Almaria Eternally Hostile Fix

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Almaria Eternally Hostile Fix
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #0
I did a sort of editor that's "entry point" is a conversation with Correlea at the Castle that fixes the results of Houghton's early demise, thus opening Almaria and cleaning up remnants. See _Almaria.txt

I've played with it for days and can't find any problems with dialogue or game progression/completion. No problems with freeing the captive mages, questioning "Mayor", retrieving accounts ledger, hitting both Almaria's trainers and completing quests. I freed Ghall-Ihrno while Almaria was still hostile so you can free him with or without using this. Almaria/Game acts the same as if the "forever hostile" thing never happened and Houghton didn't die early.

The best way to tell if one of your saves has this is Houghton is gone, and Almaria is still hostile. If so, this will fix it. If this doesn't make sense, you don't need this! Don't use it if you don't need it! (You can still finish game with Almaria staying hostile.) Be sure you have the latest version of A4 for your OS/Machine.

Dialogue with Correlea:

Question: "How long have you been a wizard?"

Answer: "Not long. Not as long as most. I studied at the Tower
Colony and I... I showed a knack, I guess."
"Though I do have my limits."

Question: "What is your knack for?"

Answer: "Magic. Most people cannot master magic. They can't
even cast the smallest spell, no matter how hard they try.
And some people, like me, just take to it. Magic flows from
us. Whether we like it or not."

"Nobody knows what makes one person one way and one person another.
It's a great mystery, I guess. For example, I can snap my fingers and
Almaria is no longer hostile. All of poor Houghton's remnants are gone."

After you exit from this dialogue you can go to Almaria. The "Go to The
Castle" and "Vahnatai Sighting" quests are completed and the
"Whispering Shard" is removed from Special Items in your Quest List.
Everything deceased Houghton wise is cleaned up. I would recommend
restoring the original script as soon as you fix this.
Both the script to fix and the original restore zips are available
and should be extracted from/to the Avernum 4 install directory.
The files are called almhostfix.zip and afixrestore.zip

Definately do a backup of your files before using this. And don't
over write your original Save Game until you are comfortable.

This fix is unofficial and unsupported by Spiderweb Software.
Or me! (Worked fine on PC and technically should work on Mac.) USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Here is link (look at NavBar on left):
Almaria Hostile Fix

And here for direct link to download:
http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/Avernum4/almhostfix.zip

Here is link to restore original:
Restore to original link:

Here is direct link to download restore:
http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/Avernum4/afixrestore.zip

Here is link to _Amaria.txt:
Read Me Text Only:

And direct Link to Text Zip File:
http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/Avernum4/_Almaria.zip

Note: You will not lose "fixed" Save Games by using restore. If you don't save a "fixed" game, just do the above again. Lot's of great stuff in Almaria. It's worth using this if you need it.

-EDIT: Decided to make entire Houghton dies early fix available instead of Almaria only fix. :)

[ Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:32: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
I don't have a game that needs it, but it's a great idea for those with old game files before the last game patch fixed the problem.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I don't have a game that needs it, but it's a great idea for those with old game files before the last game patch fixed the problem.
Thanks! I did have this problem with an old save game before I patched to v1.0.1. As far as I know v1.0.1 is only patch and current version for Windows PC.

But I could've sworn that I managed to get into this with v1.0.1 but I could be wrong...

Anyone run into this with v1.0.1? I thought I did this by taking several jobs/quests and not completing in reasonable order.
Maybe because I rescued Ghall while Almaria was still hostile then did some wanton slaughter and odd job/quests for a couple of days. Just roaming around where combat took me. Covered a LOT of territory without seeing Houghton.
Thought I found a way to crystal box (again) before ever seeing Houghton and getting Quests that opened Almaria and/or Barriers at Fort Emerald North Gate.
Maybe through scree caves, or Giant lands, or going to Spire fortress first. Saw Starrus and Rone before ever talking to Houghton. Had unlock skillsitems high enough to get to King.
Could have even done it using backtostart somehow. For all I know after a couple 16-18 hour A4 marathons I did a quick save game, killed Houghton myself to see what would happen, and forgot to reload before I quit for the night! (Killed Starrus once, ended game.)
Anyone manage to get Houghton killed early by accident in v1.0.1? Windows PC.

EDIT: It's possible that this was from an earlier save from v 1.0 though I think I did the patch in first few days and saved over the one I DID get crystal box early.
I've played this game so much with so many experimental/test Save Games I can't be 100% sure. :)

[ Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:42: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Apprentice
Member # 4763
Profile Homepage #3
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread...

[ Monday, July 24, 2006 08:34: Message edited by: Mentis Floydberg ]

--------------------
I once killed a man for his teeth.