A4 Causing Crashes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A4 Causing Crashes
Apprentice
Member # 5686
Profile #0
First off my specs:
1.25 GHz G4
256 MB SDRAM
eMac first generation

Basically, once I started playing A4, the computer would crash completely (you can only hard reboot with the power button) every three hours or so while playing. It wouldn't crash when I wasn't playing. At a random point, the screen gets scrambled and a few seconds later the computer gets completely frozen, ignoring keyboard and mouse.

Anyone else had this problem? I'm curious, as it seems to have affected my system as well. Whenever I do a large download outside of safe mode, the computer has the same thing happen to it.

I'm not completely sure the game is causing it, maybe the fact that it takes up 90% of my CPU during play has something to do with it. Either way, I need to get this fixed.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #1
If the same thing happens outside of the game, it's pretty much impossible that the game is causing it.

As for what's actually causing the problem....well, it sounds like a dying video card at first glance (scrambled screen) or overheating problems. But neither of those seem very likely in an old eMac. :confused:

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by SNM:

If the same thing happens outside of the game, it's pretty much impossible that the game is causing it.
Not entirely true, given what he's describing.

I had a lot of crashes in beta testing that were related to audio, and we never really figured out what was going on. Do you ever get a kernel panic (a bunch of writing starts appearing on the upper-right corner), a grayed-out screen with a message in the middle in several languages instructing you to reboot, or a crash report?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Do you ever hide A4 or otherwise switch out of it when it's running? A4 seems to really hate that, and it can lead to weird behaviour and crashes.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 6590
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by SNM:

Not entirely true, given what he's describing.

a grayed-out screen with a message in the middle in several languages instructing you to reboot, or a crash report?

Yea this happens to me all the time. The reboot screen thing. I don't really know why.
Apprentice
Member # 5686
Profile #5
Hmm... I do command-tab out quite often. I guess that could be causing it..... But I've never gotten the reboot screen thing. Closest I've gotten was a strange bunch of gibberish appearing wherever my mouse is.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Is there some technical reason why A4 (and other games) are so unhappy with ever being in the background? I have to say, it's kind of annoying.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
I have an iBook G4 with 1.25 GByte memory. I get screen freezes requiring a full reboot with no other programs running. It seems to be worst when I put the computer to sleep for a quick break although it sometimes happens just as I move the cursor. It has gotten better with A4 version 1.0.1 beta.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Well, short of advising you to stop putting the computer into sleep mode to reduce the number of freezes, I have no advice to give you. Sorry.

Dikiyoba.