A4 Windows 99% cpu time

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A4 Windows 99% cpu time
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #25
The Avernum engine isn't actually doing anything except checking over and over to see if it needs to do anything, I think. It's not a very efficient system, and there are better ways to do event handling.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #26
Some people have reported a strange slowness in the game. It should really run swiftly on the machines being reported (and should be fast on a brand new machine). It seems to be a very uncommon problem, related to some weird interaction without some video card or piece of installed software or something.

At this point, I really don't know what to do about it, because I have no idea what might be causing the problem. Since the vast majority of machines run the game with no problem, it's pretty unlikely to be a problem with my code.

The best thing I can recommend is to play the game after a fresh restart and without any other programs running. Some other program might be trying to grab some resource the game needs.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #27
I had problems all though the beta with random slowness on my machine, mostly when I tried doing a screen capture. (On a Mac) Whole system would slow to a crawl. And most of the time, I couldn't get the screen capture to work on the first try, I had to keep jabbing the key repeatedly.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #28
I've often gotten CPU usage at around 97-99% when using any Spiderweb game that came after Avernum 2, including the A4 demo I fleeting tried out.

I'll use an example where I can actually remember the details: Blades of Avernum slowed down to less than snail's pace when an NPC was trying to return to their starting position and couldn't. CPU load went from almost nothing (20~%) to almost everything (97-99%).

Regardless of whether this is an issue with Jeff's code, or the OS itself, It would be nice if he done a little experimenting and tried to find a work-around of some sort.

Personally, seeing some of his source from the BoA Editor, I'd be inclined to say that it is an issue with Jeff's code in general. While it might work fine in most circumstances, truly well written code can almost always compensate for an OS's deficiencies.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #29
When the game is being played, it will grab as much of the CPU as it can. This is a game thing, and it's not going to change. Getting a good FPS rate is a processor-intensive thing.

When the game isn't in the foreground, it is taking up most of the CPU, but it shouldn't. I am working on making this stop happening. The next release of Avernum 4 for Mac will be well-behaved when running in the background. I'll work on Windows next.

What I am most interested in, now, is Avernum 4 specifically for Windows specifically. A small number of people are reporting slowness on very up-to-date machines, and I'm trying to track down why. I will post something shortly on this issue.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #30
I've found that my anti-virus program (AntiVir) interacts strangely with my graphics card (NVidia GeForce), not only when playing games, also in some other cases. Would some of you who run anti-virus software in the background turn it off and watch, if that makes a difference? It could just be my software that's creating a problem for me, or it could be a more generalized weirdness.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
I tried mef, but it was very similar. I use Norton AV Corp 7.6 and Norton Firewall 2005, but turned both off and re-ran A4. It still stutters when going on a long walk, even when there are no obstacles. The oddest thing (Jeff, listen) is that after alt-tabbing back to A4 from the Task Manager, the left-mouse button does not function as a left mouse button. Instead it gives info on objects (like it was the right button), but it will click through a check box.

Something wierd this way comes.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Pages