G4 Running Slowly (Windows)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: G4 Running Slowly (Windows)
Apprentice
Member # 8123
Profile Homepage #25
Yes, I have had the problem with the game running slow and did e-mail someone about it. Got no reply to that. However, it feels like the memory is not getting refreshed...over time it just gets slower and slower. The slow down is worse when the training or inventory menus are opened. End the game and the computer spends time dumping something a few seconds before it comes back. Also the memory usage on the task manager never comes all the way back to the level before the game was run, I do not know if this in normal of not. I can watch proc usage hit 90% on both cores when it is slowing down. I would say that it is not a hardware issue. AMD X2 3800, 2 GB of ram, 8800 GTS video card. lots of horsepower under the cover (it runs Oblivion as 1900 x 1200 res with all of the goods turned on). I would like to know what to do to make the game go faster.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 19:28: Message edited by: Benzdoc ]

--------------------
If it does not work...just reboot...if it does not work...just reboot...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Benzdoc:

Also the memory usage on the task manager never comes all the way back to the level before the game was run, I do not know if this in normal of not.
It's not; that suggests a memory leak, which unfortunately can be very difficult to fix. In any case, there's not a whole lot you can do about it except hope for an update.

One thing you can do is avoid running other programs at the same time as G4; SW games generally don't like running in the background or sharing CPU time with other programs.

[ Saturday, February 17, 2007 21:07: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 8123
Profile Homepage #27
So i turned everything off in the background and task bar. Get more time with the game running normal speed, but it still gets slow after a while and needs to restarted.

--------------------
If it does not work...just reboot...if it does not work...just reboot...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
In brainstorming ideas on this, I wondered if people have tried running any of the spy-ware finder software (Ad-aware, Spybot, etc). All this talk about memory drain makes me wonder if malware isn't somehow involved.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #29
I regularly sweep for malware on a weekly basis using 3 different programs, so I doubt this is the problem. On a more interesting note, it works on my Vista partition, so it's not a hardware problem.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 06:49: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #30
I'm using XP Home edition, on a reasonable computer (not the best specified here), and I'm not getting any slowdown.

I use ZoneAlarm, so that isn't an issue, although I do set it to block all internet access when I start playing. And I also have other apps open at the same time.

From what I'm reading, it's a problem with the game grabbing all the VM it can get, so, I don't know how feasible this is, but installing it onto a smaller hard drive might work.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #31
Okay, an update. I bought the game even though I never fixed the problem. Shutting down all the background processes I could didn't help. What does work (most of the time and at least for as long as I usually want/have time to play) is starting Geneforge 4 right away before everything finishes loading when I turn on/restart my computer, so there's something interfering with it.

And now, a new bug. I haven't tested it thoroughly and I'm too lazy to start a new topic, so it goes here. It's not an issue with the game because I redownloaded but it could be a corrupted save file. In two different zones I have consistent crashes. They seem to be triggered by having too much stuff (probably 100 or so items) piled in one area.

Dikiyoba.

Pages