16 bit ms dos subsystem

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 16 bit ms dos subsystem
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #0
Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this? when i try to click into exile 3 i get that message about it and i cant acsess the file :mad:
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Sounds like your computer just might be too new to play Exile. What version of Windows are you using?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #2
im using xp but the strange thing is it was working a couple of months ago on the same computer :confused:
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
You must have updated with one of MS's fun service packs. Those seem to screw things up consistently. If you haven't tried reinstalling, then do so. If that doesn't work, click Start|Help|and then type '16'. You should get a list of help topics that explain why 16-bit isn't working. I run Windows 2000, and that list included video, sound, conflicts, and other goodies.

If it is available, click Start|Run and type 'command.com'. If that works, then change directories manually to the E3 executable and try running it that way.

The only other thing I can think of is that the shortcut (Start options are shortcuts too) has some option set incorrectly. Try right-clicking on the shortcut and select properties. If something looks like it is wrong, change it. After all, things can't get worse than they are now.

FYI, E3 works on this computer, which has service pack 4 installed.

*this message sponsored by the pro bono research division of my desktop services*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #4
Couldn't get it to work but thanks for the help anyway
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #5
Sorry bout this but i need more help :( ! Now i cant delete the installer for exile 3, I get that message about it being in use by another program or person!?! can anyone help?
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #6
I don't know, if you have the Home Version or the Professional Edition, either way the file you need to fix your compatibility problem can be downloaded from here:

Exile fix for XP

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 05:57: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
You might try running in Windows 95 mode or something like that. There's a chance. But I wouldn't count on it.

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 5866
Profile Homepage #8
If the original error you were getting is referring to config.nt or autoexec.nt, you can try this to fix the problem.

1. Go to the Windows\System32 folder, and rename the files autoexec.nt and config.nt to autoexec.nt.old and config.nt.old, respectively (if you can't find one or both of the files, don't worry about it - this is probably what is causing the error in the first place).
2. Go to the Windows\Repair folder, and copy (not move) the autoexec.nt and config.nt files there to Windows\System32.
3. Kind of an extra step, but it doesn't hurt - set the config.nt and autoexec.nt files now in Windows\System32 to read-only. (right-click the file, left-click Properties on the menu. From the window, put a check in "Read-Only", and click OK.)
4. Now the easy step - reboot. =P (This'll probably fix that error where the installer is already in use, too.)
5. Try out the game again.

Can't take credit for any of this, really - most of it's here, but it's easier getting the files from the hard drive than the CD.

Hope this helps out some.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
refering to post above:

The files I suggested for download do exactly that. They are a selfextracting .exe. SkeleTony found them when he confronted a like problem and gave them to several people here.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Apprentice
Member # 5866
Profile Homepage #10
It does? Whoops. I didn't check, because I didn't want to download executables without knowing what they did.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
Most executables are fine to download as long as you just clicked the download link and it's something you want. Strange E-mail attachments you definately want to watch out for, though.

--------------------
-ben4808
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #12
Are you using the 64-bit version of Windows XP?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #13
i suggest grabbign a demo of VMware Virtual Workstation [ http://vmware.com ] and making a virtual Win98 or Win2K box to run exile
if it works: then go ahead and get an sn to continue using it. if not: uninstall it

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Apprentice
Member # 5739
Profile #14
Cheers lads for your help! I will try a few of those