Spellbooks and Arcane Lore-Dispel Barrier is AL 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Spellbooks and Arcane Lore-Dispel Barrier is AL 5
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
After days of running singletons around to different spellbooks, I have compiled the following list of spellbooks, locations, and arcane lore level needed to learn. For those of us running singletons, especially in torment mode, this means that Dispel Barrier is available at AL 5 (two levels bought and 7 skill points).

PC means piercing crystal required to reach spellbook
DB means dispel barrier required

AL Spell Location

3 Smite Fort Dunvo
3 Smite Mertis

4 Cure Poison Formello
4 Icy Rain Motrax Caves
4 Unlock Door Bandit Ruins (Hanvar)

5 Haste Hrickis
5 Daze Lord Bragg - PC
5 Enduring Shield Fort Dunvo and Reptile Island - Dragon

6 Lightning Spray Skunky Joe and Athron's Cave - PC
6 Minor Heal & Heal Bandit Ruins (Hanvar) - PC
6 Augmentation Eastern Gallery - NE Chitrach tunnels

8 Heal West Cotra - Potionary
8 Mass Healing Eastern Gallery - NW Chitrach tunnels after undead
8 Minor Summoning & Call Beast
Eastern Gallert - NW Chitrach tunnels after aranea
8 Repel Spirit, Animate Dead & Unshackle Mind
Nodiacus
8 Terror Bandit Keep - Honeycomb
8 Steel Skin Tower Colony - DB and key from Kelner

12 Prismatic Shield Fort Avernum

also at AL 12 I think another Prismatic Shield, Summon Aid, and Fireblast are available between the third box in Athron's Lair and behind DB barriers in Tower Colony.

It takes 18 skill points and two bought levels to reach AL 8
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
This is... confusing? Yes, that's the word I'm looking for... could you explain your methods a little better? And maybe make the list a bit more coherent?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
In particular, what is AL 3, 4, 6, 7, etc.? What level of skill does that actually represent, and why did you decide to represent that level of skill with something other than the amount of the skill?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
AL 3 means Arcane Lore 3 which costs 2 bought levels and one level trained with 2 skill points (or if you have the 7 points just train up). This is the total level needed in the party, so the cost is less if spread out over more than one person. I am sorry for the confusion.

If you are running a singleton, most people hold up on raising arcane lore since they think you need level 12 to get the all important Dispel Barrier. There are a lot of useful spells available for a singleton including Steel Skin that can be gotten before it can be bought,

I forgot to include a AL 8 Prismatic Shield that is available in Tower Colony in X's old office behind a dispel barrrier only barrier.

I left off some information about locations so people would have to do some work to find them.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Ah, that's what you meant by skill points. You meant actual skill points, not levels gained in the skill. Just checking, because these numbers seem otherwise rather low.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
After reading the whole post on running a singleton and how Synergy tried but forgot about Dispel Barrier only being obtainable from a spellbook, I wanted to try it myself. Playing in torment mode I finally reached the Tower Colony and got to the book. I was suprised that my Arcane Lore level 8 character could read it when level 12 is needed at Fort Avernum. So I got a different singleton that had completed the Eastern Gallery and ran him down through the demon encounter to find that AL 5 would work. Then I hunted through old files to find I had an AL 2 singleton that I could use. I finished the quest and trained him up until I could read the book and confirm that it was AL 5.

I spent several hours tracking down the minimum Arcane Lore level total for a party to read each spellbook, There is one book in Athron's Lair and two upperstairs in the Tower Colony near the demon's room that need between 9 and 12 to be read. It will
be a few more days before my party of four will have completed the Mertis Spiral and Tower Colony so I can find out what they are and their levels.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wrote this after a sleepless night of playing in order to get the information out to anyone wanting to try a singleton party. It doesn't pay to get Arcane Lore until the end of the Eastern Gallery. The best spells are Unlock Door, Minor Heal, Heal, and Lightning Spray.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Wouldn't it be more convenient to just read the scripts to find out what Arcane Lore total is required for each spellbook?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Here is the update to the spellboks with the original message clarified. I haven't been able to find this info in the scripts, so I had to do it by reading each book when I find them.

For the total party Arcane Lore level you can read the following spellbooks. PC means a piercing crystal is needed for the barrier blocking access. DB means only Dispel Barrier will work.

Arcane Lore 3
Smite - Fort Draco under Hrnak's potion shop as reward for slaying hellhound.

Arcane Lore 4
Cure Poison - Forello upstairs in church
Icy Rain - Motrax's cave lower level in SE corner after defeating Kravit-Bok
Smite - Metris under church
Unlock Door - Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery upstairs NE corner after defeating Hanvar

Arcane Lore 5
Daze - Lord Bragg's goblin castle lower level E side behind barrier (PC)
Haste - Hrickis upper level after defeating him.
Enduring Shield - Fort Duvno upstairs in Walner's shop
Enduring Shield - Eastern Gallery under Reptile Island after defeating dragon
Dispel Barrier - Tower Colony upstairs above Kelner as reward for slaying demon

Arcane Lore 6
Minor Heal and Heal - Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery upstairs in NW corner above lizards (PC)
Lightning Spray - Skunky Joe's hideout in NE part of Eastern Gallery

Arcane Lore 8
Heal - West Cotra Potionary store in backroom
Mass Healing - Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels north of Fort Dranlon access and then east past cavewindow spiders and undead (PC)
Minor Summoning and Call Beast - Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels north of Fort Dranlon access and then west past Aranea and in NE corner
Repel Spirit, Summon Shade, and Unshackle Mind - Nodicuas beyond bedroom
Steel Skin - Tower Colony upstairs west staircase SE corner door after defeating demon to get key from Kelner (DB)
Terror - Bandit Keep in Honeycomb lower level north side after defeating bandits
Prismatic Shield - Tower Colony main level in X's ruined office (DB)
Lightning Spray and Mass Healing - Athron's Lair (PC) and Mertris Spiral quest completed

Arcane Lore 10
Mass Curing and Mass Healing - Tower Colony upper level west staircase NW corner beyond lost automation and slimes (DB)

Arcane 12
Prismatic Shield - Fort Avernum after getting Whispering Shard
Summon Aid - Athron's Lair (PC)
Fireblast - Tower Colony upper level west staircase in center near lost automaton and demon room

For singleton parties it is possible to get Arcane Lore up to level 8 in the Eastern Gallery without hurting your other abilities. It helps to buy two levels in either Formello or Cotra and then it only requires 18 more skill points.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 09:32: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Apprentice
Member # 6724
Profile #8
About singletons and arcane lore. . .

(a bit of a cheat ahead)

When I run a singleton party, I don't train in arcane lore or nature lore. Instead, whenever I come across a spell book or dig site, I go to the "edit party" screen and create a new custom character. Then, I train the custom character in the appropriate skill for the situation. Once I've dug up the object or read the tome, I delete the new character and return to my singleton adventure. This way, I save a lot of points for more fun uses.

Cheap, yes. But also effective.

For even more fun, I do the same for tool use in the early parts of the game--or at least until "unlock doors" becomes necessary.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
I've decided to update the list of spellbooks and revise it by location. A quick list of abbreviations and there meanings:

AL is the total party Arcane Lore obtained by adding up the individual character arcane lores. The minimum to read any spellbook is 3 and the maximum needed is 15 for the most advanced books.

PC means a piercing crystal is needed to remove the barrier to get to the spellbook.

DB means the Dispel Barrier spell is needed to remove the stronger barrier.

Some spellbooks are behind locked doors that will be opened as quest rewards. If you have high enough tool use and/or unlock doors spell you maybe able to get to the book without doing the quest.

This list will be updated by edit to improve the information about locations, Most of the information was obtained from scripts.

Fort Draco
Smite - AL 3 -under Hrnak's potion shop as reward for slaying hellhound.

Formello
Cure Poison - AL 4 - upstairs in church

Motrax's Cave
Icy Rain - AL 4 - lower level in SE corner after defeating Kravvit-Bok

Hrickis
Haste - AL 5 - upper level after defeating him.

Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery
Unlock Door - AL 4 - upstairs NE corner after defeating Hanvar
Minor Heal and Heal - AL 6 - upstairs in NW corner above lizards (PC)

Fort Duvno
Enduring Shield - AL 5- upstairs in Walner's shop

Lord Bragg's goblin castle
Daze - AL 5 - lower level E side behind barrier (PC)

Eastern Gallery under Reptile
Enduring Shield -AL 5 - after defeating dragon

Skunky Joe's hideout in NE part of Eastern Gallery
Lightning Spray - AL 6

West Cotra Potionary store
Heal - AL 8 - in backroom

Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels
Mass Healing - AL 8 - north of Fort Dranlon access and then east past cavewindow spiders and undead (PC)
Minor Summoning and Call Beast - AL 8 - north of Fort Dranlon access and then west past Aranea and in NE corner

Nodicuas
Repel Spirit, Summon Shade, and Unshackle Mind - AL 8 - beyond bedroom

Fort Avernum
Prismatic Shield - AL 12 - lower level

Metris
Smite - AL4 - under church

Honeycomb - Bandit Keep
Terror - AL 8 - lower level north side after defeating bandits

Athron's Lair - PC needed to enter lair and key from Sleater for difficulty 28 lock. Must defeat dragon's demon
Lightning Spray and Mass Healing - AL 8
Summon Aid - AL 10

Tower Colony
Dispel Barrier - AL 5 - upstairs above and east of Kelner as reward for slaying demon
Prismatic Shield - AL 8 - X's old office on main level in SE part of ruins (DB)
Steel Skin - AL 8 - upstairs west staircase SE corner door after defeating demon to get key from Kelner (DB)
Mass Curing and Mass Healing - AL 10 - upper level west staircase NW corner beyond lost automation and slimes (DB)
Fireblast - AL 12 - upper level west staircase in center near lost automaton and demon room after defeating demon to get key from Kelner

Sulfurous Flats
Haste and Slow - AL 8 - near entrance to Vahnatai area (DB)

Great Cave
Terror - AL 5 - eastern side of cave, SE corner beyond shard arachnia

Castle - upstairs in the NW as rewards for parts of the Shade quest
Arcane Summons - AL 10 - difficulty 32 door
Divine Retribution - AL 12 - difficulty 30 door
Arcane Shield - AL 15 - diffiulty 36 door

Almaria under church
War Blessing and Protection - AL 3
Repel Spirit and Smite - AL 5

Great Cave - Randolph Halfbreed
Heal - AL 4

Great Cave - near Patrick's Tower below and east
Terror - AL 6 - defeat demon Icelord

Patrick's Tower
Fireblast - AL 6 - SE corner, left room behind difficulty 40 door as reward for defeating Lord Bharlon for Solberg
Control Foe - AL 7 - SE corner, right room behind difficulty 40 door as reward for returning 5 stolen books to Rita
Enduring Armor - AL 8 - Center behind difficulty 35 door
Haste and Slow - AL 9 - SE corner, center room behind difficulty 20 door
Unlock Doors - AL 10 - Center (DB)
War Blessing and Protection - AL 11 - NW corner

Slith Land northwest of the Castle through the Chitrach tunnels
Enduring Armor - AL 12 - east part of city (DB)

Memorial Lands - mage tomb past traps on lower level
Minor Summoning and Summom Aid - AL 5
Control Foes - AL 8

Blosk
Curing and Mass Curing - AL 6 - SW corner

Fort Saffron
Prismatic Shield and Augmentation - AL 8 - West side (DB)

Dharmon
Divine Fire - AL 10 - above the church

Beyond Fort Remote in the Western Wastes
For the third map section from Fort Remote on the upper level
Icy Rain and Lightning Spray - AL 8 - south part of westside behind 3 adjacent pylons
Smite and Divine Fire - AL 11 - a little farther north and towards the center

For the fourth map section from Fort Remote
Unshackle Mind and Control Foe - AL 9 - lower level along the west side in the center
Daze and Strong Daze - AL 12 - lower level NW where sentry lizards roam behind a difficulty 40 door

Rentar-Ihrno's Basalt Fortress
Divine Retribution - AL 12 - entrance level east side center (DB)
Divine Host - AL 13 - entrance level eastern part in center
Arcane Blow - AL 14 - lower level S center (DB)

Bargha
Arcane Summoning - AL 12 - SW corner in Gladwell's shop, (DB) will be removed if you feed Gladwell's slimes for him

Harston
Dispel Barrier - AL 14 - lower level south area (DB) ironically you need dispel barrier to get it. PC will not work.

Erika's old tower
Divine Restoration - AL 12 - upper level near lich (DB)
Arcane Summon - AL13 - lower level (DB)

Darkside Lair near Fort Saffron
Strong Daze and Control Foe - AL 10 - south center (DB)

Khoth's Lair - lower level
Divine Retribution - AL 13 - NW corner
Arcane Blow - AL 14 - NW near center
Divine Host - AL 15 - center

Fort Monastary - Lark's quarters after finishing quest
Arcane Shield and Divine Retribution

Rentar-Ihrno's Final Keep
Arcane Shield - AL 9 - (DB) west side center
Divine Restoration - AL 9 - difficulty 17 door north side center
Arcane Blow - AL 10 - SW corner behind Garzhad
Divine Host - AL 11 - SE corner with Fiery demon

[ Tuesday, April 04, 2006 20:11: Message edited by: Randomizer ]