Avernum 3 Lockups

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 3 Lockups
Apprentice
Member # 2115
Profile #0
I am running Avernum 3 v1.1.1 on MacOS 9.1. I am experiencing lockups every 15-30 minutes, in which I have to force reboot the machine. This is driving me crazy! Are there any solutions to this; or is this a new problem?
Apprentice
Member # 2114
Profile #1
Could be a memory issue. How much memory do you have on your machine? Do you play straight from the 9.1 operating system, or through a classic window in version X? Do you use other programs at the same time? For instance, have a CD in (playing or not a CD or floppy can cause these types of memory problems). Are you conected to the internet while playing? If you do any of these while playing a large game like that it can cause a lock up/freeze. I had problems like that when I ran classic through X...and before I bought more memory.

--------------------
do not tell me what i can and cannot do when i rock
Apprentice
Member # 2114
Profile #2
one more thought... if you have plenty of memory on your mac, it may be that you aren't giving the game enough memory. Try locating the game icon on your hard drive, click/ highlight it and hit "apple i". Or use the pull-down menu under "file" and click on "get information". From there you can use the pull down menu and find "memory" in the box that shows up for get info. If it shows a recommended kb or mb, make the number a little bigger by re-typing it. That may or may not help. *warning* do not go crazy if you increase the memory...the game can also be a memory hog.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 2115
Profile #3
I am not running X, and I am connected to the internet while playing. This problem occurs in v1.0.1 as well. I've got the ram, so I guess I'll try that approach.

BTW this is the demo.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1444
Profile #4
Lpoo there is a edit message buttom for a reason........ Oh and, I am playing the demo too, but I am using Mac os 9.2 , it is probably a memory problem. Is it a laptop or a "normal" comp that you are using?
Apprentice
Member # 2115
Profile #5
Powermac 7600 mobo, G4 400mhz, voodoo3/4/5[not sure].

Anyhow, I played for the past 2 hours with not lockups, and I did not change the memory settings. This is really really weird.
Apprentice
Member # 2114
Profile #6
Sorry i did not know what the "edit message" botton ment...sheeze I'm a newbie k? *Lpoo blushes*
Anyway, sounds like a weird problem. One thing is that when I ran 9.etc operating systems I found out there were a lot more bugs than something like X, although 9.2 was a better fix than the 9.whatevers before. Might be a machine thing-or maybe a demo thing-perhaps a new fresh download is required. Obvious drawback is the loss of your saved games. Hope it works good in the future w/ out any more problems-seems good for now eh? (cross fingers?) ;)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1444
Profile #7
quote:
Originally posted by Lpoo:
Sorry i did not know what the "edit message" botton ment...sheeze I'm a newbie k? *Lpoo blushes*
It's allright Lpoo, we all are newbies at some time, but now you have learned the awsome power of editing. Use editing to avoid being called a spammer. *back to topic* Well, maybe it was just a pemporery problem, but Lpoo's Idea of re-downloading it might be worth trying if you experience problems again. But I don't think you need to delet the save files if you don't want to.

[ Sunday, October 20, 2002 20:49: Message edited by: Slithzerikai Rogue ]
Apprentice
Member # 2115
Profile #8
I copied my game from v1.1.1 and it ran just fine in v1.0.1. It worked without any fuss.