To Register or Not to Register...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: To Register or Not to Register...
Apprentice
Member # 6613
Profile Homepage #0
I have just reached the end of the demo, without killing the Formello shade. I am not sure if at this point of the game I should be able to or not. But at this point, I am wondering if buying the game will result in happiness a week from when I buy it, or if I will be upset about how lame of a decision it was. I am pretty optimistic about buying it, but I want to make sure
I need your input.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
You're not supposed to kill the shade until quite near the endgame.

As for whether you should register, well, let me put it this way. You have the $25 needed to register, or you wouldn't be asking. If you weren't going to spend that money on Avernum 4, can you think of anything else to spend that $25 on which would be likely to give you significantly better value, and which you wouldn't buy if you were going to purchase Avernum 4?

If you're asking whether Avernum 4 is worth buying in se, well, if you liked Avernum 3 and don't mind seeing more of the same but set in Avernum instead of on the surface, A4 won't disappoint.

[ Saturday, December 31, 2005 05:42: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #2
Oh it is so worth registering - the game gets better and better later on.

Really great eq to be found ;)

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #3
Ever weary of Jeff's penchant for unoriginality, I kept my eyes peeled whilst perusing the Avernum 4 board, trying to get a feel for this game. To say that I was less than impressed upon learning of Avernum 4's disgraceful plot would be an understatement.

I would highly recommend against purchasing this game - practically anything else in Spiderweb's repertoire is more deserving of your hard earned cash than Avernum 4.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Yes, and please, edit out the quote if you don't mind.
Done.

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 09:40: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #5
Yes, and please, edit out the quote if you don't mind.

Just trying to put the fires out.

Thanks, and remember, "Only you can prevent forum fires!"

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
I would highly recommend against purchasing this game - practically anything else in Spiderweb's repertoire is more deserving of your hard earned cash than Avernum 4.
Erm... so have you actually bought and played it yourself?

Or are you basing your opinions on zero knowledge whatsoever?

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Apprentice
Member # 931
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Istara:

quote:

Don't ask him for a reply, you'll just get another awkward and pretentiously worded crap post.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #8
i already registered but i ordered hintbook and cd too and during the beginging of the holidays and it hasn't come
:mad:
i think it's becuase it's not jaunary 2 yet :D

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #9
Yes, you should definately register, it's well worth the money.

Also, you will not be receiving the hintbook 1-2-2006, we (USPS) are not working that day :)

--------------------
fishing
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by DOT.COMmunist:

Don't ask him for a reply, you'll just get another awkward and pretentiously worded crap post.
Ain't you one to talk. What of your now deleted post? You are pathetic. Go play in traffic.

quote:
Originally written by Istara:

I've played the demo on Mac. I've read numerous posts from Kelandon, Thuryl, Terror's Martyr, Alorael, etc, who have played and finished the game. Every time I read the name 'Rentar' made me see red. Take Avernum 3's plot, Avernum 1's (or 2's) setting and Geneforge's engine and you get Avernum 4.

It wasn't like there were enough scenarios for Blades of Exile with the exact same premise.

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 18:53: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
I think it's fair to say that there is a core Spidweb engine, and however the technical details may have changed over time, if you look at the big picture, every game is pretty similar. Each game has its own variations, and different variations will appeal to different people.

If you're going to insult each other, at least have a good reason for it! Bashing each other over something so subjective is just silly.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

I think it's fair to say that there is a core Spidweb engine, and however the technical details may have changed over time, if you look at the big picture, every game is pretty similar. Each game has its own variations, and different variations will appeal to different people.
Bashing each other over something so subjective is just silly.

And I was merely stating that this particular variation made me retch. Everything is subjective. This is because complete elimination of bias is an impossibility. If you think that Avernum 4 is the best thing since sliced bread - that's fine with me. I would still think that you were wrong, however.

quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

If you're going to insult each other, at least have a good reason for it!
I took no offense at DOT.COMmunist's earlier attempt to insult me. I did take offense to DOT.COMmunist's assertion that I was pretentious. I am arrogant - not pretentious - there is a difference. I don't claim to have any great importance. I know that I am irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I do claim to have an opinion, which I will tout when I see fit and aggressively defend from spurious attacks.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
A4 has a terrible plot, a nice idea for a system that grows stale, unwaveringly unoriginal combat, and a horrible graphics package.
Buy BoE.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
DOT.COMmunist: Taking a shot at someone (even sideways, in the third person) is not encouraged around here, no matter how justifiable your criticism may be. You've only had four posts here. Try to make your future ones better than these have been.

CPeters: Some people find arrogance annoying, so try to keep it under control. People are going to insult you from time to time — I wish this were not the case, but it is — and getting angry about it (or calmly writing vitriol or whatever — "go play in traffic") is not terribly productive. Be the better man.

TM: Welcome back, I guess, after your week absence. Bear in mind that your membership still depends on your compliance with the CoC. That post is not against the rules, but some of your others today have been borderline.

Percinator: If you want to know further opinions, there have been a few other topics of this sort since A4 was released. You can read those, if you like. This topic dies the death.

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 22:38: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00