bug? Or just dumb?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: bug? Or just dumb?
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #0
Going back to my Nethergate and Exile days, I have always loved taking every pice of trash and pick-up-able item on the ground in the game I could. I always go to some obscure dungeon and create a massive pile for which I deam "The Hoard". It makes for an interesting quest in the older games since they seem to have a max item count per town/dungeon. Avernum 4 doesn't seem to have this problem though.

However, recently I discovered something: if you have a ton of items in one place in a town, the party disapears...that's right they become completely invisible. You can move around like normal, but not being able to see if kind of...odd. I was wondering: Is this a bug only I am experiencing? Is this is a bug? Am I the only one to ever think of putting 100+ items in one spot? ....just curious.

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #1
This game has incredible drop and store capacity. But not unlimited.
Have you tried putting the cursor over area your party disappeared in and see if the characters highlight? If character highlights then I doubt there is a bug. Just a huge pile of "Hoard" and you reached/maxed display capacity. You also said you could still move around.
This game is pretty much idiot proof (I speak with authority as I've learned from idiot experience *grin*). You could try the "Cheat" code *shift D* backtostart *ENTER* (which cured a display problem I had due to a loose hard drive cable that messed up my save games) and return to area and see if it's cured.
Maybe spread your hoard around if it's (alleged bug) still there and see if it goes away.
Exceeding max physical capacity isn't a bug.
You may be able to "get/grab" enough items and store them somewhere else and not lose anything of your "hoard".
I have stored 100's of items in game. I use jars, barrels, boxes, cabinets, the ground, etc. I know for sure I've stored several 100's of valuable items in Forts Monastery and Avernum each with no problem.
Stackable items may not count in this perspective (i.e. 65 Knowledge Brews may count as 1 for storage/display purposes).
However. Debris like trash, bones, skulls, broken pots, etc. take space and can't be "stacked".

[ Saturday, July 01, 2006 19:50: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Originally by SpineRaker:

quote:
However, recently I discovered something: if you have a ton of items in one place in a town, the party disapears...that's right they become completely invisible. You can move around like normal, but not being able to see if kind of...odd. I was wondering: Is this a bug only I am experiencing? Is this is a bug? Am I the only one to ever think of putting 100+ items in one spot? ....just curious.
I've had this happen to my party several times. It doesn't hurt the game in any way, except for the fact that I can't see my characters and the fact that the game has slowed to a crawl. Just pick up a few items and start a new pile somewhere. Or use a chest, jar, etc. instead of the ground. However, I think that the max item limit for each zone is 200 items.

Dikiyoba thinks that Dikiyoba has run across this bug in Geneforge once or twice as well. But it's easily avoidable if "The Horde" is broken up into several smaller caches.
BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #3
The limit isn't 200 items because I used to collect food until I found out that the reason Aldous only had 1 AP is that I had about 175 mushrooms 40 meat 35 fish and so on. :)

--------------------
Don't be a noob, PLAY RUNESCAPE

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
-Save yourself and let them suffer
BANNED
Member # 7248
Profile #4
stackeditems count as one item for each stack of stackeditems so there

--------------------
EDIT except for my sig.!
Apprentice
Member # 3920
Profile Homepage #5
Yes, I wasn't thinking it would be a major prob since I am able to move through the field by clicking on the map, or just simply num-pad move them. I was thinking of moving the hoard into smaller piles, but that would take away from the visually pleasing site of it all together ^_^.

I wish they made it so the piles would actually become litteral piles after a while as opposed to blobs across the floor. That would be coolies ^_^.

--------------------
"I am not stubborn, your just stupid."
Warrior
Member # 3575
Profile #6
I am just wondering, is there any certain place I can store Items, or can I just pick a place? I got a few items I don't want to junk or sell, but they are wieghing me down.

Rebelk418@aol.com
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Just pick a place. Preferably a place that you will remember where they are at and can reach easily (like around the pylons in every town.)

Dikiyoba.
Warrior
Member # 3575
Profile #8
And the Items will stay there and not dissapper over time?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Yes, it's fine. As long as you don't go nuts and put hundreds of separate items in the same area, they shouldn't disappear.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by RebelK418:

And the Items will stay there and not dissapper over time?
No they won't vanish and (heh) no one steals them either...

EDIT: It seems as though some items I was storing on ground, (specifically items that I "won" in the Tests/Trials and wanted to save as trophies) in room across from Dining Hall in Fort Monastery, did vanish with time. Not 100% sure. However, items placed in jars, barrels, boxes and such have never gone away.

I like to use jars, barrels, and boxes. They don't leave any "ground clutter" and there are some handy ones in Appelo's store in Fort Monastery and A table looking thing (across from book) and a jar just inside the gate) in NW Fort Avernum Portal/Transport area.

If you do max out your coins (30000) it's real handy to store stuff at Appelo's (jar and barrel) cause if you run low on coins (like with the trainer in Bargha, he takes up to maybe 110000 coins if you wanted to train your whole party!) you can pull items from stash and sell them to her and zip right back to see him. Very handy.

[ Saturday, July 15, 2006 23:02: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."