Monsters resetting in BoE

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Monsters resetting in BoE
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
I'm trying to play VoDT, and the monsters in the dungeons keep coming back to life. I kill a bunch of monsters, go back to town, heal up and spend my gold, come back, and voila! Same monsters that I already killed are now attacking me. Now, maybe I'm just a stupid Avernum user, but when I kill monsters, I expect them to STAY DEAD. Is this not true of the Exile series? Is something going wrong? Do people know what I'm talking about?

If it matters, I'm running Mac OS 10.2.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
It's not a bug, it's a feature!

After visiting four other towns, monsters in dungeons reset unless the scenario designer makes nodes to kill them/keep them dead.

Most scenarios will not have this problem.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #2
You should like them reseting when you get to a level where no one will fight o so mighty you *ahem*

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
No, it's offical: I hate the Exile engine.

That's okay. I think the Nethergate/Avernum engine is outstanding.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #4
The Avernum engine lets monsters regenerate as well, but it's easier to fight them off.

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #5
Nethergate/Avernum does tend to have better mechanics for the kinds of stories Spiderweb likes to tell. But any number of talented Blades designers have taught me that, should you want to tell some other kind of story, the dowdy old Exile engine can do some spectacular things.

If you can excuse VoTD's gameplay suffering from its understandable interest in demonstrating design featuers to prospective scenario authors, it is worth slogging through it and the other prepackaged scenarios. Good stuff lies beyond.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.