Dispel Barrier Spellbook

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Dispel Barrier Spellbook
Apprentice
Member # 7359
Profile #0
I've just now completed the quest for Kelner that allows me access to the Dispel Barrier Spellbook; happy me.
However, when I go to read the book, in spite of the fact that it tells me I've increased my skill with the Dispel Barrier spell, I do not learn the spell. If I try to re-read the book, it tells me I don't learn anything new.
I've reloaded the game and tried this over and over again several times, all with the same effect.
Is there anything that can be done? Or do I get to finish the game without this spell? Being a perfectionist, and thinking of all the goodies I'll miss out on without it, I'd rather not. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
You can't relearn from the same book. This is painful if a party member "dies" just before your party reads from a book. If your skill level increases with a spell you should have gotten it. Check your character's spell list by going to training and go to spells/traits. You may not have been able to cast the spell because of your current mage spell level.
Apprentice
Member # 7359
Profile #2
The spell doesn't show up in my traits/spells page or when I press 'm' to access my mage spells.
I even went back and used an editor to put my Arcane Lore and Mage Spells stats up to 30, just to be absolutely sure. Same results: I read the book and it shows the message telling me that I've increased my skill with Dispel Barrier, but I do not learn the spell.
And, sadly, while the aforementioned editor can raise stats quite nicely, it can't teach spells.
So, yeah... still not quite sure what to do about that.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #3
You can always edit the scripts - maybe there's something wrong with them - do you have the newest version of the game - can you find the script for the section you get this spell - look at the part where it says you learn a spell, is there a
code =
alter_stat(?,1);
break;

anyway, can you post that part of the script - the "text" and the "code"?

edit: does your mage perhaps have heavy armor and not the trait (natrural mage???) that allows you to cast a spell even with that?

[ Monday, August 07, 2006 01:38: Message edited by: Anarhiztok ]

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Apprentice
Member # 7359
Profile #4
Alright, I realize that I am a complete neophyte when it comes to programming and script, but I believe this is the stat alteration script for that particular spellbook:
alter_stat(30000,53,1)

And the character is a Natural Mage, wearing suitable armor to cast.
Thanks for the help.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #5
well, i don't know if it is really that, but do you have a ; sign behind the ) sign
alter_stat(30000,53,1);

otherwise if nothing works, just add

alter_stat(30000,53,1);

to any other code that happens only once - maybe another book and see if you get the spell now.

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Apprentice
Member # 7359
Profile #6
Been on vacation, otherwise I would have replied sooner.
I'll try looking at the code again and adding the ; if I need to.
Thanks again.