New melee/archer options for A5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: New melee/archer options for A5
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #25
I like combat. Therefore, I like depth in combat. I enjoy tactical decisions when staring down some goblins.

This is probably why I tend to like action-RPGs more than traditional-RPGs these days. Since combat would logically be a large part in saving the world from evil beings, I see no sense in keeping it so simple. Keep it simple, but not this simple.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
quote:
Since combat would logically be a large part in saving the world from evil beings, I see no sense in keeping it so simple.
So is eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, etc. If in real life, your hero did not do either of those, he would starve, collapse from exhaustion, or have a bladder explosion. You have a player based tradeoff between ease of play and reality. I would definitely err on the side of the former.

I'm all for better tactics, but the novelty of special combat techniques wares off fast and to keep balance, the player would likely have to use them or the abilities would be worthless.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by *i:

So is eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, etc. If in real life, your hero did not do either of those, he would starve, ...
Some would disagree at this point, remembering the days when starving was rather interesting trait in Exile series.

------------------------------
The voices think that necessity of going to the bathroom in RPG sounds intriguing. I can agree, since it would be much more easy to sneak past the guards. You'll have to wait until the beer which they gulped back some time before is going to find its way out :P

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #28
Personally I'm glad it's gone. It's just an extra variable that really existed only to force the player to spend money on food. The only real place that food became a somewhat integral part of the adventure was in Exile 2 in the Dark Waters.

Don't get me wrong, food can really add to the atmosphere if the object of the game is survival. Otherwise, it's just an added nuisence. Also, once you got the Manna spell, food became really pointless.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
Food was moderately worrisome in Dark Waters, although Manna took care of that.

The real triumph of food is in Nethergate, in which Nature Lore kept food from ever being a problem until Annwn. Annwn was a lot of foodless fun.

—Alorael, who never really thought about it before but now has to say that Annwn is his favorite part of Nethergate and possibly his favorite section of any Spiderweb game. On the other hand, it may be second to Dark Waters. Are his biases showing?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I'd have loved Annwn if it weren't for all the spectral warriors. Nethergate's combat got pretty repetitive by the end.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Personally I'm glad it's gone. It's just an extra variable that really existed only to force the player to spend money on food. The only real place that food became a somewhat integral part of the adventure was in Exile 2 in the Dark Waters.

Don't get me wrong, food can really add to the atmosphere if the object of the game is survival. Otherwise, it's just an added nuisence. Also, once you got the Manna spell, food became really pointless.
ah you see thats where youre wrong

people didnt REALLY care about food... it was all about the skribbane herb :P

--------------------
Brother Glorat

The world is merciless, why should i care?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
I thought the fact that there was a constant stream of reasonably dangerous enemies draining your health and energy kept Annwn challenging. Without those spectral warriors it really would have been a cakewalk.

—Alorael, who can't say he enjoyed fighting them. They were irritating. They did make the place better, though, and that's what matters.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages