Beta Testing Testing One Two Three Four

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Beta Testing Testing One Two Three Four
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
I meant to ask this a good week ago. I've been wondering a few things about the beta testing process, assuming this general information isn't confidential.

Can anyone answer me the following?

1) How many people typically beta-test a Spiderweb game?

2) Is it actually fun?

3) Is it tedious and repetitive?

4) Is there a reward for the hard work besides the privilege? (i.e., a free copy of the game when you're done?)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled deprogramming.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 21:52: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #1
1) Have a look at the credits for any Spiderweb game. It lists the beta testers - that should give you an idea.

2) I found it fun but there are some not-strictly-fun work-like elements to it (like paying attention and trying to precisely document bugs)

3) I think Jeff goes for multiple beta testers going over the game a few times each rather than one beta tester going over and over and over...

4) The knowledge of a job well done and your place in immortality (or at least, your name in the credits). You also get a free copy of the game.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #2
Thanks 'roo. If I randomly mentioned "Severed Heads", would you know why?

P.S. I counted 18 beta testers for BOA.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 22:35: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

If I randomly mentioned "Severed Heads" , would you know why?
Well, if you mentioned it randomly I wouldn't.

But, as it so happens, not really.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 23:46: Message edited by: Skippy the bush kangaroo ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
1) He likes to have 15-20 per platform. Not all are listed in the docs, and BoA had an abnormally large group of testers.

2) Yes, but also tedious and repetitive.

3) Yes, but also fun.

4) Your name in the credits, a free copy of the game, and a jump start on the next game's testing.

You will need to go over every inch of terrain at least twice with at least two parties, record every little thing that's wrong (and that's usually quite a bit), and make a nuisance of yourself.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #5
this make me think that maybe i dont want to be a beta tester. i prefer that the game go out for mac so the mac people can make fun of the windows people about all the great things of the game.anyway the windows version is just a few months after the mac, in march maybe?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Wait... how would being a beta-tester spoil anything for us Mac users? They're only betatesting the Mac version right now, and Jeff hasn't said anything about Windows testing yet.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #7
So...Skippy...very good. Did you know it already or did you have to Google it? I take it you noted the song ("Skippy-Roo Kangaroo") which inspired my inquiry regarding Severed Heads, a band originally from Sydney and now centered in Darlinghurst? Where is that? I didn't see it on my world map.

What you knew and I did not was where Skippy the bush kangaroo orginally came from, so thanks for that trivia. Most amusing. Severed Heads are a very quirky, silly tongue-in cheek techno-pop-industrial-tape loop kind of band which have sounded like anything from a wall of looped noise to sort of New-Orderish.

I asked about beta testing because I have been graciously invited to participate, and I am curious to know what I'm in for. I was expecting to not be selected and never got around to asking these questions in advance which would have been smarter.

[ Friday, October 07, 2005 20:28: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Are testers even allowed to reveal that they're testers?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #9
The NDA focuses on keeping confidential all aspects of the game itself or anything specified as confidential (which didn't include the NDA itself), rather than the somewhat peripheral fact that one is involved in beta-testing. I was hesitant to say it, because no one else appears to be mentioning their confirmation, and I don't want to look smug either. I'm quite pleased of course, and I know it's also going to be a lot of work. I have mixed feelings about doing it, but am sure it will be worth it or I wouldn't have applied in the first place. I'm quite new around here still, so it feels good to be able to give something helpful to the community by doing this.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
Well, then in that case, I can stop holding back the fact that I got accepted. Victory is mine!

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #11
quote:

Did you know it already or did you have to Google it?

...Severed Heads, a band originally from Sydney and now centered in Darlinghurst? Where is that? I didn't see it on my world map.

I had to Google it.

Darlinghurst is in Sydney - its a suburb very close to the CBD. Doesn't sound like they moved at all. If you go to here and enter Darlinghusrt, in the state of NSW you will see where it is. Zoom out a few levels to get some perspective. The area called "Sydney" on the map is just the CBD.

Hope you enjoy the beta testing.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
Skippy—ah, so I see. Now it all adds up. If you felt so inclined, you could hop on over to sevcom.com, select Classic Albums in the scroll box, find the Severed Heads album Cuisine and click on the MP3 for Skippy Roo Kangaroo. It's really very silly. What is it that makes so many Aussies so delightfully whacked, anyway? ;)

Ephesos—hey, good goin'! Your first time too it sounds like? I take it you got your NDA via email, so I'm not sure why you were asking me about the policy? You know what I'm really wondering now is whether it is permissible (or useful) to have private dialog with other beta testers during the testing? Or maybe Jeff sends lots of feedback to everyone about snags and issues people are encountering. I'd hate to get stuck with no FAQ to consult, heh.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
Well, I just wasn't sure if I'd missed something. I have little experience sifting through legal documents... the NDA took about 15 minutes for me to really grasp.

quote:
Originally from NDA:
Such confidential and proprietary information may be disseminated within the Receiving Party's own organization only to the extent reasonably required for the proper evaluation of the Disclosing Party's products.
From this, it appears that we can consult each other. After all, I believe all testers would constitute the "Receiving Party's own organization."

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
Heh, Eph, my eyes quickly began to glaze over trying to read that NDA myself. Not easy to chew through at all, and I had to look at it several times to feel confident I had not missed something critical.

I might holler at you at some point if I get stuck or sumthin' if that's cool (privately of course) and you're welcome to do the same if you want. If anyone else knows this is not acceptable according to either the NDA or Jeff's wishes, please pipe up.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
I trust that you're smart enough to do it through PM, email, or AIM.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Of course... I'm not quite stupid enough to post details here.

(#400! Only a hundred until Erudite!)

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #17
Out of curiosity have either of you two recieved the beta version yet? I had to send the NDA as an international fax so I'm not sure if it got through, if not i'll just mail it.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #18
Not yet, Poit. I mailed my NDA since I didn't want to try to dredge up my fax software. I live about fifteen miles away from Spiderweb, so it should have been there by Wednesday or so last week.

I'm not sure what happens next...I assume we will get an email about an URL to go to, enter a password and download the beta or something like that?

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 06:20: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

Not yet, Poit. I mailed my NDA since I didn't want to try to dredge up my fax software. I live about fifteen miles away from Spiderweb, so it should have been there by Wednesday or so last week.

I'm not sure what happens next...I assume we will get an email about an URL to go to, enter a password and download the beta or something like that?

That's only if you have been chosen to test. Not verybody will test. The once that don't get the chance to test wouldn't here anything from Jeff, for as far as I remember.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
We have been chosen to test. We've been talking about submitting our signed Non-Disclosure Agreements which are our contracts with Jeff to beta test.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
Once he receives it you'll get the URL and password.

--------------------
====
====
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
So he already chose people? I thought he didn't yet... Sorry. Just ignore that last post then. So everybody who was chosen now already got the email saying that you were chosen? :( I wasn't chosen. :rolleyes: Oh,well. I new I wouldn't be chosen anyway, so what the heck.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #23
Thanks both of you, I just wanted to be sure I didn't stuff up my fax. I'm still not sure of course, but at least I know no one else has recieved the beta yet.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
Hey, anyone finally finished the game yet? I'm stuck in what I believe is the last or second to last confrontation. I'm wondering if others are having the same issue I am—might be a bug, or might be something I missed (not as likely). Email me or IM me ASAP, please: Synergy7167 on AOL. I want to finish this thing.

--------------------

Pages