Inner Keep problems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Inner Keep problems
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #25
For a lot of people, this is my opinion and everone knows what opinions are worth, higher post count earns higher respect. I was quite proud of my Adept status when I had it. I also had a 5 star rating at the time with a 3 digit member number. And will admit I was quite miffed at losing it.

But I've learned over the last few years in life that a title and nickle can only buy you a cup of coffee. It's the person that brings respect....

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 07:46: Message edited by: arkadilo ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #26
Out of curiosity, do you know what your old member number was?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6092
Profile #27
I've enjoyed this discussion about proper etiquette in the forum. On several occasions I've seen criticisms of poor grammar, excessive typos, and double postings, and I've winced to think how the original poster must feel about the response. On the other hand, folks have a legitimate concern about clear, efficient communication. And how can new people become full members of the community without occasional guidance from those who are more experienced?

Enforcing rules of communication isn't just about effectiveness, though; it's also about power and social class. For example, if I say "I ain't got no shoes," almost everyone will understand exactly what I mean, despite the bad grammar. So if clarity isn't the issue, why does that sentence bother some people? I'd say it's because we have a natural tendency to divide ourselves into groups for the purpose of considering ourselves superior to others. Have you ever wondered where the notion of correct grammar comes from? Generally, "correct" grammar is however rich people speak and write, regardless of the specific language or culture. And they control access to the upper class by insisting that outsiders adopt the same way of speaking and writing (among other things). On the Internet, no one can see how you're dressed, where you shop, or who you have lunch with--so language becomes even more prominent in deciding who's in and who's out.

I'd be willing to bet that Marlenny intended no insult by the use of the term "sweety" when addressing Holly--on the contrary, it was probably an attempt to be friendly and soften the impact of the request to avoid double postings. But my eyebrows certainly shot up when I saw the word, and I wasn’t a bit surprised when Holly fired off the reply that she's "not sweetie or honey or baby or anything like that." Consciously or not, Marlenny was asserting a position of superiority: if you're going to play with us, you're going to play by our rules. Relative newcomers (including me) got the message loud and clear.

So remember: language is power; use it wisely.

(Hey, I've got an idea for G4: a new Language spell that enables you to talk your opponents to death. I think I'd be good at that....)
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #28
Sorry, I don't remember the number and can't even remember the id. I'm wanting to say it was 'Colt'. I called up Spidweb and they looked into it and said that for some reason, several id's were corrupted and could not be restored. This happened about 3 years ago now if I'm not mistaken.

And as for the communication part, I there should be certain etiquite upheld and enforced, absolutely. But the enforcement needs to be left to moderators who are on here all the time. One member should never correct another member unless you want to post it privately to them about the mistake. Posting for all to see would likely make the original poster feel embarassed and uncomfortable, no matter how nice it is put.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:44: Message edited by: arkadilo ]
Apprentice
Member # 3851
Profile #29
Thanks to all who have weighed in on the subject of ettiquette.

Arkadillo, I couldn't agree more with your feelings about corrections being a moderator's job and not members of the forum.

Trina, I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks. If you wince and I wince just reading what is said to others, we can't be alone in this. Probably many people have fled this place because of this.

As to post count, I don't give a flip, folks. And I do think it's disingenuous (and a putdown) to welcome someone to the forum who joined it more than a year and a half ago. I have visited here off and on, reading more than talking. Why? I find out what I need to know by the "search" option. You can play the "you're a newbie" game with me all you like. I'm obviously not. I have a life with other things to do, so I don't hang out here. But I'm not going to be relegated to some lowly status by people into titles and post counts and what not. Stand back for a minute, folks, and look at this. Silly. Trivial. These are games. They're fun. This is a forum to talk about all this fun we're having playing these games. It's not a place to act out power struggles.

As Arkadillo said, it's the person, not the title or the perceived power that earns the respect.

Trina, are you a writer? You should be.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #30
As administrator of these forums, what I want most is an open environment where people can get help when they need it, talk about Spidweb games, talk to other people who enjoy the same games, and just have a good time. Since these are Spiderweb Software's official company message boards, it's in the interests of the administrators and moderators to keep people here and keep people happy, because happy people are likely to buy more games.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
Holly: I fail to see how snarking at someone for an effort to improve your etiquette is any better than snarking at someone for bad etiquette.

I do recognize that many on these boards have been unpleasant at times, but you have to recognize when someone is being harsh and when someone is not. When someone says you are a damned idiot who should be shot, you are being insulted. When someone asks you politely to change something about your manner to be more in accordance with the CoC, you are not. Keep a sense of due proportion and be aware that you can't hear others' tone of voice.

Trina: Often people use AIM-speak when online, and it takes considerably longer to read and understand, "aye so i was lik3 havn tubl wit da genfore ni da kepe thin or whatevah," than it does to read and understand, "Hi all. I'm in Dhonal's Keep and am having trouble with the mountain pass." Correcting people's grammar has at least as much to do with easing written communication as it does with enforcing some sort of class structure.

To clarify the rules: Being nasty is wrong because it's wrong, not because you're not supposed to correct people's grammar. Politely correcting someone's etiquette or grammar is fine. I know Marlenny, and I'm pretty sure she was trying to be friendly, not condescending.

Double-posting is against the CoC, but it's probably the most minor infraction, so Holly, now that you know not to do it, don't get too worked up about having been corrected, but don't double-post unless you are responding to two entirely separate quotes (and are quoting them in your post) or unless you need to bump a several-day-old topic for a legitimate reason.

I'm pretty sure we're done here. The question in this topic has been answered, as far as I can tell, and other than trying to assign blame (never a productive activity), there's nothing else we can say about the rules. Therefore I shall lock this now.

If anyone needs clarification on anything, PM me.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 13:12: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages