Save Problem: Geneforge 3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Save Problem: Geneforge 3
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #0
When I try to save in Geneforge 3, it says it can't create a save file and to try another save slot. It also displays the term: "Error 3"

Help, Please.

Thank You

-- Diarog Lethuta
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #1
This advice is based on using Geneforge 1, on a Mac. In your Geneforge folder, check in the Geneforge files.
There should be 16 save folders, named Save0, Save1, etc, to Save15. Make sure they're all there. When I deleted some/all of the folders, I got the same error message as you describe.
Hope this helps.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Also make sure you have enough disk space left to save your game in, of course.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #3
No, all the save folders are there and I have more than enough drive space. It must be something else.

-- Diarog Lethuta
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #4
Have you moved the Geneforge application outside the main folder? If so try, putting it back.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
Even if the Folders are there (save0, save1 etc.) check that they all heave that standard (empty) file: temp

If that's not there, I've found it can lead to messing up your save slot...

So make sure that they all have the temp file in them...

Ofcourse, this is running a WINDOWS computer, not sure what you're running.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #6
I'm running Windows XP. Do you think that my not being logged as the admin might be the problem? I have lower privlages, and in some cases(like installing programs), the system won't let me write to the disk.

-- Diarog Lethuta
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Is the Geneforge application trying to write to an area where you don't have permissions? Saving and exiting a zone (autosave) would do that.

Can you move or copy it to an area where you can definitely write?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
"Is the Geneforge application trying to write to an area where you don't have permissions? Saving and exiting a zone (autosave) would do that.

Can you move or copy it to an area where you can definitely write?" -- Drakefyre
Nope. I should be allowed to save where I'm saving (the normal save slots). Even when I autosave and quicksave the problem continues.

-- Diarog Lethuta
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
I think Drake was refering to the area on the hard drive where the game exists. Check the permissions on that directory to verify that your normal logon name (not admin) is able to enjoy full control of that space. I run Win 2000, and that info is located by right clicking the directory, then selecting properties, then selecting the security tab. Highlight the username, or everyone, and make sure that full control has a checkmark in the "allow" column.

I hate XP, so I can't guide you as effectively, but it should be similar, or at least the words used wil be familiar.

*this message funded by gates - guys against tyrannical enterprise software*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Diarog Lethuta:

quote:
"Is the Geneforge application trying to write to an area where you don't have permissions? Saving and exiting a zone (autosave) would do that.

Can you move or copy it to an area where you can definitely write?" -- Drakefyre
Nope. I should be allowed to save where I'm saving (the normal save slots). Even when I autosave and quicksave the problem continues.

-- Diarog Lethuta

To clarify on what Jumpin' salmon said (since he wasn't as familiar with winXP:

It is pretty much as simple as right-clicking on the Geneforge 3 Folder, and pressing on properties. Then press on the security tab, and check if it's set to "Full Control". If it isn't, try pressing the full control thing. If that doesn't work, there is a workaround that sometimes works (depends on how paranoid the system admin is). The workaround is: Press on advanced, and make sure that the "Inherit permissions from parents" button is de-selected (it defaults to being selected). De-Select it. Then it should ask wehter you would like to Copy the parents permissions, or Remove. Click Remove. Then just add your username, giving yourelf full control.

- Archmagus Micael

[ Sunday, July 10, 2005 08:41: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)