How I rank A4 and why

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How I rank A4 and why
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #25
Little update from me.
My wife was already annoyed by A4 after half the Demo! She said she rather starts over playing from A1 on again :)
So I just decided to play a bit with Blades of Avernum to compare better, which reminded me of many many more things I'm now missing in A4. I'm not going to list them, because I don't think anyone would now bother anyway (and some of them are listed in other posts already), Jeff certainly knows them.
I just wanted to say that I changed my mind and I'm NOT going to buy A4 for now! Basically because the multitude of unreasonable changes in A4 destroyed the fun to much for me (My disappointement overruled now). And I can't follow the argumentation from Jeff that he did it to enhance(?!) fun, for me he broke with to many intrinsic RPG&Avernum components and rendered A4 to a mindless, automated, hack&slay without surprises (a key criteria which was pointed out before). So not buying A4 at the moment is my vote to hopefully get back to a classic style in A5 or whatever might come next. At least "force" a serious major patch, though admittedly this is rather unlikely.

krgds
Abraxx

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #26
Jeff does not care what you think.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
From Jeff Vogel:[Geneforge 4] will probably be well in the opposite direction of Avernum 4. More plot, talking, and intricate scripted encounters. But I'm trying to think about it very little at this point.
Jeff may not care, but he's catering to both sides.

—Alorael, who is more excited about hints that more old games will be Carbonized. Not losing older Avernums and Nethergate when Classic is no longer supported would be very nice.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #28
That is good...hopefully it will take the good elements of Geneforge and add some new stuff to them. I remain both hopeful and skeptical.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by *i:

That is good...hopefully it will take nothing from Geneforge and add some new stuff to them.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #30
TM, I'm getting sick of you quoting me by editing my posts. Your opinions are not god, so please stop acting like it.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #31
quote:

TM, I'm getting sick of you quoting me by editing my posts. Your opinions are not god, so please stop acting like it.
I didn't even notice the first time I saw him do that; I just wondered why he wasn't commenting after the quote. :rolleyes:

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #32
quote:

Jeff does not care what you think.
Correct, he might not care what I think, but he should care if I buy or not (and maybe others).
If he doesn't, well my wallet certainly cares and is the lucky one here ;)

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #33
Yes, but you are not his target audience of hyperactive eight year olds and septugenerian eskimos.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #34
quote:

Yes, but you are not his target audience of hyperactive eight year olds and septugenerian eskimos.
:D

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Warrior
Member # 4131
Profile #35
Averum 4 was a big,big dissapoinment.I only have the demo and I know that!!

why:
1.No lights:Very annoying.How are we supposed to see in the darker caves?!

2.Bad Plot:The monster plauges and vhaniti (sp) guy all pointed to Rentar and her friends

3.Bad Graphics:Hellhounds are fire breathing wolves rather than dog-lizard critters (I know they're roamers)

4.Too many baddies:I defeated some goblins,took one step forwards and 3 more goblins turned up!IT'S ONE LOT OF BADDIES AFTER ANOTHER!!!!Many weak creatures just annoy players!

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 10:01: Message edited by: Stormlord Windspire ]

--------------------
I like Biscuits!!!!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
On a related point to 4, I mentioned to Jeff at one point that it was kind of annoying that experience rewards drop off so sharply as creatures are below your level (as in GF). There's a lot of combat in Avernum 4 that has basically no reward.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 10:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4131
Profile #37
Thanks Kel!
5.No Elevation:I really miss the hills and chasms!

6.Stupid Pathfinder skill:There's no dangerous terrain....mmmm well except those endless chasms :P .Not that you can fall down/get safely over those anyway :D

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 10:36: Message edited by: Stormlord Windspire ]

--------------------
I like Biscuits!!!!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
I just realized I didn't finish the story. His response was this: "Meh. Some people want the perfect to be the enemy of the good. The scaling experience system has a self-balancing quality that works extremely well. If you're behind in levels, you advance quicker. If you're ahead in levels, it pushes you to tougher areas."

I wanted to reply more strongly, but held back. This is what I would've said: "Jeff, you're completely missing the point. The reason that it's cool that your games are so huge is that there are rewards for exploring everywhere. If people wanted to rush through an RPG, they would play a more linear, streamlined, and short game. They play your games because half the fun is in the exploration. People don't want to be pushed ahead to tougher areas."

I think I actually said, "Well, just take another look at it for A4, then, okay?"

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #39
Kelandon I totally agree with you on that point.

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #40
On the other hand, I was never munchkin enough to care that my experience wasn't rising much. I wanted to explore everything anyway. And I'm just as glad this didn't make me any more godlike than I already was, or the endgame would have been disappointing even for me.

The only ways I can see to avoid that problem are (a) Jeff's choice of giving negligible exp for smelling the roses, and (b) cranking the difficulty to the point where you actually need to snort every stamen just to survive. Option (b) seems worse to me, because I think it would replace the pleasure of free exploration with the tedium of being dragged through a compulsory and chaotic scavenger hunt.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
Well, A1-3 were set up such that if you actually did every quest in the game, the ending was extremely easy. I guess that's not what he wants, either, but it was kind of fun.

--------------------

His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #42
I begged Jeff to fix thrown weapons... So that after you throw them you might find a few here and there on the ground after a battle, like you would in previous games. I never got an answer.

I must say, I was slightly bummed out after that. Scrounging missiles appealed to my nature for some reason.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
I'm not really having much trouble conserving thrown missiles. Since my thrower also has a lot of Priest Spells skill and a little Mage Spells, I can use Bolt of Fire or Smite on most things, and save missiles for things which resist fire and cold, or for when I need to conserve spell energy. Right now I'm hanging onto 50 razordisks and 15 fine lances, which is about all that my party can haul around without being encumbered.

In hindsight, though, I kind of wish I'd just made my thrower/priest a straight mage/priest instead. Buying spells is expensive enough already, but there are times when I'd really like an extra source of Lightning Spray and Fireblast.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages