shades

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: shades
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #0
how do you kill the shade in formello.

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #1
By playing through, oh, 70 to 80% of the game and finding out what makes them tick, what their weakness is, and having the right special item. You can not kill the shade in the demo. And once you have the right item and the knowledge, you may not kill them even them. Depending on party construction, they can be pretty tough to deal with. Caution is advised. It is probably best to be about level 25 to 30ish. Maybe higher.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
****SPOILER AHEAD****
Eventually you recieve a quest to hack off a piece of the shade. You give it to a mage in the Castle and head out to do other things. You go to the Basalt Fortress and pick up a control rod while killing Rentar. You bring it back to the Castle and give it back to the mage (Her name slipped my mind). She gives you an item that will make the Shades unable to heal themselves. After that it's just brute strength, and a lot of potions. I find fire works well against all three Shades.

[ Sunday, March 12, 2006 04:10: Message edited by: Happa Tai Yattai ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #3
cant someone improve hawk king's editopr so it can give you that item.

[ Sunday, March 12, 2006 05:56: Message edited by: lordofdc ]

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Using an editor to mangle the order of the plot is likely to do very bad things.

—Alorael, who suspects that you could, with some ingenuity, look through scripts to find the right way to edit the editor.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by lordofdc:

cant someone improve hawk king's editopr so it can give you that item.
That would be a very bad idea. As Alorael said, adding that item would be skipping a huge chunk of the plot, probably making the rest of the game very hard to beat.

For example, if you took the item immediately, quite a few quests would be unavailiable to you, unabling you to get powerful spells such as Arcane Shield and Lightning Spray.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
If you haven't reached Correlea (the Castle mage) yet, giving yourself the item (the Onyx Scepter) won't help, because your party probably isn't powerful enough to last one round with the shades.

Repel Spirit and straight-up hack'n'slash kill the shades fastest. Though I will say that for the shade of Ice and the shade of Sickness, Divine Retribution works great (particularly when they summon help). It's not so stellar against the shade of Anger, however.

On a tangent, I can understand forgetting the name of one mage with no previous Avernum appearances. However, the Onyx Scepter is another matter completely... how does one forget it?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7
This applies to this specific topic so I thought I'd post it here instead of creating a new one.

It seems to me that theres a bug in the game, that affects the battle with the Formello Shade. If you stand at the top right corner of the top right lake around the Shade's Area, then it is possible to attack the shade without it knowing how to reach you on foot via an area of effect spell such as fireblast. The shade still uses the ice blast occasionally, though it doesn't always hit.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris