Avernum 4 Process doesn't end.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 Process doesn't end.
Apprentice
Member # 5230
Profile #0
I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on a Pentium 4 machine.

Often, when exiting Avernum 4, I will press (alt-F4) instead of going to the Game Menu and clicking Quit from there. If I don't quit the game from the Game Menu, there is still a process running when I bring up the Task Manager. In fact there is a process left running every time I exit the game using (alt-F4)

It doesn't seem to adversely effect the program, but it does occupy a portion of memory. If I don't reboot my computer, I have to open the Task Manager and end each instance of the process manually.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
For what it's worth, this error does not appear in G4 or A4 on Windows 2000, SP4.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
Why are you using Alt-F4 instead of exiting from the game menu? Seriously, how hard is it to use the menu? I understand that you think this is a problem, but if you aren't going to exit the game the proper way, you should expect the possibility of it not working correctly.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 5230
Profile #3
Because it's quicker. Alt-F4 is a universal Windows command that has been around since the creation of the Windows operating system. Normally, when a program is coded to run in Windows, you would capture the commands that you don't want to allow as a part of error trapping.

[ Friday, October 05, 2007 16:42: Message edited by: fdrown2226 ]
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
Well, with games you should exit correctly.
What you are doing is like opening the thing where the disk goes on a console while it is on!

It isn't hard to press Esc, then move your mouse down to where you can exit the game.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
This should have been caught in beta. I did test out all the normal stuff, and monitored for memory problems, but that was Windows 2000. Since Jeff programs on Mac and then ports, it isn't unlikely that these things could get missed.

If you like, email Jeff (using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the webpage) and describe the problem and your hardware and OS. You might receive a better answer than you are getting now. But, you may not. :)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Apprentice
Member # 5230
Profile #6
It's not really a big problem. I just wanted to point it out to make you aware.