clearing old games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: clearing old games
Apprentice
Member # 8395
Profile #0
query:
in G1,2 & 3, to clear out old saved games one merely had to delete the saved files from the game data file. however, when i try to do this for G4, i somehow ended up losing the programs .msi file. luckily i caught that before i emptied my trash!
so, how do i remove old saved files without trashing my entire game??!?
oh, might be helpful to mention using windows xp
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Why do you want to remove old saved games? You can always just save over them.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8395
Profile #2
this i know. but when i start a new game, i prefer to have all the old saved games gone because i tend to save each section using the same names game to game. gets a mite confusing to have three saved games named the same....
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
I found it's quicker to make a new game folder from the compressed file after renaming the old game. It takes time to find a saved gamed, but you don't lose any.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Aren't the G4 saved games actually in the My Documents folder now? That has been my experience with them on Windows XP at least, and removing the G4 Saved Games folder from My Documents should make the game generate a new folder and empty set of save files the next time you play it.

Dikiyoba.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
I just tried Dikiyoba's method and it seems to work fine. However, you should probably copy back Geneforge4Settings.dat file in the "Geneforge4 Saved Games" after the game regenerates this folder. I would also recommend renaming the old Saved Games folder rather than deleting it, so you'd have an option to go back to an older game.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 8395
Profile #6
many thankies, everyone. i had not noticed the game placed a folder in my documents. deleting all the sub folders EXCEPT the G4 settings file did the trick.

while the suggestion to save the old game in a different file would work, as a rule when i am done with the game, i don't revisit it. what can i say - i dislike having old games clogging up my hard drive....
Apprentice
Member # 5646
Profile #7
Is there anyway to force Geneforge 4 to keep it's saved files in a different directory?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #8
Probably not.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4