Fighting Rentar in BF - quick question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Fighting Rentar in BF - quick question
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #0
Just peeking at the walkthrough it says that you can fight or not fight Rentar in the first instance in the Basalt Fortress, and again fight or not fight her at the end.

It also says that if you fight her in BF she drops some items :D so...

My quick question is, if I fight her in BF, can I still see both endings? Or does that prevent me from trying the peaceful ending option?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You have no choice about fighting Rentar-Ihrno at any point, but you get different choices in dialogue before the fight under the Basalt Fortress and again after the second fight. If you choose the more peaceful and less confrontational options you can get a different ending.

—Alorael, who would be upset if the culminating fights in a game of fights were avoidable. A4 is not about diplomatic solutions! It's about extreme violence!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #2
I had the same question, sometimes the walkthrough is not *that especific*.
I saved before talking to Rentar and tried what I though was the diplomatic way...

SPOILER:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
And it was something like "can't we find a solution for this without fighting?" and although Rentar "is silent for a moment" she goes on saying I must be destroyed, then I reloaded and tried the "aggressive" option and we fought anyway. I haven't finished the game yet so I bet I'll see the consequences of my aggressive attitude ;-)

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
If you try a peaceful offer at the Basalt Fortress, then there are more dialog options available at the end. There are 3 main endings unless you count your losing as a fourth. All the options require fighting at some point.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
I believe you always need to select the peaceful reply to get the non-violent ending. If you pick one of the agressive ones, the option becomes closed off to you.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #5
If you keep being nice to Rentar you get a better ending, and the final fight will also be a bit easier.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Well, it's not really a "better" ending unless you particularly want Rentar to survive.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Well, it's not really a "better" ending unless you particularly want Rentar to survive.
You cold-blooded opponent of vahnatai life. :)

Nah, I still think the ending is better if Rentar survives. Remember what Ghall-Ihrno said? That the vahnatai were going to heal her and all that? It's better than killing her, isn't it?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #8
My favorite response is sending her up to the surface.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Call me crazy, but I hope Rentar's survival is part of the canonical plot moved forward to A5. She's done with her lead roles and that's a good thing, but she's also a good enough character that seeing her post-vengeful conquest would be nice.

—Alorael, who can imagine her babysitting all the young little septuagenarian vahnatai and teaching them lessons like how to read and write and how to wield terrible destructive forces against the evil humans. She'd be so cute!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by There is no moniker.:

Call me crazy
Certainly not. In fact, I wholeheartedly agree with you.