but lava and fire, not to mention the fact that everything is shaded red. The Vahnatai lived in different cave systems so they did not have too many scuffles, and then the Avernites came and, like rude guests, kicked them back to their own dimension.

I guess my wonder now is whether demons can be created in the normal dimension...

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #11
What are alien beast ? are they those six legged creatures?

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
Yes.

Well, unless you're thinking of the roaches.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #13
No about those wolfes with six legs.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Yes.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.