Diablo Inspired?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Diablo Inspired?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #0
Has anyone ever felt that Avernum 4 has a very Diabloesque feel to it? It is almost as if Jeff Vogel was inspired by or had the game in mind when he created Avernum 4. It's the whole continuous world thing. It is very similar to Diablo 2. The way you leave town and immediately start hacking and slashing your way down the road, clearing out enemies is very similar to Diablo's style. So is the in-town healing. Anyone else notice similarities? This is not a bad thing. Diablo 2 is one of the top three or so games of all time, not a bad source to draw inspiration from.

The same can be said for other Spiderweb games. Anyone else think that the Geneforge series drew some aspects from the Fallout series? An example would be the way that walking is in real time, while combat is turn based. Again, an excellent game to draw inspiration from. Fallout 2 is probably another one of the top three games of all time.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Diablo 2 is hardly the only game (or even the first game) to have a continuous world. If anything, I'd suspect that Jeff was inspired by MMORPGs that tend to do the same. The real Diablo style in A4 is in the heavy emphasis on combat over plot or dialogue, really.

Geneforge strikes me as only slightly like Fallout, but it's a better match than Diablo/A4. I guess I can't think of any other turn-based and real-time games, but that's not much to go on. The heavy emphasis on factions and on odd lifeforms can be stretched into correspondance, but I think the links are more casual than causal.

—Alorael, who could stand to see more Planescape: Torment thrown into Jeff's games. That's another best game of all time and one that Jeff agrees about.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #2
i agree with alorael on everything there, though ive never heard of planescape.
but id like to add that much more important than the aspects you mentioned, is the games atmosphere. and who in the world would say that diablo 2s and avernums flairs have any similarities?
other than youre good and fight evil, of course.
or at least supposedly so.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
Good points. The fact that Diablo is not turn based is probably what throws you all off from seeing the similarities. But I think the hack and slash style makes Avernum 4 much more like Diablo than the previous Avernum games, or, for that matter, any other RPG I have played.

Planescape: Torment is not available for Mac, thus, I must assume it is a terrible game that was not good enough to be ported.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #4
i concur. a4 really changed a lot, and it did so in that direction.
and any game not available for mac must be horrible.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Planescape: Torment is not available for Mac, thus, I must assume it is a terrible game that was not good enough to be ported.
I normally agree. In fact, part of my Mac rationale is the moderately facetious assertion that all good games make it to Mac eventually so that getting a Mac means wasting less money on bad games. Unfortunately, games like Planescape slip through the cracks, and that's truly a shame.

—Alorael, who now considering Planescape a good reason to invest in an Intel Mac one day.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
Ocean Bound would then prove the exception?

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #7
Ocean Bound and Galactic Core weren't ports, though, so we're safe.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Ocean Bound is just software you don't register, but you can't claim you're not just a little bit curious about GC.

—Alorael, who knows that tunes will change when GC2 is released. It'll run on every platform known to man and a few more. It will run whether or not you want it. You will run and there will be nowhere to hide.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
In Soviet Russia, software make YOU run. :nod:

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.