The accumulated skill points

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The accumulated skill points
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #0
I have just finished the second island and got a lot of skill points to spend yet not so sure what I will be facing next. As a result, I don't dare upgrading my agent. Anyway, I am doing all right at the moment and that is also one of the reasons I haven't added any points to any of my skills.

I probably could add a few more points to my magic spells but what about leadership and mechanics if I would need them later?

So far, I am able to get along fine with 8 points for each and with the help of the tinker's gloves and the livetools, everything is just ok. (I could have used unlock spell too but didn't b/c I won't get exp. that way.)

Don't know if anyone has the hard time with the decision as I do or not.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5931
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Dragongirl:

I probably could add a few more points to my magic spells but what about leadership and mechanics if I would need them later?

So far, I am able to get along fine with 8 points for each and with the help of the tinker's gloves and the livetools, everything is just ok. (I could have used unlock spell too but didn't b/c I won't get exp. that way.)

Don't know if anyone has the hard time with the decision as I do or not.

Spending exp. points on leadership and mechanics is always a good thing. Later in the game, you will need at least 12 leadership and 14 mechanics. Strength and endurance were big "purchases" for me as well as healing.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #2
how about luck?

how many points do you really need for the game?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
Luck determines if rogues will drop certain items or not, if I am not mistaken. I only invested four points in luck, and didn't have any problems.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #4
I've never put more than 1 point into luck and never had any problems. I suppose if you are crafting lots of wands/gems to use you would want higher luck to ensure more bits of rogue drop, but otherwise I've found it to be useless.

Oh, and when Nanabanana says you need at least 12 leadership and 14 mechanics, I'd like to add that these numbers include equipment boosts. Personally I'm not sure I ever put my leadership past 10, so I don't know if I missed something somewhere, but I've never seen anyone on here refer to an event or conversation I hadn't seen. As for mechanics, more is almost always better, but I generally stop around 12 -- there are (I think) a possible 7 points in mech equipment available.

-- SPOILER --
you actually need a (total) mech of 20 to "clear" the monastery of tears.
Apprentice
Member # 2634
Profile #5
For mechanics, you need a max of 20 as mentioned to turn off a certain machine. There are 2 places to improve mechanics if you are willing to let others shape you (if I remember right). Other than that, you can get +9 from items:

+2 tinker's gloves
+4 +1 each infiltrator's cloak, vest, shield, charm
+2 infiltrator's ring
+1 tinker's bauble

So if you are willing to be shaped, you need 9 base mechanics. 11 base if you aren't willing to be shaped.

For leadership, I think my agent had a base of 7 or so, which was more than enough with +leadership items.
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #6
My shaper has 15 leadership without item boost or being shaped. You can say I'm wasting skill points, but a world-class conversationalist is fun to play.

My agents don't train in strength or endurance though. 15 action points and strong daze seem more than sufficient.

In GF2 I saw a strange phenomenon. My agent has a charmed falcon, holding it gives her 13 luck. In Benerii-Uss Entry her daze (65% to hit) always hits the sw gazer. Later she switched to the spectre dirk, her luck dropped to 8. Then her kill (91% to hit) missed the same sw gazer three times in a row. She didn't have the forth time b/c the gazer killed her immediately afterwards. Luck seemed to play the same row in Sharon's grove, her 89% to hit spell always missed the experimentals if she didn't have some points in luck. In GF3 my shapers have decent luck so I don't know. Has anyone seen the same or was it my halucination?
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #7
I don't know about hit percentage but I have to disagree with item dropping having to do w/ luck.

Maybe this should bear further investigation but from my experience, it doesn't seem much different having luck or not. First time I tried this G3, I got some quite nice body parts from the Bridge in Greenwood without any point of luck whatsoever.

Later, I got the luck charm and I get some quite nice items on and off - I don't think that different from 3 points of luck.

However, some items could only be found with certain of luck such as the key in fort wilton (though I still get exp compensated for breaking in the storages).

I wonder that some boxes or crates that I have looked and showed emptiness could have something to do with luck in my stat?

If I have more points of luck, will they have some items?
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #8
i have 17 points of luck with my current character (no, i'm not quite that crazy... 11 of those points are from items) and i haven't noticed any large differences in my ability to get stuff to happen. rogues still don't drop very many body parts (which is frustrating, because when i start meeting more rotgroth i want to get their fangs, and if it goes at the current rate i'll have to kill a lot of them to get even one, and i want lots).

but anyways, like i was saying... i'm not having much luck with luck. haven't noticed any difference (although that isn't to say there isn't one... i might just not be noticing).

however, i do admit i seem to hit more often than i used to... not sure if that's due to other things though, as i haven't kept track of my attack skills or anything (i'm a shaper... if something is still alive after two rounds of me powering up my creations, chances are someone needs healing by then, so i seldom bother attacking.)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #9
I don't see the improvement of my hit either. Maybe it might be useful with higher level monsters.

Anyway, I am now wearing clover boots and I still have to reload often to get some artila eyes for my blessed necklace. (it sells at good price.)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
Luck's improvement in chance of getting good items is supposed to be too small to notice in 1 battle. The idea is that over the course of entire game you might find 8 Artilla Eyes, instead of 5.

Another effect Luck has is improving your armor by 2% and every basic resistance by 1%. That's not much, but it add up, so items that give you luck, but have lower armor values migh actually improve your armor more than items that don't.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 08:12: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #11
oh, i know about the armor improvements and everything. i'm just talking about finding items. and to date, i have found maybe 3 or 4 body parts from killing rogues (other than drayk scales, which i think some drayks just automatically drop anyways, but i'm not sure).

and i'm on gull island now (at whatshisfaces tower).