A4 - Very Slugish on Windows XP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A4 - Very Slugish on Windows XP
Apprentice
Member # 1915
Profile #0
While the previous thread was very entertaining, with people attempting to analyze Jeff's threading model and message queue, I would like to get some good old fashioned technical support.

The game is running very slowly on my computer:

Windows XP Sp2
Intel P4 3.2 Ghz, HT
1.5 GB Mem
Asus (nvidia) 6600 GT 128 MB

EQ II set on high runs smooth as silk, so I don't think my computer is the issue, unless A4 is conflciting with something special.

Any ideas?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
well, I've had the same issue, and nothing seems to help. It is bad enough at times that the border mouseclicks don't do anything, and I'm left with keyboard only. Try turning off the sound, or whatever is available in the preferences, or hope (like me) that Jeff finds the problem and turns out a patch or update.

Sorry to not be very helpful, I've given up.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
Try running the game after a fresh restart with no other programs running. Does this help?

Also, try reinstalling your display drivers (and perhaps DirectX). Odd problems like this are often fixed by this (even if your display drivers are up to date ... sometimes they become corrupted).

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 1915
Profile #3
Ok, upgraded to DirectX Dec 2005... I was at 9.0c ... not sure if there was anything actually upgraded, and I updated to the latest NVidia drivers.

Rebooted my comp, stopped all other programs.

At first the game ran pretty smoothly, but over the course of the next few hours it slowly deteriorated.

I am sorry, but I forgot to check memory / handles / threads / GDI objects ... maybe you have a leak somewhere? I will try and check it out next time I play.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #4
Thanks for letting me know. I'm adding something to the support page now. Anything else you notice is greatly appreciated.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 6853
Profile #5
As I noted on the other thread the game leaks like crazy if you have two displays and makes the game run at a crawl. After turning off my second display everything ran fine. If no fix is provided there should atleast be a warning if the game detects several active displays :P .
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Terinol:

As I noted on the other thread the game leaks like crazy if you have two displays and makes the game run at a crawl. After turning off my second display everything ran fine. If no fix is provided there should atleast be a warning if the game detects several active displays :P .
Odd. I've had no problems running A4 on my desktop with 2 displays.

Edit: This is my fabled 400th post. I would like to dedicate it to a member who was banned a mere week ago.

oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!
oh yeah the 400 post!

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 09:23: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
Cute, Tyro.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
Glad you liked it. ;)

Too bad I used my 400th post in Tech Support where few people will see it.

[ Monday, March 20, 2006 19:04: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #9
Happy 400.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.