Who else hates the job board?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Who else hates the job board?
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #0
Seriously. I like getting extra quests. I don't like completing them and getting a reward dialogue that fits in my status update area. Would it really take that much more effort to incorporate them into the main dialogue of the character?

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #1
I agree; most of the job board quests seem like afterthoughts that Jeff stuck into the game rather hastily. It seems particularly odd to me that you can talk to a person, and that person will seem to have no knowledge of a job that he has posted on the job board.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Apprentice
Member # 6611
Profile #2
I like it, it beats wandering around talking to all the peasants and lazy guards.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Another thing that annoys me about the job boards is that many jobs don't appear until other things have happened, so if you want to finish every quest in the game you have to keep checking all the job boards regularly.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I don't really mind the job board. It's not as though most of the quests require a great deal of dialogue.

"Hey, you! Adventurer! I have a letter that I would like you to take to some other city if you're headed in that direction!"

The job board does just as well and makes those minor quests centrally located.

—Alorael, who agrees that having to check back to get all the quests is a significant irritation. It seems to be less dependent on events than on some decision not to let you have too many active quests from the same board.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
I suspect that the job board would seem a lot more welcome if you played A4 without it. A4 seems to have FAR more short quests per area than any previous Ex/Av game, and managing them all might become tedious without the board and the job log.

...On the other hand, I wish there were fewer quests, but that they were more complex, particularly the main missions. The quests are mostly formulaic, and dungeons seem watered down compared to previous ones. Where are my Kothtars and my Pyrog Labs, my Abandoned River Forts and Tombs of Dahris-Bok, full of surprises and exciting twists? Even the goblin and nephil maps used to be less repetitive, I feel like.

Come to think of it, G3 had the same plot problems, with a very Lufia-esque, undeviating and repetitive sequence of events...

-- Slartucker, who still really likes the game, despite all his negativity

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #6
I'm not irritated by the job board's existence, just its implementation. Centrally locating things can be nice, but having a real dialogue at the end would be nice. Especially for quests involving characters you already interact with.
It seems like this implementation was designed more for respawning or randomly-created jobs, like taking a letter to some randomly-selected person in Mertis or something. But it doesn't do that either. :/

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

Where are my Kothtars and my Pyrog Labs, my Abandoned River Forts and Tombs of Dahris-Bok, full of surprises and exciting twists? Even the goblin and nephil maps used to be less repetitive, I feel like.
The Mertis Spiral! It used to be an awesome, five-level spiraling maze of horror and undead, with hidden passages anddarkness so that you couldn't see without a light spell.
Now the Mertis Spiral is just two levels of straightforwad undead-killing, which gets very boring after the first level.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
Are you talking about Exile? Because in Avernum, I seem to remember it really was just a single level that kept spiralling down.

But that was back when they had height. :(

(Or does A4 have height? It seemed like it wouldn't...)

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 04:47: Message edited by: Segrin Bilal ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #9
In A2 it was one town that got lower toward the center. Also, there is definitely no height in A4.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Segrin Bilal:

Are you talking about Exile? Because in Avernum, I seem to remember it really was just a single level that kept spiralling down.

But that was back when they had height. :(

(Or does A4 have height? It seemed like it wouldn't...)

Avernum 2, it got lower and lower as you walked down. Avernum 4, like Geneforge, don't got height. A shame really.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Apprentice
Member # 5620
Profile #11
yeah, that whole height thing is another sad loss. we have these new graphics, but no height? no hidden walls, no darkness...

its just so geneforge...which i like, but...i liked avernum too.